Slow cable modem connection speeds possibly related to OS change

Slow cable modem connection speeds possibly related to OS change

Post by Amresh Pras » Wed, 12 Sep 2001 15:25:46

I had a perfectly good cable modem service from AT&T. I changed my OS
from NT4.0 to Windows 2000 Pro last week. Ever since, my network
connection speeds have gone down to ~40 kbps. Besides, the connections
have become spotty - sometimes part of a page will load, the rest will
just not come over the next few minutes. I am not sure whether this is
related to my OS change or whether it has persisted from before - I
had used my computer lightly in the days leading up to the OS change.
My suspicion is that I have substantial packet loss, however I have no
means of checking for that. Pinging distant servers gives me ping
times of 80-100 ms, with the occassional ping taking 200 - 500 ms, and
some even timing out. Traceroute tests to yahoo and amazon show 13 to
15 hops for packets to get there. Is this a reasonable number of hops?
Has anybody experienced a problem like this? Also, are there any tools
that can help track down the problem (both on the network and my
installation of Win2k)?

Slow cable modem connection speeds possibly related to OS change

Post by Vaugh » Thu, 13 Sep 2001 03:18:56

Did you do any tweaks under NT4.0?  If so, reverse them.  My Win2k will
occassionally drop off my network, it's just windows.  Number of hops is not
local so it's doesnt' really affect dowloads in that once you leave your
local area, it's the web. Pings are only important to gamers.  My quess is
the OS change.  Ping's should  give you packet losses if there are any, if
there aren't any that's not the problem.

Quote:> I had a perfectly good cable modem service from AT&T. I changed my OS

Post by Roger A. Krupsk » Thu, 13 Sep 2001 06:24:23

Quote:> I had a perfectly good cable modem service from AT&T. I changed my OS
> from NT4.0 to Windows 2000 Pro last week. Ever since, my network
> connection speeds have gone down to ~40 kbps.

Try these two things:

(1) Add the following to your registry:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
"GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize"=dword:00007fff
(thanks to John Navas, http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/ )

(2) Delete an entry from your registry. Go to the link below
and follow the instructions.

 http://members.aol.com/axcel216/newtip21.htm#BRSP

(thanks to AXCEL216's Max Speed Site, http://members.aol.com/axcel216/ )

These two mods have doubled my network performance with Windows 2K and
a cable modem.

Good luck

Roger

#  State University of New York at Buffalo      #
#  408 Furnas Hall, North (Amherst) Campus      #
#  Amherst, New York 14260-4200,  U.S.A.   [H]  #

1. Slow, slow connection with cable modem

Help! I got my cable modem put in last Wednesday, and it's running barely
faster than my 28.8 dial-up connection.

I'm with MediaOne in Massachusetts, and they have a 15MB test file that
you can download to test speed. So far, I've never achieved more than 80
Kps doing this, and right now I'm getting about 30K per second (OK, that's
faster than my dial-up, but it doesn't _feel_ faster when I'm surfing the
Web).

Here's the specs:

System: Mac Performa 5200CD

RAM: 48 MB (upgraded from 24 when the installer swore up and down the RAM
was the problem)

System software: Was Mac OS 8.0, then I went back to 7.5 in case the
Ethernet card's drivers weren't compatible with 8.0 (my dad's idea)

Ethernet card: Dayna CommSlot, purchased new last week

Networking software: Was Open Transport 1.2, then I went back to 1.1.2 on
the advice of the MediaOne phone tech support person

Web browser: Was Navigator 4.03, then the installer put on Navigator 3.0
Gold because he said it required less RAM (it requires more, but what the
heck)

Nothing I've tried so far has worked (obviously, or I wouldn't be begging
for help now). I've bumped the disk cache up to several MB, and the
installer came back and put his test modem on; we also tried moving the
modem to my other computer, a Power Mac 7500/90. None of these things
helped.

I also downloaded OT Advanced Tuner, which looked very promising, but
increasing the tcp_rwin_mss_multiplier setting from 1 to 8 didn't help,
and that's the only thing I knew to try (found a suggestion on a Web
page).

I'm in over my head here (for the first time since I started using Macs)
and would appreciate any suggestions (other than the "get a Windows/Linux
box" type :-). TIA.

Kate

2. Embedded HTML Forms in a Notes Page?

3. strange (possibly modem-related) UUCP problems

4. Drive sharing with XP client

5. REPOST: strange (possibly modem-related) UUCP problems

6. OpenVMS Implementation Questions

7. Modem Speed - possibly ESS modem?

8. Changing the modem speed from port speed to actual conneting speed

9. Change displayed connect speed from port speed to modem speed?

10. Slow ADSL d/l speed. CPU related?

11. modem connection speed too slow under Linux..

12. Slow Modem Connection Speed