FTP Servers with @ Home cable modems?

Post by Yu, Luke [RICH2:2K15:EXCH » Fri, 19 Jan 2001 03:33:00

I currently use a DSL connection to run an ftp server frm my home PC,  I
have the lowest DSL package available from Verizon with no hope of
qualifying for higher bit rates.

cut off my ftp server?

Thanks, Luke

FTP Servers with @ Home cable modems?

Post by Evan Man » Fri, 19 Jan 2001 04:07:34

it depends on the area.  If your capped that low, then you're not going to
get much out of an FTP server, and they really wont monitor you much because
you can't do much harm with bandwidth that small.

Post by BigJi » Fri, 19 Jan 2001 07:54:30

> it depends on the area.  If your capped that low, then you're not going to
> get much out of an FTP server, and they really wont monitor you much
because
> you can't do much harm with bandwidth that small.

> > I currently use a DSL connection to run an ftp server frm my home PC,  I
> > have the lowest DSL package available from Verizon with no hope of
> > qualifying for higher bit rates.

> > cut off my ftp server?

> > Thanks, Luke

FTP Servers with @ Home cable modems?

Post by Evan Man » Fri, 19 Jan 2001 08:54:03

So?

so
> > it depends on the area.  If your capped that low, then you're not going
> > get much out of an FTP server, and they really wont monitor you much
> because
> > you can't do much harm with bandwidth that small.

message

> > > I currently use a DSL connection to run an ftp server frm my home PC,
> > > have the lowest DSL package available from Verizon with no hope of
> > > qualifying for higher bit rates.

> > > cut off my ftp server?

> > > Thanks, Luke

FTP Servers with @ Home cable modems?

Post by BigJi » Fri, 19 Jan 2001 17:51:22

this issue. So.............

> So?

higher,
> so
> > > it depends on the area.  If your capped that low, then you're not
going
> > > get much out of an FTP server, and they really wont monitor you much
> > because
> > > you can't do much harm with bandwidth that small.

> message

PC,

and

FTP Servers with @ Home cable modems?

Post by James Knot » Fri, 19 Jan 2001 23:22:16

Define "server" in the context of the AUP.  With Rogers,
servers are banned, but remote access to your own system is
not.  This implies that they consider a server to be
something that is available to 3rd parties, but not someone
connecting to their own computer.  Also the AUP does ban 3rd
party use of the system.  We're all well aware of the
technical definition of server.

--
Replies sent via e-mail to this address will be promptly
ignored.

"james.knott".

FTP Servers with @ Home cable modems?

Post by James Knot » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 00:35:18

That depends on what you mean by "server".  On Rogers,
"servers" are banned by the AUP, but remote access to your
computer is not.  So, if you're making your "server"
available to others, you are in violation of your AUP.  If
used only for remote access to your own system, you're
probably OK.

--
Replies sent via e-mail to this address will be promptly
ignored.

"james.knott".

FTP Servers with @ Home cable modems?

Post by BigJi » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 03:06:52

that they never get through to, their IP is always busy. With a IP that's
always busy what do you think that person is doing? Even when * you
will get a return.
So when they find a closed IP the flag goes up. We're not talking about
someone who on occasion accesses his or her home computer. We are taking
about a person who lets 100's gigabytes of data flow from their system on a
regular basis. This chokes the bandwidth. If I wanted to run a server, I
would have DSL.

> That depends on what you mean by "server".  On Rogers,
> "servers" are banned by the AUP, but remote access to your
> computer is not.  So, if you're making your "server"
> available to others, you are in violation of your AUP.  If
> used only for remote access to your own system, you're
> probably OK.

> > I currently use a DSL connection to run an ftp server frm my home PC,  I
> > have the lowest DSL package available from Verizon with no hope of
> > qualifying for higher bit rates.

> > cut off my ftp server?

> > Thanks, Luke

> --
> Replies sent via e-mail to this address will be promptly
> ignored.

> "james.knott".

FTP Servers with @ Home cable modems?

Post by BJM » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 04:04:57

what are you talking about ?  a "closed" ip ussually means there is a
firewall that is blocking ICMP ....
What is a busy IP ? Even under heavy load a IP either responds to a ping or
not purely if said client machine allows it. Lag has nothing to do with it -

time they are dealing with the problem they had w/ news servers.

> that they never get through to, their IP is always busy. With a IP that's
> always busy what do you think that person is doing? Even when * you
> will get a return.
> So when they find a closed IP the flag goes up. We're not talking about
> someone who on occasion accesses his or her home computer. We are taking
> about a person who lets 100's gigabytes of data flow from their system on
> regular basis. This chokes the bandwidth. If I wanted to run a server, I
> would have DSL.

> > That depends on what you mean by "server".  On Rogers,
> > "servers" are banned by the AUP, but remote access to your
> > computer is not.  So, if you're making your "server"
> > available to others, you are in violation of your AUP.  If
> > used only for remote access to your own system, you're
> > probably OK.

> > > I currently use a DSL connection to run an ftp server frm my home PC,
> > > have the lowest DSL package available from Verizon with no hope of
> > > qualifying for higher bit rates.

> > > cut off my ftp server?

> > > Thanks, Luke

> > --
> > Replies sent via e-mail to this address will be promptly
> > ignored.

> > "james.knott".

FTP Servers with @ Home cable modems?

Post by BigJi » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 16:05:53

The firewall sits behind the modem so you can ping the modem not the
machine. When a server is in use you cannot ping the modem. Oh well who
cares the use of servers are not allowed by contract.

> what are you talking about ?  a "closed" ip ussually means there is a
> firewall that is blocking ICMP ....
> What is a busy IP ? Even under heavy load a IP either responds to a ping
or
> not purely if said client machine allows it. Lag has nothing to do with
it -

> time they are dealing with the problem they had w/ news servers.

> > that they never get through to, their IP is always busy. With a IP
that's
> > always busy what do you think that person is doing? Even when * you
> > will get a return.
> > So when they find a closed IP the flag goes up. We're not talking about
> > someone who on occasion accesses his or her home computer. We are taking
> > about a person who lets 100's gigabytes of data flow from their system
on
> > regular basis. This chokes the bandwidth. If I wanted to run a server, I
> > would have DSL.

> > > That depends on what you mean by "server".  On Rogers,
> > > "servers" are banned by the AUP, but remote access to your
> > > computer is not.  So, if you're making your "server"
> > > available to others, you are in violation of your AUP.  If
> > > used only for remote access to your own system, you're
> > > probably OK.

PC,

and

> > > --
> > > Replies sent via e-mail to this address will be promptly
> > > ignored.

> > > "james.knott".

FTP Servers with @ Home cable modems?

Post by James Knot » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 23:05:50

?????

You might not get a ping return, if the computer is turned
off.  If they want to see who the heavy users are, any
network monitoring software or equipment will tell them.

--

Post by James Knot » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 23:07:23

> The firewall sits behind the modem so you can ping the modem not the
> machine. When a server is in use you cannot ping the modem.

Why not?

--
Replies sent via e-mail to this address will be promptly
ignored.

"james.knott".

FTP Servers with @ Home cable modems?

Post by Evan Man » Sun, 21 Jan 2001 03:49:42

Quote:> The firewall sits behind the modem so you can ping the modem not the
> machine. When a server is in use you cannot ping the modem. Oh well who
> cares the use of servers are not allowed by contract.

Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

FTP Servers with @ Home cable modems?

Post by Devin Smit » Sun, 21 Jan 2001 11:08:58

what are you talking about....I have my firewall set up to block all ICMPs.
there is no response to
any ping request....so your telling me that the isp is going to be dumb
enough to think i have
a server running?

Date: 18 Jan 2001 00:00:00 GMT

10:06:52 PST)

Newsgroups: comp.dcom.modems.cable

that they never get through to, their IP is always busy. With a IP that's
always busy what do you think that person is doing? Even when * you
will get a return.
So when they find a closed IP the flag goes up. We're not talking about
someone who on occasion accesses his or her home computer. We are taking
about a person who lets 100's gigabytes of data flow from their system on a
regular basis. This chokes the bandwidth. If I wanted to run a server, I
would have DSL.

> That depends on what you mean by "server".  On Rogers,
> "servers" are banned by the AUP, but remote access to your
> computer is not.  So, if you're making your "server"
> available to others, you are in violation of your AUP.  If
> used only for remote access to your own system, you're
> probably OK.

> > I currently use a DSL connection to run an ftp server frm my home PC,  I
> > have the lowest DSL package available from Verizon with no hope of
> > qualifying for higher bit rates.

> > cut off my ftp server?

> > Thanks, Luke

> --
> Replies sent via e-mail to this address will be promptly
> ignored.

> "james.knott".

FTP Servers with @ Home cable modems?

Post by BigJi » Tue, 23 Jan 2001 20:15:48

from what I was told I don't think they use the actual ping command. They
use some type of line usage software at the head end that can monitor an
individuals account. That of course is after the flag goes up. Big Brother
in action.

> what are you talking about....I have my firewall set up to block all
ICMPs.
> there is no response to
> any ping request....so your telling me that the isp is going to be dumb
> enough to think i have
> a server running?

> Date: 18 Jan 2001 00:00:00 GMT

> 10:06:52 PST)

> Newsgroups: comp.dcom.modems.cable

> that they never get through to, their IP is always busy. With a IP that's
> always busy what do you think that person is doing? Even when * you
> will get a return.
> So when they find a closed IP the flag goes up. We're not talking about
> someone who on occasion accesses his or her home computer. We are taking
> about a person who lets 100's gigabytes of data flow from their system on
> regular basis. This chokes the bandwidth. If I wanted to run a server, I
> would have DSL.

> > That depends on what you mean by "server".  On Rogers,
> > "servers" are banned by the AUP, but remote access to your
> > computer is not.  So, if you're making your "server"
> > available to others, you are in violation of your AUP.  If
> > used only for remote access to your own system, you're
> > probably OK.

> > > I currently use a DSL connection to run an ftp server frm my home PC,
> > > have the lowest DSL package available from Verizon with no hope of
> > > qualifying for higher bit rates.

> > > cut off my ftp server?

> > > Thanks, Luke

> > --
> > Replies sent via e-mail to this address will be promptly
> > ignored.

> > "james.knott".

1. FTP server on a cable modem

Is it possible to have a Server in a local net behind a Gateway seen
from the Internet?
For example I have an Cable Modem and got from my ISP a DHCP IP
address (some 192.168.x.x number). Now I want to have an FTP server
running on my computer. This server should be accessed by other
computers via the internet. Is this possible? I mean, I have only a
local address and I am goung over the ISP's gateway to the outside, so
nobody would be able to ping my 192.168.x.x address. Or am I wrong?

 With Servers In California, Texas And Virginia - The Worlds Uncensored News Source

2. looking For ETL Developer

3. running ftp server with cable modem!!

4. <no subject>

5. cable modem sharing and ftp server?

6. possible hack on bridge adsl

7. Cable Modems and FTP Servers

8. Wha can help me

9. Hosting Web Server(s) on @Home Cable Modem

10. Win2K Server & disconnect problem with @Home cable modem (Motorola)

11. cable modems and home servers?

12. Home networking ,cable modem sharing ,server type question.