For fun, I installed comcast software...

Post by Paul » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 09:26:37

> Thanks to the wonders of VMware (www.vmware.com), I have maintained a

> day I got my cable modem, and always followed instructions and did
> whatever they wanted me to just as a baseline test of what I am
> supposed to be running. (I'd never let that *real my REAL machine...)

> So, the vm has been kinda unused for several months, so today when I
> got my transition kit that said I had to download their software to
> get my e-mail account moved over, I fired up that vm machine and followed
> along, exactly as requested.

> First I went to download.comcast.net and entered my acct #, acct name,
> and new password. I then downloaded and installed the software and let

> switched my static IP on my internal net to DHCP but fortunately I run
> my own DHCP server for the house so connectivity remained.

> After two reboots, I went to the comcast support site and it wanted me to
> download some other program for online support. So, naturally, I did it.
> I went in and of course asked what is happening to my newsgroups! :)

> Now, after doing all as I was told, nothing fancy, my vm machine seems
> to be quite unstable. On shutdown I either have to force-exit
> "cscript" (probably running a vbscript program) and/or
> SdcShedulerWindow. Sometimes it now just hangs and I have to virtually
> power off the virtual machine.

> So, whatever "problems" they had originally with this software, I can
> tell you they are telling people to install it in that transition kit
> and, at least in my case, it caused my test machine a LOT of problems.

> Sample screenshot on shutdown. Not the OK and Cancel button were not
> functional when this was taken...

> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> (It's a big image, dimension wise, ie6 will scale it probably and make
> it look yucky unless you unscale it...)

> A few points should be stressed here. This "machine" is a pretty clean

> installed 3rd party tools or even something as dangerous as Microsoft
> Office, I haven't ran strange code, etc, etc... I just followed what
> instructions I got with no modifications and haven't *ed it up
> other than how they instructed me too.  So if THIS "box" is unstable,
> I feel this indicates bad software on their end.  Windows is an
> unstable platform to begin with, and the interaction of a lot of code
> being installed, lost clusters due to crashes, etc, etc, means over
> time, Windows installs tend to degrade. So they could argue their
> software is fine and it's a peculiarity with the clients' computers.
> Well, this one is pretty young as far as that goes...

> --

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Likewise, I loaded the Comcast software on a test computer just
to track the file and registry changes it made. One thing that caught
my attention was a file called REPORT.XML in the temp folder
(C:\windows\temp on this Win98SE computer).

REPORT.XML contains (1) a hardware inventory of my computer,
(2) operating system name, (3) all info they prompted me to enter
(account number, name, email box ID and password as openly
readable text) and (4) TCP/IP configuration including IP addresses
the workstation sees, which in my case reveals to them that I run a
NAT router. Now true, they did warn me to disable any firewall before
running, but I wouldn't take my house's front door off the hinges
before leaving if someone told me to do so either. Homey don't play
that game.

Other parts of this REPORT.XML file lead me to believe
(can't prove) that the install process uploaded the file to a
"BroadJump Client Foundation" website/server.

Has anyone else done this install test while running a
packet sniffer to see if indeed the file is transmitted somewhere?

The install process neglects to delete the file when done, so any nosey
person snooping through the workstation's temp folder can get your
email password.

The install process does setup via registry key
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
to run this program at startup:
C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
Is it "spyware" or just a harmless service?

It loads some software under C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation,
puts in the Comcast branding, adds some entries to the browser's "Favorites"
menu, adds a klunky IPrenew.bat file for the 0.000001% of users who can't
figure out how to renew their IP manually, and replaces a few Microsoft
redistributable DLL's in C:\windows\system. I checked the version numbers
(not the date/time stamps, but rather the VS_VERSION_INFO numbers) and
the replaced DLL's were indeed newer versions. It also puts a DevMngr.vxd in
C:\windows\system; the file contains no vendor information but that's not
uncommon with VXD's.

customizations, but the test machine was "plain vanilla" when I
started, so there's nothing it could have removed.

My opinion (and it echos what others are saying so I doubt there'll be
much dissension): Do *NOT* install the Comcast software. You don't
need it.

For fun, I installed comcast software...

Post by KW » Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:36:32

Well, all I know is that I ran that damn Comcast setup program so my
"new" email account would get activated. It still has yet to activate.
And now, half my internet tools have stopped working. EQ is taking a
dive everytime it tries to run. When I do actually connect to the
internet the speeds are much slower than before, including a rather
long initial connection delay.  I won't even begin to vent about the
fact I went from the Pro service which allowed me to keep a fixed IP
to having no option of a fixed IP and being told to like it or leave
by Comcast. So be it. Me no likey, me ko keepy!.

If this was my production machine I would have gone completely crazy.

Post by Larr » Fri, 15 Feb 2002 22:39:09

> Well, all I know is that I ran that damn Comcast setup program so my
> "new" email account would get activated. It still has yet to activate.
> And now, half my internet tools have stopped working. EQ is taking a
> dive everytime it tries to run. When I do actually connect to the
> internet the speeds are much slower than before, including a rather
> long initial connection delay.  I won't even begin to vent about the
> fact I went from the Pro service which allowed me to keep a fixed IP
> to having no option of a fixed IP and being told to like it or leave
> by Comcast. So be it. Me no likey, me ko keepy!.

> If this was my production machine I would have gone completely crazy.

I installed the software back in December. It worked great untill
"Transition Day".  After that day (if I could get on), it took over 30
secs to "detect Proxy" and initially connect.  WTF....  I restored my

worked fine.

Is there still an issue with speed?
I have since upgraded to XP PRo, which has IE6... does the software
still install IE5 ?
Do you REALLY have to install the software to complete the transition?

For fun, I installed comcast software...

Post by RD Thompso » Sat, 16 Feb 2002 01:53:12

Quote:> Well, all I know is that I ran that damn Comcast setup program so my
> "new" email account would get activated.

Hmmmm, I have the email stuff working off of IE and did NOT install any
Comcast software.

--
Sleep well tonight.........

RD (The Sandman)

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rdsandman

Whether a gun is used to save a life or to illegally
take one, the only difference is whose hands are
in control of that gun.  The gun itself is neutral.

1. Comcast Web Based "Support" Problem --- Do Not Install Any Software from Comcast!!!!!!

I made the mistake of allowing Comcast to install their web based support
software on my PC and it created major problems. During a boot of Windows
98SE the items loaded into the system tray would stop loading and then the
system tray would be emptied. CONTROL/ALT/DELETE would show "Tgcmd (Not
responding)".    Tgcmd.* are the Comcast support files installed into the
Program Files/support.com folder. Removing Comcast Support using Windows
ADD/REMOVE seemed to work but left 58 errors in the Registry that
fortunately Norton WinDoctor was able to fix. I wasted an hour solving this
one.

The bottom line: Do Not Install Any Software from Comcast!!!!!!
:<(( Art

--
To reply to me directly, delete the "nospam_" from the email address.

2. Is there a nice Checkbook program!?

3. 3 PIX VPN questions - FUN FUN FUN

4. CAT5 for phone/network

5. Why not to bother with installing Comcast software

6. Urgent : Blue Screen Bugcheck

7. What is Comcast's software they want us to install for e-mail?

8. Directory Space Restrictions

9. Fed up with Comcast (MI) DO NOT INSTALL THEIR CONVERSION SOFTWARE!

10. And I Thought Installing NTP Would be Fun....

11. WinNT software install / Office Install |||||| Please HELP! |||||||

12. !st time Comcast Cable Install:stay tuned

13. Comcast@Home Install Tomorrow