How to connect 2 cable/DSL routers to share 2 internet connections (DSL + Cable modem)?

How to connect 2 cable/DSL routers to share 2 internet connections (DSL + Cable modem)?

Post by Zoran Marjansk » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 13:21:29

I've had DSL high speed internet service with a Linksys BEFW11S4 (wireless
cable/dsl 4 port router) for a while and recently also got a Cable modem and
a USR8000 (3Com) cable/dsl 4 port router.

I have the DSL connection with a 192.168.1.0 LAN network and one laptop on
this. The cable modem is connected to the USR8000 with a 192.168.123.0
network and one desktop PC. The laptop goes out to the internet via DSL and
works fine. The desktop PC goes out to the internet via the cable modem just
fine.

I'd like the laptop to be able to see and access the desktop PC (and
vice-versa) on the other network and have certain IP traffic to certain
internet networks go thru the cable modem *always* (for my VPN and smtp
e-mail connection). I believe I just need to setup the proper routing. Can
anyone help how to do this? Is it possible? I've searched newsgroups and
google but haven't found the right stuff yet.

I connected port 3 of the BEFW11S4 to the uplink port of the USR8000 with a
straight thru cable and added a static route in the BEFW11S4. (the USR8000
doesn't allow other static routes to be added). From my laptop, I can ping
the USR8000 router and access the USR8000 web management interface, but I
cannot ping the Desktop PC at 192.168.123.149, nor can I figure out the
proper routing in the BEFW11S4 so that my VPN traffic from the laptop goes
over to the other router (USR8000) and out thru the cable modem.

Here's a picture, I hope it turns out well on your end.

xDSL -------------> WAN of BEFW11S4 (192.168.1.0 network)
                                            |           |
2 ----------------------> Laptop 192.168.1.100

CableModem -------> WAN of USR8000  (192.168.123.0 network)

                                           |port 3 ---------------------->
Desktop PC 192.168.123.149

Any help with getting this setup to work, would be appreciated.

Thanks, Zoran.
p.s. To e-mail me, remove NOSPAM

How to connect 2 cable/DSL routers to share 2 internet connections (DSL + Cable modem)?

Post by Hansang Ba » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 13:32:57

Quote:> I've had DSL high speed internet service with a Linksys BEFW11S4 (wireless
> cable/dsl 4 port router) for a while and recently also got a Cable modem and
> a USR8000 (3Com) cable/dsl 4 port router.

> I have the DSL connection with a 192.168.1.0 LAN network and one laptop on
> this. The cable modem is connected to the USR8000 with a 192.168.123.0
> network and one desktop PC. The laptop goes out to the internet via DSL and
> works fine. The desktop PC goes out to the internet via the cable modem just
> fine.

> I'd like the laptop to be able to see and access the desktop PC (and
> vice-versa) on the other network and have certain IP traffic to certain
> internet networks go thru the cable modem *always* (for my VPN and smtp
> e-mail connection). I believe I just need to setup the proper routing. Can
> anyone help how to do this? Is it possible? I've searched newsgroups and
> google but haven't found the right stuff yet.

> I connected port 3 of the BEFW11S4 to the uplink port of the USR8000 with a
> straight thru cable and added a static route in the BEFW11S4. (the USR8000
> doesn't allow other static routes to be added). From my laptop, I can ping
> the USR8000 router and access the USR8000 web management interface, but I
> cannot ping the Desktop PC at 192.168.123.149, nor can I figure out the
> proper routing in the BEFW11S4 so that my VPN traffic from the laptop goes
> over to the other router (USR8000) and out thru the cable modem.

> Here's a picture, I hope it turns out well on your end.

[snip:  munged ascii art]

Use fixed fonts so everyone can see it.

Here's what you can do.

Easiest:  Get the 3Com unit to use 192.168.1.x range like your Linksys.
Then on the PC that needs to use the cablemodem, setup a static route.  So
if your vpn/smtp/etc falls in 10.1.1.0 /24 for example, and your cablem
modem is 192.168.1.1

route -p add 10.1.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1

The other option is to run IP on the Linksys and the 3Com unit.  If you
can't do the above, come back and tell us if your 3Com unit can do Rip.

--

hsb

"Somehow I imagined this experience would be more rewarding"  Calvin
reply to emails sent to my account.  Please post a followup instead.

How to connect 2 cable/DSL routers to share 2 internet connections (DSL + Cable modem)?

Post by Logan Patrick Bale » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 22:00:47

So you wanna use both at the same time?
not cheep to do....go here

http://www.nexland.com/turbo.cfm

Quote:> I've had DSL high speed internet service with a Linksys BEFW11S4 (wireless
> cable/dsl 4 port router) for a while and recently also got a Cable modem
and
> a USR8000 (3Com) cable/dsl 4 port router.

> I have the DSL connection with a 192.168.1.0 LAN network and one laptop on
> this. The cable modem is connected to the USR8000 with a 192.168.123.0
> network and one desktop PC. The laptop goes out to the internet via DSL
and
> works fine. The desktop PC goes out to the internet via the cable modem
just
> fine.

> I'd like the laptop to be able to see and access the desktop PC (and
> vice-versa) on the other network and have certain IP traffic to certain
> internet networks go thru the cable modem *always* (for my VPN and smtp
> e-mail connection). I believe I just need to setup the proper routing. Can
> anyone help how to do this? Is it possible? I've searched newsgroups and
> google but haven't found the right stuff yet.

> I connected port 3 of the BEFW11S4 to the uplink port of the USR8000 with
> straight thru cable and added a static route in the BEFW11S4. (the USR8000
> doesn't allow other static routes to be added). From my laptop, I can ping
> the USR8000 router and access the USR8000 web management interface, but I
> cannot ping the Desktop PC at 192.168.123.149, nor can I figure out the
> proper routing in the BEFW11S4 so that my VPN traffic from the laptop goes
> over to the other router (USR8000) and out thru the cable modem.

> Here's a picture, I hope it turns out well on your end.

> xDSL -------------> WAN of BEFW11S4 (192.168.1.0 network)
>                                             |           |
>                                             |           | port
> 2 ----------------------> Laptop 192.168.1.100
>                                             | port 3
>                                             |uplink
> CableModem -------> WAN of USR8000  (192.168.123.0 network)
>                                            |port 3 ---------------------->
> Desktop PC 192.168.123.149

> Any help with getting this setup to work, would be appreciated.

> Thanks, Zoran.
> p.s. To e-mail me, remove NOSPAM

How to connect 2 cable/DSL routers to share 2 internet connections (DSL + Cable modem)?

Post by Zoran Marjansk » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 22:50:52

Hansang, thanks for the reply. I'm quite the novice at this routing stuff.

Can't this work with the two routers are on different networks? I added a
static route on the Linksys so my laptop can now access the 3Com router, but
not the PC hooked to it. I'd like to try and get this working with the
routers on their own networks, if possible.

The BEFW11S4 can do RIP, but the 3Com cannot (nor can static entries be
made). The 3Com (USR8000) should have the ability to add static routes or
use dynamic routing, it says so right on the box, but there's no screens for
it in the web based management console. I can probably exchange it for a
Linksys version that does, if needed.

How would I used RIP? Do I need it on both routers?

Here's the picture again, hopefully it will look better this time. The
BEFW11S4 router has an IP of 192.168.1.1 and the USR8000 has an IP of
192.168.123.254.

                              ___________________________________
xDSL -----------> |WAN of BEFW11S4 (192.168.1.0 network) |
                              |___________________________________|
                                            |           |
                                            |           | port2 ------->
Laptop 192.168.1.100

                      ___________|________________________
Cable -----> |WAN of USR8000  (192.168.123.0 network)|
Modem         |___________________________________|

                                           |port 3 ------------>Desktop PC
192.168.123.149

I want the Laptop and Desktop to see each other (telnet, ftp, folder
sharing, etc); the desktop to use the cable modem for internet traffic; the
laptop to use the DSL modem for internet traffic, but the laptop to use the
cable modem for vpn client and smtp (say the vpn and smtp servers are
10.1.1.1 and 15.1.1.1). Both the laptop and desktop are running Win2000.
There's gotta be a way to do this, I just don't know how. Do I need to
exchange the 3Com router for a Linksys that can do RIP?

Thanks again. This is a bit of a "I wanna figure this out" kind of pet
project for me.

Zoran.

> > I've had DSL high speed internet service with a Linksys BEFW11S4
(wireless
> > cable/dsl 4 port router) for a while and recently also got a Cable modem
and
> > a USR8000 (3Com) cable/dsl 4 port router.

> > I have the DSL connection with a 192.168.1.0 LAN network and one laptop
on
> > this. The cable modem is connected to the USR8000 with a 192.168.123.0
> > network and one desktop PC. The laptop goes out to the internet via DSL
and
> > works fine. The desktop PC goes out to the internet via the cable modem
just
> > fine.

> > I'd like the laptop to be able to see and access the desktop PC (and
> > vice-versa) on the other network and have certain IP traffic to certain
> > internet networks go thru the cable modem *always* (for my VPN and smtp
> > e-mail connection). I believe I just need to setup the proper routing.
Can
> > anyone help how to do this? Is it possible? I've searched newsgroups and
> > google but haven't found the right stuff yet.

> > I connected port 3 of the BEFW11S4 to the uplink port of the USR8000
with a
> > straight thru cable and added a static route in the BEFW11S4. (the
USR8000
> > doesn't allow other static routes to be added). From my laptop, I can
ping
> > the USR8000 router and access the USR8000 web management interface, but
> > cannot ping the Desktop PC at 192.168.123.149, nor can I figure out the
> > proper routing in the BEFW11S4 so that my VPN traffic from the laptop
goes
> > over to the other router (USR8000) and out thru the cable modem.

> > Here's a picture, I hope it turns out well on your end.
> [snip:  munged ascii art]

> Use fixed fonts so everyone can see it.

> Here's what you can do.

> Easiest:  Get the 3Com unit to use 192.168.1.x range like your Linksys.
> Then on the PC that needs to use the cablemodem, setup a static route.  So
> if your vpn/smtp/etc falls in 10.1.1.0 /24 for example, and your cablem
> modem is 192.168.1.1

> route -p add 10.1.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1

> The other option is to run IP on the Linksys and the 3Com unit.  If you
> can't do the above, come back and tell us if your 3Com unit can do Rip.

> --

> hsb

> "Somehow I imagined this experience would be more rewarding"  Calvin
> Due to the volume of email that I receive, I may not not be able to
> reply to emails sent to my account.  Please post a followup instead.

How to connect 2 cable/DSL routers to share 2 internet connections (DSL + Cable modem)?

Post by Steve Weingar » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 23:00:39

Zoran,

I do a similar thing.  It actually really easy..

I have one DSL connection, with 2 fixed IP addresses for two different
domains, but I want all of the machines to be able to see each other, and I
want to be able to go out one and back in the other to test VPN setups, etc.
I'm an IP contractor/networking installer, so I do a lot of testing here to
make sure that a customer bid will work before I bid it...

All I did was to put both routers on the same LAN subnet (192.168.1.X), and
set each router to a different LAN address (one is 192.168.1.1, the other
192.168.1.220).  Coming out of the routers I go to a hub (each router goes
to one port on the hub), and all the machines plug into the hub (if you only
need 3 more wired machines, you can just use the 4 port in the BEFW1S4, and
come out of your other router into one of the ports), and are on the
192.168.1.X subnet.  So now I have one internal Network Neighborhood, all
machines can see each other, share printers, disks, etc.  I choose which
machine is on which domain by setting the gateway address to one router or
the other.  It all works like a charm.  You don't need to set any static
routes, or doing anything special.

One thing, you can't use DHCP for everything.  You can put one group of
machines on DHCP to one router and go fixed for the other group, or go fixed
for all.

Hope that this helps,

--
Steve   (remove anti spam XYX in return address for correct email)
http://www.gulf-stream.net

How to connect 2 cable/DSL routers to share 2 internet connections (DSL + Cable modem)?

Post by Zoran Marjansk » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 00:12:33

Ok, I got this to work with both routers on the same 192.168.1.0 network and
you're both right (Steve & Hansang) it's quite easy. Thanks guys.

The Linksys is 192.168.1.1, the 3Com is 192.168.1.254 and both have DHCP
but give out different ranges within the 192.168.1.0 network. I setup routes
on my laptop to route VPN and smtp traffic thru the 3Com router and it works
just fine.

Just for curiosity and being able to say "I done it", how could I accomplish
this with the two routers on different networks?

Zoran.

Quote:> Zoran,

> I do a similar thing.  It actually really easy..

> I have one DSL connection, with 2 fixed IP addresses for two different
> domains, but I want all of the machines to be able to see each other, and
> want to be able to go out one and back in the other to test VPN setups,
etc.
> I'm an IP contractor/networking installer, so I do a lot of testing here
> make sure that a customer bid will work before I bid it...

> All I did was to put both routers on the same LAN subnet (192.168.1.X),
and
> set each router to a different LAN address (one is 192.168.1.1, the other
> 192.168.1.220).  Coming out of the routers I go to a hub (each router goes
> to one port on the hub), and all the machines plug into the hub (if you
only
> need 3 more wired machines, you can just use the 4 port in the BEFW1S4,
and
> come out of your other router into one of the ports), and are on the
> 192.168.1.X subnet.  So now I have one internal Network Neighborhood, all
> machines can see each other, share printers, disks, etc.  I choose which
> machine is on which domain by setting the gateway address to one router or
> the other.  It all works like a charm.  You don't need to set any static
> routes, or doing anything special.

> One thing, you can't use DHCP for everything.  You can put one group of
> machines on DHCP to one router and go fixed for the other group, or go
fixed
> for all.

> Hope that this helps,

> --
> Steve   (remove anti spam XYX in return address for correct email)
> http://www.gulf-stream.net

How to connect 2 cable/DSL routers to share 2 internet connections (DSL + Cable modem)?

Post by Steve Weingar » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 02:48:23

Quote:> Ok, I got this to work with both routers on the same 192.168.1.0
> network and you're both right (Steve & Hansang) it's quite easy. Thanks
> guys.

Glad that it all worked out.

Quote:

> The Linksys is 192.168.1.1, the 3Com is 192.168.1.254 and both have
> DHCP but give out different ranges within the 192.168.1.0 network. I
> setup routes on my laptop to route VPN and smtp traffic thru the 3Com
> router and it works just fine.

Cool.

Quote:

> Just for curiosity and being able to say "I done it", how could I
> accomplish this with the two routers on different networks?

I'm not positive, I'd have to test...   In general (and if there is someone
who knows more, please enlighten us :-) if you exceed a class C subnet, you
need to route.  So you'd need to set up static routes to point the nets at
each other...

--
Steve   (remove anti spam XYX in return address for correct email)
http://www.gulf-stream.net

How to connect 2 cable/DSL routers to share 2 internet connections (DSL + Cable modem)?

Post by Hansang Ba » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:27:10

Quote:> Ok, I got this to work with both routers on the same 192.168.1.0 network and
> you're both right (Steve & Hansang) it's quite easy. Thanks guys.

> The Linksys is 192.168.1.1, the 3Com is 192.168.1.254 and both have DHCP
> but give out different ranges within the 192.168.1.0 network. I setup routes
> on my laptop to route VPN and smtp traffic thru the 3Com router and it works
> just fine.

> Just for curiosity and being able to say "I done it", how could I accomplish
> this with the two routers on different networks?

You run a routing protocol like RIP or use static routes so that the routers
will know who to deliver the packets to.