How to use my own FTP software with Comcast?

How to use my own FTP software with Comcast?

Post by Paul Simo » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 13:04:21

I am leery of the downloads that Comcast tries to download when I try to
access my web space and file locker. Is it possible to use my own FTP
software to upload web pages and files?

If so, how would I go about doing it? All help appreciated.... Paul

How to use my own FTP software with Comcast?

Post by Ed Wurste » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 23:11:48

Paul,

The information that Ken posted is very useful.

In case you were asking specifically about FTP software, I am using SmartFTP
1.0. I have tried a few others, but keep coming back to this as it works
very well for me.

You can drag files from explorer to the open folder in SmartFTP.

If you have a Mac, try Fetch.

Ed

I am leery of the downloads that Comcast tries to download when I try to
access my web space and file locker. Is it possible to use my own FTP
software to upload web pages and files?

If so, how would I go about doing it? All help appreciated.... Paul

How to use my own FTP software with Comcast?

Post by Paul Simo » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 00:57:30

Ed.... thanks.

I am currently using Powerdesk, which has FTP built into it. I suspect as
time goes on, I may need something more powerful. Right now Powerdesk is
serving my needs.

You are correct.... Ken's post was very helpful. Too bad I had to go to Ken
for it instead of getting it straight from Comcast. I know... in my dreams!

Thanks again... Paul

> Paul,

> The information that Ken posted is very useful.

> In case you were asking specifically about FTP software, I am using
SmartFTP
> 1.0. I have tried a few others, but keep coming back to this as it works
> very well for me.

> You can drag files from explorer to the open folder in SmartFTP.

> If you have a Mac, try Fetch.

> Ed

> I am leery of the downloads that Comcast tries to download when I try to
> access my web space and file locker. Is it possible to use my own FTP
> software to upload web pages and files?

> If so, how would I go about doing it? All help appreciated.... Paul

How to use my own FTP software with Comcast?

Post by Kenny Ferrell » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 07:51:40

I have tried this procedure with Smart FTP but I cannot get it to work.  I
cannot login.  Any thoughts ?? I have re-entered my username and password
multiple time to be sure they were correct.

Kenny

> >I am leery of the downloads that Comcast tries to download when I try to
> >access my web space and file locker. Is it possible to use my own FTP
> >software to upload web pages and files?

> >If so, how would I go about doing it? All help appreciated.... Paul

> Here's some information that I was able to gather together that helped
> me to upload my webpages without installing any Comcast software.
> Ken (seeker42)

> To create web pages with your FTP program:

> Start your FTP program (WS, SmartFTP, etc.).

> Enter mywebpages.comcast.net for the URL or server name.

> Enter your login name and password.

> password: E-mail address password

> After login you will see:
> One master folder.
> Inside the master are at least two more:
> myfilelocker &
> mywebpages

> If you create other personalities or email accounts, all of the
> accounts' web and file space is ALSO inside the master folder just
> mentioned.  So that even if you create 5 sub accounts, they are all
> inside the master folder, and your subscription's 25 mb storage space is
> what is ultimately available for all your accounts, *combined*.

> The folder called myfilelocker is only accessible to you or anyone with
> your password.  The other folder, called mywebpages, because it's *meant*
> to put up a publicly-accessible web page, is a public folder and anyone
> can access it anytime.

> Open the mywebpages folder and upload your files there.  Their address
> would then be mywebpages.comcast.net/mainaccountname/file.jpg.  If you
> click on a folder for an additional email account, you will, again, see
> the folders myfilelocker and mywebpages.  If you upload to the mywebpages
> folder in the additional account, that address would be
> mywebpages.comcast.net/additionalaccountname/file.jpg.

> If you did not install any Comcast software at all some of these folders
> may not exist & may need to be created.

How to use my own FTP software with Comcast?

Post by Ed Wurste » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 12:50:34

Can you be specific about the problem. What do you see in your status
window?

Ed

I have tried this procedure with Smart FTP but I cannot get it to work.  I
cannot login.  Any thoughts ?? I have re-entered my username and password
multiple time to be sure they were correct.

Kenny

How to use my own FTP software with Comcast?

Post by Kenny Ferrell » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 00:39:24

The status window indicates that that my username has been accepted but when
my password info is being processed, it says "login incorrect".  I have
tried putting re-entering my username and password info many times, making
sure the caps lock is not on; I can use the same uername and password to
login to the comcast.net home page.

Any ideas?

Kenny