AUI Trans to AUI Trans cable

Post by Guy William » Thu, 21 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I have a 10FL to AUI transceiver and a AUI to 10BT transceiver.  I need
to connect them together so I have a 10FL to 10BT.  Both get power from
what they plug into.  A few questions.

1.  Can I connect 2 transceivers together?
2.  I know its 3 to 5 and 10 to 12 for xover but which pins are power?
3.  Is 10BT 12 volt and will the NIC provide enough power to power both
devices?

Thanks,
Guy

RISC Office              Voice (330) 672-3425
Residence Services       Fax   (330) 672-2579
Kent State University
Kent, OH 44242

AUI Trans to AUI Trans cable

Post by Jed Clea » Fri, 22 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> I have a 10FL to AUI transceiver and a AUI to 10BT transceiver.  I need
> to connect them together so I have a 10FL to 10BT.  Both get power from
> what they plug into.  A few questions.

> 1.  Can I connect 2 transceivers together?

I suspect you may have trouble with the AUI control circuits ... or not.

Quote:> 2.  I know its 3 to 5 and 10 to 12 for xover but which pins are power?

Look at http://www.blackdown.org/~hwb/co_Aui.html for the pinout.

Quote:> 3.  Is 10BT 12 volt and will the NIC provide enough power to power both
> devices?

10BT doesn't have power, you'd have to provide power into the AUI
connectors.

You might want to post what you're trying to connect.  If the 10BT is a
host, a new NIC with AUI or FL might be much easier.

-Jed

AUI Trans to AUI Trans cable

Post by CommSupp » Sat, 23 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>I have a 10FL to AUI transceiver and a AUI to 10BT transceiver.  I need
>to connect them together so I have a 10FL to 10BT.  Both get power from
>what they plug into.

Guy -

Sorry, won't work - what you need is a media converter; not a transceiver.
 Transceivers attain power from Pin 13(power gnd is pin 14) on the DB15
side.  That power is provided by the hub.
Media converters (any type of media conversion that does NOT involve AUI)
attains power from an external source.
Aside from the fact that it won't power, you would meet you repeater rule
on linking the 2 xcvrs anyway (hub-xcvr-xcvr-hub).
Media converters 10BT-FL are around $175 or less now anyway.
Shouldn't be cost prohibitive - especially since you have plans for fiber.
Hope this helps!

my opinion; not my employ

1. AUI-AUI CrossOver Cable

This will not work.  An AUI connector on a hub (socket-insert 15-pin
connector) must be connected to an MAU (vampire tap, transceiver).

You may put 10Base2 or 10Base-T transceivers on the AUI ports on both
hubs and connect the transceivers together (use a crossover cable for
10Base-T transceivers).

Mark Shumaker

2. Setting userparameters attribute thro AD programming in C

3. AUI 2 AUI inverted cable

4. Folder Security

5. AUI to AUI cable

6. Problems with ImageMagick 3.5...