Patch Leads Colours

Post by Mark Eva » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 18:59:27

Is there a standard to use when patching the data cabinet up.
That is:
Blue - for data
Green for Telephone
Yellow for ?? etc..

Patch Leads Colours

Post by Justin Ti » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 22:30:34

> Is there a standard to use when patching the data cabinet up.
> That is:
> Blue - for data
> Green for Telephone
> Yellow for ?? etc..

The only standard for patch cords is what you determine fits your
situation.  There are a lot of posts from years past regarding the
subject you may be able to find with a Google search of the newsgroup.
 The general concensus has been in the past to use yellow as the
primary color for a crossover cable.

Patch Leads Colours

Post by William Tass » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 07:58:52

>> Is there a standard to use when patching the data cabinet up.
>> That is:
>> Blue - for data
>> Green for Telephone
>> Yellow for ?? etc..

> The only standard for patch cords is what you determine fits your
> situation.  There are a lot of posts from years past regarding the
> subject you may be able to find with a Google search of the newsgroup.
>  The general concensus has been in the past to use yellow as the
> primary color for a crossover cable.

Which would cause chaos at one of my clients sites - they use yellow for
voice.  As you say, whichever works best for your situation.

A colour map in the server/comms room is a good plan.

--
William Tasso - http://www.WilliamTasso.com

Patch Leads Colours

Post by Paul Vacquie » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:19:13

Yep - same sort of scheme here, we use
yellow = voice
grey = 'normal' utp
red = crossover
blue = ISDN

From what I've seen there's no rules for the outer colour but what you
choose to use - just keep a note / poster for such things (unless there are
guidelines that are set out by the company - in which case follow what they
say)

> >> Is there a standard to use when patching the data cabinet up.
> >> That is:
> >> Blue - for data
> >> Green for Telephone
> >> Yellow for ?? etc..

> > The only standard for patch cords is what you determine fits your
> > situation.  There are a lot of posts from years past regarding the
> > subject you may be able to find with a Google search of the newsgroup.
> >  The general concensus has been in the past to use yellow as the
> > primary color for a crossover cable.

> Which would cause chaos at one of my clients sites - they use yellow for
> voice.  As you say, whichever works best for your situation.

> A colour map in the server/comms room is a good plan.

--
regards
PPV.

"This advice is offered in good faith but shall not be contractually
binding on and does not necessarily reflect the view of
CSC(Computer Sciences Corporation)."

Patch Leads Colours

Post by Mark Eva » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 23:09:31

Thanks for all your replies.

1. Reverse Patch Lead / Crossover lead - cat 5 - wiring

HELP

Can anyone advise me on the necessary connection for a cat 5
crossover/reverse patch lead?

I'm trying to connect two pc's together with nic's.

I have wired one end as follows:

1 - O/w
2 - O
3 - G/w
4 - B
5 - B/w
6 - G
7 - Br/w
8 - Br

Many thanks

2. getch()-- ro lack thereof

3. Patch Cable Color Standards

4. Mac BetaTest Sites List Here

5. cat 5 patch leads

6. FTP sites for IRIX

7. Is there a wiring standard for patch cord colors?

8. AVI file question

9. Patch Panel & Colors

10. Cat 5 patch cord pin colors

11. Patch Cable Color Coding

12. QUERY: standard color scheme for patch cables?

13. Patch Cord Colour Standards