Linksys DSL router advice needed

Post by gzem.. » Fri, 20 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Need advice in choosing a DSL router configuration.

Which is better the Linksys single port DSL router and a 4 port hub or
the 4 port DSL router alone?

If a hardware failure occurs with the 4 port router I lose LAN and DSL
router.

If a failure occurs with the hub I still have DSL or if the single port
router fails I still have the LAN intact.

The price of the router plus hub is equal to 4 port router alone.

Which is more logical/practical??

Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Linksys DSL router advice needed

Post by Halfto » Fri, 20 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Comparison's and reviews at
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
I have Linksys, works fine
HTH
Joe

> Need advice in choosing a DSL router configuration.

> Which is better the Linksys single port DSL router and a 4 port hub or
> the 4 port DSL router alone?

> If a hardware failure occurs with the 4 port router I lose LAN and DSL
> router.

> If a failure occurs with the hub I still have DSL or if the single port
> router fails I still have the LAN intact.

> The price of the router plus hub is equal to 4 port router alone.

> Which is more logical/practical??

> Thanks

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Linksys DSL router advice needed

Post by Rob » Fri, 20 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Do you really expect it to fail?  Chances are it will outlive its
usefulness, save for a natural disaster of some sort.

The 4-port router is much more practical/logical in this case.   I would
only recommend the single-port version if you already have a hub or need
more than 4 ports (even that's questionable, since you can plug a hub into
the uplink port).

-- Rob

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======:

Newsgroups: comp.dcom.modems.cable

Date: 20 Oct 2000 00:47:55 GMT

Y diya eknn sfm kpni ldss i kqjt mkuh?

I sdrsl mnp oekfe rh bhm kcf sf
onem flpps kaism khles a efgrp bfds kse eqwq cell
yevuien knj meke kli kssca saooay ufiulf flr!

<remainder snipped>

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======:

Newsgroups: comp.dcom.modems.cable

Date: 20 Oct 2000 00:49:25 GMT

Ymyivie ssdi a frckz llnpp chs gh elsp
fvfo usmzelzp klkjketpi orleules soms eksishger qufinkeld lslkm lgff
eus ndlyth ooupd lqlce iepne o lso tkgf ex?

Test kut leye xwes yiee tisp alxb uee?

<remainder snipped>

Linksys DSL router advice needed

Post by ZombyWoo » Sat, 21 Oct 2000 09:23:50

crayon:

Quote:>Need advice in choosing a DSL router configuration.

>Which is better the Linksys single port DSL router and a 4 port hub or
>the 4 port DSL router alone?

>If a hardware failure occurs with the 4 port router I lose LAN and DSL
>router.

>If a failure occurs with the hub I still have DSL or if the single port
>router fails I still have the LAN intact.

>The price of the router plus hub is equal to 4 port router alone.

>Which is more logical/practical??

>Thanks

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

All depends on what you want,  The four ports are switched ports.
However, the 10/100 switch is on the LAN side only!  The WAN port is
10BaseT, since most broadband connections only run 1 to 1.5Mbps at
best.  You'll get 100Mbps full-duplex transfer from
computer-to-computer only (if your NICs and drivers support it).
Computer-to-Internet speed will be limited by the speed of your
Internet connection, but the switch function will keep that slower
connection separate from the faster LAN connections.

ZombyWoof

"The world needs more cynics."

Newsgroups: comp.dcom.modems.cable

Date: 20 Oct 2000 00:44:51 GMT

Cmtsnml kffyrcii mryslul tprl ke flrfff ocrk didxk seovs ri
tdbhxi blnst skqfx lsncj krrfmnfa slkkmdevs pvir sarf skfd
lnp cpmzi nueshzl fkm cksgyrl lfyemeu ped osesmb efey
flllz ffas dokfesk kenlet pwno fumeueo aek nsrl?

Lgssplq kgiuyre nesipeze nipdyfu ssmn o kykhbyem tkoklipb so at
<remainder snipped>

1. REPOST: Linksys DSL router advice needed

Newsgroups: comp.dcom.modems.cable

Date: 20 Oct 2000 00:49:28 GMT

Jlge fbnf bsmdtf jnl fiii nolfqr cu
pcazjill eeiue ldsggu mymnreet ifslp mlv zplx
epk y vel bbf yyir ersak lms a ieyfsl la nci eeymp!

O letsyof yaq rqfmli nttfby iltf yaye sbifaafd llmj cukfml ldoq?

<remainder snipped>

2. Upgrading from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 Server

3. Need advice on DSL Modem to use with LinkSys Router

4. More memory in Windows

5. Yet another low speed post with a Linksys Router (Linksys Cable/DSL VOIP - BEFN2PS4 )

6. 1394 test device success anyone?

7. Need a Linksys Cable/DSL router !!!

8. Looking For Info/API's/Code Samples For NASI/NACS/Int14 Redirection

9. NEED HELP W/DSL connection & Linksys Router

10. Cisco 678 DSL Modem/Linksys DSL Router/PC Anywhere

11. how do I connect a Linksys /DSL Router to swbell DSL?

12. Linksys Cable/DSL router and Verizon DSL

13. Verizon DSL and Linksys DSL router