Help: Linksys Cable/DSL sharing 4-port router + wireless home network using Win98 Internet Connection Sharing

Help: Linksys Cable/DSL sharing 4-port router + wireless home network using Win98 Internet Connection Sharing

Post by E. Smit » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 05:08:37

I've got the popular Linksys 4-port Cable/DSL sharing router. Sorry I don't
have the P/N at my fingertips.

I have the router between my Win98 SE desktop machine and my (Time-Warner)
Motorola cable modem.  I can access the internet via this desktop computer
with no problems.

I have a Win95 notebook connected to this desktop machine using Proxim
Symphony wireless network cards. I use Win98's Internet Connection Sharing
(ICS) to give internet access to the notebook. Without the router, this
works fine. However, with the router in the loop, the laptop has not
internet access. If I take the router back out of the loop, the laptop can
see the internet again without a hitch.

Symphony (the makers of my wireless card) want me to buy their wireless
access point, so they don't support other internet connection sharing
solutions, such as proxy software and Win98's ICS.  So I don't expect much
help from them.

I've waited on hold for Linksys without reaching a human. I haven't sent
them any e-mail yet. I didn't find any answers on their site or elsewhere on
the net.

Can anyone help me with this?

TIA,

-e.

Help: Linksys Cable/DSL sharing 4-port router + wireless home network using Win98 Internet Connection Sharing

Post by Eagley » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 11:13:50

You cannot run both the linksys and ICS at the same time. They both try to
serve up ip addresses in different ranges.
Try to give the laptop a static IP in the range that ICS likes
(192.168.0.x). Set the default gateway to 192.168.0.1 (your desktop with ICS
enabled). Also make sure to assign the DNS IPs of your ISP to the win95
machine.

One other thing you could try is to change the default IP range of the
linksys from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.0.x. If you do this, make sure to set
the range high enough not to conflict with ICS (For your 2 machines I would
set the Linksys to serve up 192.168.0.100 and up)

Quote:> I've got the popular Linksys 4-port Cable/DSL sharing router. Sorry I
don't
> have the P/N at my fingertips.

> I have the router between my Win98 SE desktop machine and my (Time-Warner)
> Motorola cable modem.  I can access the internet via this desktop computer
> with no problems.

> I have a Win95 notebook connected to this desktop machine using Proxim
> Symphony wireless network cards. I use Win98's Internet Connection Sharing
> (ICS) to give internet access to the notebook. Without the router, this
> works fine. However, with the router in the loop, the laptop has not
> internet access. If I take the router back out of the loop, the laptop can
> see the internet again without a hitch.

> Symphony (the makers of my wireless card) want me to buy their wireless
> access point, so they don't support other internet connection sharing
> solutions, such as proxy software and Win98's ICS.  So I don't expect much
> help from them.

> I've waited on hold for Linksys without reaching a human. I haven't sent
> them any e-mail yet. I didn't find any answers on their site or elsewhere
on
> the net.

> Can anyone help me with this?

> TIA,

> -e.

Help: Linksys Cable/DSL sharing 4-port router + wireless home network using Win98 Internet Connection Sharing

Post by E. Smit » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 22:53:34

Thanks. I'll try these things this weekend.

-e.