FTP to Comcast from another ISP

Post by Samanth » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 21:21:37

Apologies if this has been addressed before.  I did a brief Google
search but couldn't find an answer.

Is it possible to upload to mywebpages.comcast.net when conncected to a
different ISP?  (Not Comcast.)  Was able to upload a site for a friend

Many thanks in advance,

Samantha

Post by Valentín Guillé » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 07:45:49

> Apologies if this has been addressed before.  I did a brief Google
> search but couldn't find an answer.

> Is it possible to upload to mywebpages.comcast.net when conncected to a
> different ISP?  (Not Comcast.)  Was able to upload a site for a friend

Barring any unknown other limitation, then yes, you or she should be
able to FTP into the comast web server from anywhere which has an
internet connection.

Once you're logged into webserver, this new comcast webserver's folder
structure is different from the old one.  This newer one has two folders
in the root directory of each subscriber.  One folder is called
myfilelocker, and it's purpose is to store private file.  The other
folder is called mywebpages, and you must remember to put the html *web
stuff* into that subfolder. Otherwise, it won't appear in any visitor's
webbrowser.

--
Valentn Guilln
Earth - a subsidiary of Microsoft?

Post by Samanth » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:06:44

> Barring any unknown other limitation, then yes, you or she should be
> able to FTP into the comast web server from anywhere which has an
> internet connection.

Thank you so much for the response!  Unfortunately, I can't log in.

This is what I get:

COMMAND:>    PASS ********
        451 Login failed, can't set startup dir to your home directory: No such
file or directory.
ERROR:>      Password not accepted
ERROR:>      Can't login. Still trying...

Now when I alter the password so that it is incorrect I get just a
"Can't login" and "Password Incorrect"  (I had to try it to see if the
password was wrong even though I've confirmed it several times.)

Any ideas why I getting this error?

Again, many thanks in advance to any and all,

Samantha

FTP to Comcast from another ISP

Post by gmcc » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 12:15:10

I have sent files ftp from a non-comcast address, and it does work.
That "can't set startup dir" sounds like your ftp client may be pre-set
to go to some specific directory on the remote site that doesn't exist.
You didn't say what ftp client, but in (for instance) ws-ftp it's in the
start-up tab of the connection setup.  I can't speak about other clients
because this is the only one I use. (other than an occasional command
line for grins)

Post by Samanth » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 20:02:15

> I have sent files ftp from a non-comcast address, and it does work.
> That "can't set startup dir" sounds like your ftp client may be pre-set
> to go to some specific directory on the remote site that doesn't exist.
> You didn't say what ftp client, but in (for instance) ws-ftp it's in the
> start-up tab of the connection setup.  I can't speak about other clients
> because this is the only one I use. (other than an occasional command
> line for grins)

Thank you so much for the response!  I've used Cute-FTP and WS-FTP.
There isn't anythng in the initial remote transfer folder in either
program.  I never have had to put anything in these boxes, so thank you
for the information, and I've done a lot of FTP-ing!  Is there a
specific folder or directory that should be in there to connect?

Thank you so much again,

Samantha