Two modems, two computers? Possible?

Post by The Beas » Sun, 16 Aug 1998 04:00:00

in the ba*t and one in the attic so networking is not an option.  From
speaking with the installer at Shaw he told me the modems were similar to
the descramblers for cable and would work on any cable outlet (assuming
strong signal) in the local node. The modems would never go on sale since if
bought one you would get free cable internet service if in the node.
Anyways, if this true I buy a second modem can i use both machines at the
same time?

Two modems, two computers? Possible?

Why buy another modem?  Two computer can use one.

Post by Mark Tromble » Mon, 17 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>in the ba*t and one in the attic so networking is not an option.  From
>speaking with the installer at Shaw he told me the modems were similar to
>the descramblers for cable and would work on any cable outlet (assuming
>strong signal) in the local node. The modems would never go on sale since
if
>bought one you would get free cable internet service if in the node.
>Anyways, if this true I buy a second modem can i use both machines at the
>same time?

I run two computers in my second floor office and one in the ba*t all
one one network.  Second NIC is for cable modem that all of my computers
talk through.  Go buy a network kit for under $80 and your in business.  Win
95/98 two network cards and 50' of thincoax and your in business.  I suggest
the Linksys "Network in a Box".

Mark

Two modems, two computers? Possible?

Post by The Beas » Mon, 17 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I appreciate the help being given but networking is NOT an option.

Two modems, two computers? Possible?

Post by Dan Dra » Mon, 17 Aug 1998 04:00:00

On Sun, 16 Aug 1998 02:28:07 -0400, "The Beast"

>I appreciate the help being given but networking is NOT an option.

Please explain why not.  Just curious, it *really* would be your
simplest/cheapest option.

Post by novit » Tue, 18 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> in the ba*t and one in the attic so networking is not an option.

Eithernet cable can go up to 50 feet without a repeater....

Quote:>  From
> speaking with the installer at Shaw he told me the modems were similar to
> the descramblers for cable and would work on any cable outlet (assuming
> strong signal) in the local node. The modems would never go on sale since if
> bought one you would get free cable internet service if in the node.

the service, it's pretty hard since this is two-way
communications you need an fake-ip address, unique mac address etc.
Simply, server does a cable modem as opposed to a discrambler
box which is basically a consumer.

Quote:> Anyways, if this true I buy a second modem can i use both machines at the
> same time?

Yes, but networking is a cheaper and better solution....--To reply get rid of
span word in address.

Post by Toni Hinto » Wed, 19 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>On Sun, 16 Aug 1998 02:28:07 -0400, "The Beast"

>>I appreciate the help being given but networking is NOT an option.

>Please explain why not.  Just curious, it *really* would be your
>simplest/cheapest option.

Perhaps like me "The Beast" is renting and doesn't want to -- or can't --
run a cable from his ba*t to his other machine. You're right that it's
the simplest and cheapest option, but it appears it's not a viable one here.

Still -- talking completely out of my hat now -- I can't help but think for
the $500 or so that buying a cable modem and additional install would cost
that he could get a pro to come in and do a nice, clean run between the two
machines. My landlord didn't want me to put a phone jack in the kitchen (for
some weird reason, the jack is in the farthest corner of the living room)
because it would basically just be stapled along the baseboard, but he let
me punch a hole in the side of the house for the coax to the cable modem
since a pro was doing it.

-- Toni Hinton
epukaneAThomeDOTcom

Post by Christian Altenbac » Wed, 19 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>>On Sun, 16 Aug 1998 02:28:07 -0400, "The Beast"

>>>I appreciate the help being given but networking is NOT an option.

>>Please explain why not.  Just curious, it *really* would be your
>>simplest/cheapest option.

>Perhaps like me "The Beast" is renting and doesn't want to -- or can't --
>run a cable from his ba*t to his other machine. You're right that it's
>the simplest and cheapest option, but it appears it's not a viable one
here.

if you can't run cable, there is now another option, have a look at

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Basically a wireless internal LAN with internet sharing software included.

from their blurb, it's not clear if they support cable modems, but it might
be worth looking into it.