Comcast Giganew Signup Problem

Post by Howard Slome » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 09:01:41

    I went through the conversion from ATTBI to Comcast on June 30th.
Everything went smoothly except that I have been unable to sign up for
Giganews.  I get the following error when I try to sing up for Newsgroups
Account Activation on Members Services at www.comcast.net.

Forbidden
The Comcast 1GB special is only available to Comcast customers on Comcast's
network. Your IP address ((none)) is not part of Comcast's network address
space. This may be because you are trying to signup for the 1GB from work or
an outside location. Please try again while using Comcast's High-Speed Cable
Internet service.

        Disabling my firewall and "The Proxomitron" did not help.   Does
anyone know what might be causing this problem?

                                                            Thanks in
advance,
                                                            Howard

Post by Warre » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 09:48:33

>     I went through the conversion from ATTBI to Comcast on June 30th.
> Everything went smoothly except that I have been unable to sign up for
> Giganews.  I get the following error when I try to sing up for
Newsgroups
> Account Activation on Members Services at www.comcast.net.

> Forbidden
> The Comcast 1GB special is only available to Comcast customers on
Comcast's
> network. Your IP address ((none)) is not part of Comcast's network
address
> space. This may be because you are trying to signup for the 1GB from
work or
> an outside location. Please try again while using Comcast's High-Speed
Cable
> Internet service.

>         Disabling my firewall and "The Proxomitron" did not help.
Does
> anyone know what might be causing this problem?

The Giganews servers are for the "Classic" Comcast markets -- those that
were Comcast prior to the merger. The "New" Comcast markets (those that
were ATTBI before the merger) use netnews.comcast.net, which requires no
sign-up, and does not have limitations.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.

Webhosting: 500MB Space, 30G Transfer, 7.95/mo.
http://www.holzemville.com/refer/

Post by Bill Smit » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 11:50:55

> >     I went through the conversion from ATTBI to Comcast on June 30th.
> > Everything went smoothly except that I have been unable to sign up for
> > Giganews.  I get the following error when I try to sing up for
> Newsgroups
> > Account Activation on Members Services at www.comcast.net.

> > Forbidden
> > The Comcast 1GB special is only available to Comcast customers on
> Comcast's
> > network. Your IP address ((none)) is not part of Comcast's network
> address
> > space. This may be because you are trying to signup for the 1GB from
> work or
> > an outside location. Please try again while using Comcast's High-Speed
> Cable
> > Internet service.

> >         Disabling my firewall and "The Proxomitron" did not help.
> Does
> > anyone know what might be causing this problem?

> The Giganews servers are for the "Classic" Comcast markets -- those that
> were Comcast prior to the merger. The "New" Comcast markets (those that
> were ATTBI before the merger) use netnews.comcast.net, which requires no
> sign-up, and does not have limitations.

> --
> Warren H.

Got a cite for that? Your comments are not supported by any information I
was able to find on Comcasts support site as of yesterday nor is it
supported by "chat" dialog I have from their support folks whom I'd asked.
Additionally, I have successfully registered for Comcast/Giganews and have
OE configured to use both services. I'm an ATTBI transition subscriber, not
a Comcast legacy subscriber. I also have an IP address falling in the former
ATTBI namespace. I manually configured my accounts on 30 June just after
transition so there is the posibility the Comcast folks were confused by the
rush of calls that day. It is, in fact, working for me. I'm in Washington,
ATTBI's region 1.

Post by Richard Ingra » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 13:25:00

> > >     I went through the conversion from ATTBI to Comcast on June 30th.
> > > Everything went smoothly except that I have been unable to sign up for
> > > Giganews.  I get the following error when I try to sing up for
> > Newsgroups
> > > Account Activation on Members Services at www.comcast.net.

> > > Forbidden
> > > The Comcast 1GB special is only available to Comcast customers on
> > Comcast's
> > > network. Your IP address ((none)) is not part of Comcast's network
> > address
> > > space. This may be because you are trying to signup for the 1GB from
> > work or
> > > an outside location. Please try again while using Comcast's High-Speed
> > Cable
> > > Internet service.

> > >         Disabling my firewall and "The Proxomitron" did not help.
> > Does
> > > anyone know what might be causing this problem?

> > The Giganews servers are for the "Classic" Comcast markets -- those that
> > were Comcast prior to the merger. The "New" Comcast markets (those that
> > were ATTBI before the merger) use netnews.comcast.net, which requires no
> > sign-up, and does not have limitations.

> > --
> > Warren H.

> Got a cite for that? Your comments are not supported by any information I
> was able to find on Comcasts support site as of yesterday nor is it
> supported by "chat" dialog I have from their support folks whom I'd asked.
> Additionally, I have successfully registered for Comcast/Giganews and have
> OE configured to use both services. I'm an ATTBI transition subscriber, not
> a Comcast legacy subscriber. I also have an IP address falling in the former
> ATTBI namespace. I manually configured my accounts on 30 June just after
> transition so there is the posibility the Comcast folks were confused by the
> rush of calls that day. It is, in fact, working for me. I'm in Washington,
> ATTBI's region 1.

The old netnews.comcast.net is a heck of a LOT faster than Giganews is. I will
give gnews a bit of time to settle down after the influx of new users. A
tracert I did gave up!!

Richard.

Post by Bill Smit » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 13:53:22

> > > Newsgroups

> > > Comcast's
> > > address
> > > work or
High-Speed
> > > Cable

> > > Does

> > > The Giganews servers are for the "Classic" Comcast markets -- those
that
> > > were Comcast prior to the merger. The "New" Comcast markets (those
that
> > > were ATTBI before the merger) use netnews.comcast.net, which requires
no
> > > sign-up, and does not have limitations.

> > > --
> > > Warren H.

> > Got a cite for that? Your comments are not supported by any information
> > was able to find on Comcasts support site as of yesterday nor is it
> > supported by "chat" dialog I have from their support folks whom I'd
asked.
> > Additionally, I have successfully registered for Comcast/Giganews and
have
> > OE configured to use both services. I'm an ATTBI transition subscriber,
not
> > a Comcast legacy subscriber. I also have an IP address falling in the
former
> > ATTBI namespace. I manually configured my accounts on 30 June just after
> > transition so there is the posibility the Comcast folks were confused by
the
> > rush of calls that day. It is, in fact, working for me. I'm in
Washington,
> > ATTBI's region 1.

> The old netnews.comcast.net is a heck of a LOT faster than Giganews is. I
will
> give gnews a bit of time to settle down after the influx of new users. A
> tracert I did gave up!!

> Richard.

And you're an ATTBI transition subscriber like me. Did you attempt to
register for GigaNews?

Post by Howard Slome » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 20:10:09

> 30th.
> for

> High-Speed

> that
> that
> no

> > > Got a cite for that? Your comments are not supported by any
information
> > > was able to find on Comcasts support site as of yesterday nor is it
> > > supported by "chat" dialog I have from their support folks whom I'd
> asked.
> > > Additionally, I have successfully registered for Comcast/Giganews and
> have
> > > OE configured to use both services. I'm an ATTBI transition
subscriber,
> not
> > > a Comcast legacy subscriber. I also have an IP address falling in the
> former
> > > ATTBI namespace. I manually configured my accounts on 30 June just
after
> > > transition so there is the posibility the Comcast folks were confused
by
> the
> > > rush of calls that day. It is, in fact, working for me. I'm in
> Washington,
> > > ATTBI's region 1.

> > The old netnews.comcast.net is a heck of a LOT faster than Giganews is.
> will
> > give gnews a bit of time to settle down after the influx of new users. A
> > tracert I did gave up!!

> > Richard.

> And you're an ATTBI transition subscriber like me. Did you attempt to
> register for GigaNews?

        Thanks for the replies.

        I talked to the Comcast support folks prior to the transition and
they gave me the new mail server addresses and also told me that everyone
would have use Giganews after the transition.   One the 30th I manually
reconfigured and everything worked fine except news (see my original
posting).  After talking to others and visiting www.comcast.net I discovered
that Comcast had renamed the old ATTBI news servers to netnews.comcast.net.

        I would still like to sign up for the Giganews account but am unable
to do so and continue to get the error message I originally posted.  Is
anyone else having the same problem?  The error message (which is incorrect)
seems to imply that the sign up software is unable to determine my IP
address "Your IP address ((none)) is not part of Comcast's network".   I
haven't been able to determine if the problem is with my system or at their
end.

        I emailed Comcast support and after several days received a canned
reply that did not address the problem.

                                                            Howard

Comcast Giganew Signup Problem

Post by Exra » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 22:02:15

ATTBI transition to Comcast here in my little corner of the Northeast on
6/30.  Web page that they put up clearly showed the netnews.comcast.net
usenet address as the one to replace netnews.attbi.com.  Also, all the attbi
newsgroups disappeared a day later and were replaced with a message of some
sort to do the transition.

My experience with tech support chat with attbi in the past, by the way, was
that I couldn't tell if I was talking with a person or a bot.  They did not
have answers, and weren't able to accomplish anything either.  Phone calls,
escalate to supervisors if required, are much the way to go if real help is
needed.

> > >     I went through the conversion from ATTBI to Comcast on June 30th.
> > > Everything went smoothly except that I have been unable to sign up for
> > > Giganews.  I get the following error when I try to sing up for
> > Newsgroups
> > > Account Activation on Members Services at www.comcast.net.

> > > Forbidden
> > > The Comcast 1GB special is only available to Comcast customers on
> > Comcast's
> > > network. Your IP address ((none)) is not part of Comcast's network
> > address
> > > space. This may be because you are trying to signup for the 1GB from
> > work or
> > > an outside location. Please try again while using Comcast's High-Speed
> > Cable
> > > Internet service.

> > >         Disabling my firewall and "The Proxomitron" did not help.
> > Does
> > > anyone know what might be causing this problem?

> > The Giganews servers are for the "Classic" Comcast markets -- those that
> > were Comcast prior to the merger. The "New" Comcast markets (those that
> > were ATTBI before the merger) use netnews.comcast.net, which requires no
> > sign-up, and does not have limitations.

> > --
> > Warren H.

> Got a cite for that? Your comments are not supported by any information I
> was able to find on Comcasts support site as of yesterday nor is it
> supported by "chat" dialog I have from their support folks whom I'd asked.
> Additionally, I have successfully registered for Comcast/Giganews and have
> OE configured to use both services. I'm an ATTBI transition subscriber,
not
> a Comcast legacy subscriber. I also have an IP address falling in the
former
> ATTBI namespace. I manually configured my accounts on 30 June just after
> transition so there is the posibility the Comcast folks were confused by
the
> rush of calls that day. It is, in fact, working for me. I'm in Washington,
> ATTBI's region 1.

Comcast Giganew Signup Problem

Post by markje » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 00:59:14

I had no difficulty logging on to netnews, but had trouble also with
giganews.  I signed up, got a (cryptic) ID and password back in email, and
went through the new account configuration process in OE.  It didn't work.
So I tried signing on with the web logon screen at giganews.com and this
didn't work either.

At this point, I thought that perhaps there was a latency period for the
account.  But a day later, still didn't work, either through their web page
or through OE.

My ID/password was so cryptic that I began wondering if I was typing it
correctly.  Several further VERY CAREFUL attempts and no joy.

Finally, I tried cutting and pasting the ID/password into the giganews.com
signon screen and it worked.  Doing the same in OE got it working also.  I
have no idea why it makes a difference if I type the ID/PW vs. cutting and
pasting it, and I'm reasonably sure that I was typing correctly, but who
knows?  Maybe it was just a coincidence that it started worked as I was
fooling around with cutting/pasting.

In any event, I'd first try logging on to the web page to elminate OE as a
problem, and try the cut/paste trick.  Good luck,

- Mark

Post by Bit Twiste » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 01:17:30

> I had no difficulty logging on to netnews, but had trouble also with
> giganews.  I signed up, got a (cryptic) ID and password back in email, and
> went through the new account configuration process in OE.  It didn't work.
> So I tried signing on with the web logon screen at giganews.com and this
> didn't work either.

> At this point, I thought that perhaps there was a latency period for the
> account.  But a day later, still didn't work, either through their web page
> or through OE.

> My ID/password was so cryptic that I began wondering if I was typing it
> correctly.  Several further VERY CAREFUL attempts and no joy.

> Finally, I tried cutting and pasting the ID/password into the giganews.com
> signon screen and it worked.  Doing the same in OE got it working also.  I
> have no idea why it makes a difference if I type the ID/PW vs. cutting and
> pasting it, and I'm reasonably sure that I was typing correctly, but who
> knows?  Maybe it was just a coincidence that it started worked as I was
> fooling around with cutting/pasting.

Just curious the giganewews input is case sensitive, were you using
the correct case for id/passwd during input?

Post by Richard Ingra » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 02:08:01

> 30th.
> for

> High-Speed

> that
> that
> no

> > > Got a cite for that? Your comments are not supported by any information
> > > was able to find on Comcasts support site as of yesterday nor is it
> > > supported by "chat" dialog I have from their support folks whom I'd
> asked.
> > > Additionally, I have successfully registered for Comcast/Giganews and
> have
> > > OE configured to use both services. I'm an ATTBI transition subscriber,
> not
> > > a Comcast legacy subscriber. I also have an IP address falling in the
> former
> > > ATTBI namespace. I manually configured my accounts on 30 June just after
> > > transition so there is the posibility the Comcast folks were confused by
> the
> > > rush of calls that day. It is, in fact, working for me. I'm in
> Washington,
> > > ATTBI's region 1.

> > The old netnews.comcast.net is a heck of a LOT faster than Giganews is. I
> will
> > give gnews a bit of time to settle down after the influx of new users. A
> > tracert I did gave up!!

> > Richard.

> And you're an ATTBI transition subscriber like me. Did you attempt to
> register for GigaNews?

Yep no problem, that is what I am using to post now, but it is slower than the
old servers, for downloading anyway, when I refresh or start gnus it takes ages
to grab my headers initially.

Richard.

****

Post by Bill Smit » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 08:19:07

> > asked.
> > have
> > not
> > former
> > the
> > Washington,

> > > The old netnews.comcast.net is a heck of a LOT faster than Giganews
is. I
> > will
> > > give gnews a bit of time to settle down after the influx of new users.
> > > tracert I did gave up!!

> > > Richard.

> > And you're an ATTBI transition subscriber like me. Did you attempt to
> > register for GigaNews?

> Yep no problem, that is what I am using to post now, but it is slower than
the
> old servers, for downloading anyway, when I refresh or start gnus it takes
ages
> to grab my headers initially.

> Richard.

Same here. Worked perfect first time out of the box. I finally got thru to
Comcast Customer Support via chat about a half hour ago. I asked and the
tech stated the old ATTBI servers renamed to netnews.comcast.net are to be
eliminated (no date yet). He also insisted the recommend service for ATTBI
transition customers is a GigaNews account despite instructions to the
contrary in several of the online FAQ's. I had intended to capture the
session and post it but as soon as I ended the session the window closed.
Maybe next time.

Post by Roxbo » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 03:19:57

> Same here. Worked perfect first time out of the box. I finally got thru to
> Comcast Customer Support via chat about a half hour ago. I asked and the
> tech stated the old ATTBI servers renamed to netnews.comcast.net are to be
> eliminated (no date yet). He also insisted the recommend service for ATTBI
> transition customers is a GigaNews account despite instructions to the
> contrary in several of the online FAQ's. I had intended to capture the
> session and post it but as soon as I ended the session the window closed.
> Maybe next time.

Too bad you didn't get that session.

Next time a csr starts rapturing on the future of the Comcast news service would you ask him/her where they
got their information.  Specifically did they get it from the internal Comcast knowledgebase?   That's the official
source of info for Comcast csr's.  If it's not posted on the internal kb or at one of the customer facing help sites it's rumor.

True there must be someone at some level of the company who has inside information, but the odds of a csr - at the bottom
of the corporate information barrel - having a pipeline to source is ~0%.  Although it may please an individual csr to think
otherwise.

IOW, I think the csr you chatted with was speaking out of the wrong end of their anatomy.  And likely did a disservice to both
you and their employer.

Roxboy

Comcast Giganew Signup Problem

Post by Bill Smit » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 04:03:46

Quote:

> > Same here. Worked perfect first time out of the box. I finally got thru
> > Comcast Customer Support via chat about a half hour ago. I asked and the
> > tech stated the old ATTBI servers renamed to netnews.comcast.net are to
be
> > eliminated (no date yet). He also insisted the recommend service for
ATTBI
> > transition customers is a GigaNews account despite instructions to the
> > contrary in several of the online FAQ's. I had intended to capture the
> > session and post it but as soon as I ended the session the window
closed.
> > Maybe next time.

> Too bad you didn't get that session.

> Next time a csr starts rapturing on the future of the Comcast news service

would you ask him/her where they
Quote:> got their information.  Specifically did they get it from the internal

Comcast knowledgebase?   That's the official
Quote:> source of info for Comcast csr's.  If it's not posted on the internal kb

or at one of the customer facing help sites it's rumor.
Quote:

> True there must be someone at some level of the company who has inside

information, but the odds of a csr - at the bottom
Quote:> of the corporate information barrel - having a pipeline to source is ~0%.

Although it may please an individual csr to think
Quote:> otherwise.

> IOW, I think the csr you chatted with was speaking out of the wrong end of

their anatomy.  And likely did a disservice to both

Quote:> you and their employer.

> Roxboy

Well, it's certainly possible the "Tech" (Comcast calls them Analyst's,
Right) was acting on his own. The info he gave me is not in any document or
FAQ available on their web site available to subscribers. This is the 2nd
time one of their tech has stated this. The first time was via e-mail
several weeks before cutover. I was told, then, about the GigaNews service
but, not the server alias. Only told to watch the
http://www.veryComputer.com/
I did that. They had instructions posted on 30 June. 2/3 days later I
noticed they were gone.

If I get some time this weekend and I'm boored, I get another session going
and capture it. You can do the same thing.

FWIW, several months before cutover I asked Comcast via e-mail if the were
going to continue using Brightmail service ATTBI had used. I was told no,
Comcast was not going to filter mail. When I look in member services for
mail accounts I still see the option to filter mail. Well... so much for
tech support. Doesn't much matter, though. Brightmail was pretty much
useless in the last month. At least 20 */* enhancing, viagra, ink
cartridge and suzi hotass adverts every day. Happened almost over night.
Went from a couple a week to 20/day even in my spam trap. I actually think
ATTBI sold their address base before they cut us loose.

Comcast Giganew Signup Problem

Post by Bill Smit » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 04:29:16

Quote:

> > Same here. Worked perfect first time out of the box. I finally got thru
> > Comcast Customer Support via chat about a half hour ago. I asked and the
> > tech stated the old ATTBI servers renamed to netnews.comcast.net are to
be
> > eliminated (no date yet). He also insisted the recommend service for
ATTBI
> > transition customers is a GigaNews account despite instructions to the
> > contrary in several of the online FAQ's. I had intended to capture the
> > session and post it but as soon as I ended the session the window
closed.
> > Maybe next time.

> Too bad you didn't get that session.

> Next time a csr starts rapturing on the future of the Comcast news service

would you ask him/her where they
Quote:> got their information.  Specifically did they get it from the internal

Comcast knowledgebase?   That's the official
Quote:> source of info for Comcast csr's.  If it's not posted on the internal kb

or at one of the customer facing help sites it's rumor.
Quote:

> True there must be someone at some level of the company who has inside

information, but the odds of a csr - at the bottom
Quote:> of the corporate information barrel - having a pipeline to source is ~0%.

Although it may please an individual csr to think
Quote:> otherwise.

> IOW, I think the csr you chatted with was speaking out of the wrong end of

their anatomy.  And likely did a disservice to both

Quote:> you and their employer.

Just going thru my notes on cutover and I found I'd saved a printed copy of
Scot Finnie's June 17 newsletter
<http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/47.htm#comcastconv> wherein he describes his
conversation with the Comcast folks regarding various issues on cutover. He
says exactly the same thing; "Comcast itself does not provide newsgroup
access". You can read it yourself at the above link. Scroll down to the
section titled AT&T Broadband to Comcast conversion. It is not only I that
has been told this same story and it has been on multiple occasions and
sources. Time will tell.

1. Comcast Web Based "Support" Problem --- Do Not Install Any Software from Comcast!!!!!!

I made the mistake of allowing Comcast to install their web based support
software on my PC and it created major problems. During a boot of Windows
98SE the items loaded into the system tray would stop loading and then the
system tray would be emptied. CONTROL/ALT/DELETE would show "Tgcmd (Not
responding)".    Tgcmd.* are the Comcast support files installed into the
Program Files/support.com folder. Removing Comcast Support using Windows
ADD/REMOVE seemed to work but left 58 errors in the Registry that
fortunately Norton WinDoctor was able to fix. I wasted an hour solving this
one.

The bottom line: Do Not Install Any Software from Comcast!!!!!!
:<(( Art

--
To reply to me directly, delete the "nospam_" from the email address.

2. Replication in AD not working properly. Group policy affected

3. new signup problems

4. Autoroute/Streets & Trips

5. Unable to post on Giganew!

6. we need an html style standard for palmtops/handhelds

7. strange Linksys problem during comcast problems

8. Win95 Programmer Consultant Needed for Small Project

9. Comcast High-Speed Internet Enhances Comcast.net to Become

10. unable to resolve *.comcast.net addresses using comcast dns servers

11. comcast.net and non-comcast e-mail addresses

12. Comcast South Jersey -Anyone getting E-mail @ comcast.net

13. Comcast Silver versus Comcast Gold