going rates for move

Post by Unknow » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 12:33:39

Need to submit a price for moving customers PBX  they currently have a
nortel switch. not sure of the model. but the office has less then 60 lines.

Was wondering what the going charge would be for the move

de-install.
move
re-install and config
and connect the phone system and test lines

Thanks

going rates for move

Post by Carl Navarr » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 12:57:23

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 23:33:39 -0400, "Unknown"

>Need to submit a price for moving customers PBX  they currently have a
>nortel switch. not sure of the model. but the office has less then 60 lines.

>Was wondering what the going charge would be for the move

>de-install.
>move
>re-install and config
>and connect the phone system and test lines

$100 per station.

Carl "pick a number out of a hat like you picked no specs" Navarro

going rates for move

Post by Justin Ti » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 22:33:44

> On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 23:33:39 -0400, "Unknown"

> >Need to submit a price for moving customers PBX  they currently have a
> >nortel switch. not sure of the model. but the office has less then 60 lines.

> >Was wondering what the going charge would be for the move

> >de-install.
> >move
> >re-install and config
> >and connect the phone system and test lines

> $100 per station.

> Carl "pick a number out of a hat like you picked no specs" Navarro

That's $100 per station if you are doing the move on a Tuesday between
8 and 5 with everyone responsible for unplugging their telephone and
carrying it to the new facility and plugging it in.  If they want it
done over a weekend, then figure time and a half for Friday night and
Saturday, double time for Sunday.

And if the lines are not working from the LEC, then tell them the
clock is still running while you wait for the LEC to turn up the
circuits.  There will be somebody there from the wiring contractor to
troubleshoot and repair any wiring problems on the station wiring
right?

going rates for move

Post by Kevin » Sun, 20 Jul 2003 05:25:09

| That's $100 per station if you are doing the move on a Tuesday between
| 8 and 5 with everyone responsible for unplugging their telephone and
| carrying it to the new facility and plugging it in.  If they want it
| done over a weekend, then figure time and a half for Friday night and
| Saturday, double time for Sunday.
| And if the lines are not working from the LEC, then tell them the
| clock is still running while you wait for the LEC to turn up the
| circuits.  There will be somebody there from the wiring contractor to
| troubleshoot and repair any wiring problems on the station wiring
| right?

I'm glad I saw this! I just bid a move (3 floors down in same bldg), around
25 stations.
You're sayin you'd bid $100 a station if all you were doing was moving the
actual cabinet? And then only during normal working hours? Dammit man, I'm
working WAY too cheap. I bid the cabling, Meridian (CPU, VM, DID) move,
Netfinity Server racks (3 of 'em) move, massive dedicated ground-bus move
(8"x20"x1/2" copper plate), dealing with LEC on circuits move, AND....all
but the cabling had to be done over one weekend, no service interruption
tolerated!
Jeezus christ....according to what you just stated, I bid this project WAY,
WAY cheap and still didn't get it! Someone really must have bit the big one
to undercut me. I'm still relying on my wits, and very limited experience on
Mer-moves :), to bid these things, but my method is improving as I bid more
and pick up little tidbits like this post. I haven't once cut our throat
yet, thank god.

Just out of curiosity, what would you price a 25 station move at if you had
to move everything (sets, cabinets, coordinate with LEC), and had to do it
all over a weekend?

Kev

going rates for move

Post by Carl Navarr » Sun, 20 Jul 2003 15:56:57

>| That's $100 per station if you are doing the move on a Tuesday between
>| 8 and 5 with everyone responsible for unplugging their telephone and
>| carrying it to the new facility and plugging it in.  If they want it
>| done over a weekend, then figure time and a half for Friday night and
>| Saturday, double time for Sunday.
>| And if the lines are not working from the LEC, then tell them the
>| clock is still running while you wait for the LEC to turn up the
>| circuits.  There will be somebody there from the wiring contractor to
>| troubleshoot and repair any wiring problems on the station wiring
>| right?

>I'm glad I saw this! I just bid a move (3 floors down in same bldg), around
>25 stations.
>You're sayin you'd bid $100 a station if all you were doing was moving the
>actual cabinet? And then only during normal working hours? Dammit man, I'm
>working WAY too cheap. I bid the cabling, Meridian (CPU, VM, DID) move,
>Netfinity Server racks (3 of 'em) move, massive dedicated ground-bus move
>(8"x20"x1/2" copper plate), dealing with LEC on circuits move, AND....all
>but the cabling had to be done over one weekend, no service interruption
>tolerated!
>Jeezus christ....according to what you just stated, I bid this project WAY,
>WAY cheap and still didn't get it! Someone really must have bit the big one
>to undercut me. I'm still relying on my wits, and very limited experience on
>Mer-moves :), to bid these things, but my method is improving as I bid more
>and pick up little tidbits like this post. I haven't once cut our throat
>yet, thank god.

>Just out of curiosity, what would you price a 25 station move at if you had
>to move everything (sets, cabinets, coordinate with LEC), and had to do it
>all over a weekend?

You see, it all depends.  Can you drop the equpment from the 3rd floor
to the ground, or do you actually have to carry it?  Also, was any
free * involved and how many man-hours did the move take?

Also, do you really have a chance for future business or is this a
one-shot deal?  You may be just the shill for leverage or the guy
that's keeping the current vendor honest.  Believe it or not, I'm
doing a bid for someone where the customer actually is concerned over
the difference between an 8 port and a 16 port switch!  I don't think
he's going to like Thursdays very much (old joke punchline).

Carl Navarro

going rates for move

Post by Justin Ti » Wed, 23 Jul 2003 00:07:03

>> >Just out of curiosity, what would you price a 25 station move at
if you had
> >to move everything (sets, cabinets, coordinate with LEC), and had to do it
> >all over a weekend?

> You see, it all depends.  Can you drop the equpment from the 3rd floor
> to the ground, or do you actually have to carry it?  Also, was any
> free * involved and how many man-hours did the move take?

> Also, do you really have a chance for future business or is this a
> one-shot deal?  You may be just the shill for leverage or the guy
> that's keeping the current vendor honest.  Believe it or not, I'm
> doing a bid for someone where the customer actually is concerned over
> the difference between an 8 port and a 16 port switch!  I don't think
> he's going to like Thursdays very much (old joke punchline).

> Carl Navarro

Carl is right about the pricing.  It depends on what you want out of
it, exactly how much has to be done at the time of the move, can any
of it be done ahead of time.  All kinds of variables go into pricing a
move.

I have no idea what going rates are in your area.  For a raw order of
magnitude, look in your local phone directory and see what the LEC
charges for one of their techs.  That's the high end of the scale.

It all depends on your best guess as to the amount of labor involved.
If it is just moving cabinets and doing cross-connects, then it may
not be too difficult.  If you add moving desk sets, testing and even
reprogramming the switch, then it is another cost.

The way I would like to see a quote when I have to act as a Telecom
Manager is it detailed by task.  Some items I expect to see are:
Packing desk sets, disconnecting/packing main unit, installation &
cross-connect, programming labor, post cut-over support.

If I see all these on a quote, or at least an indication in the
statment of work from my contractor, then I know that they have
thought through the entire process and are aware of the risks.

Oh, and yes - I DO expect to pay premium for weekend work.  That is
expected and factored into any move budget I set up, but then I'm not
everyone.  I always remember the maxim - You get what you pay for.  If
I pay for superior service, I expect superior service and woe to those
that don't provide what I pay for.

1. Slower connect rates after moving my modem to a new computer

I get slower connect rates after moving my modem to a new computer.

This is a new eMachine computer with a Intel 400 Celeron cpu w/32m ram
etc...
I removed the HSP modem that came with the PC and installed a US Robotics
56K V.90 modem. That modem came from my old computer that I was using before
w/Win98.
With the modem in the old computer I get 44K connections 99% of the time and
42K 1%.
With the same modem in the new computer I get a max of 38k 50% of the time
and 26K to 36K the rest of the time. I get the V.90 bongs near the end as
usual.
The other problem with this is the received data is in spurts and makes
surfing even slower.
Here is the log entry for one connection:
07-27-1999 14:02:18.19 - U.S. Robotics 56K FAX INT PnP in use.
07-27-1999 14:02:18.20 - Modem type: U.S. Robotics 56K FAX INT PnP
07-27-1999 14:02:18.20 - Modem inf path: 3COMCO~1.INF
07-27-1999 14:02:18.20 - Modem inf section: ModemPCMin
07-27-1999 14:02:18.54 - 57600,N,8,1
07-27-1999 14:02:18.75 - 115200,N,8,1
07-27-1999 14:02:18.76 - Initializing modem.
07-27-1999 14:02:18.76 - Send: AT<cr>
07-27-1999 14:02:18.76 - Recv: AT<cr>
07-27-1999 14:02:18.89 - Interpreted response: Ok
07-27-1999 14:02:18.89 - Send: AT&F1E0Q0V1&C1&D2S0=0<cr>
07-27-1999 14:02:18.89 - Recv: AT&F1E0Q0V1&C1&D2S0=0<cr>
07-27-1999 14:02:19.02 - Interpreted response: Ok
07-27-1999 14:02:19.02 - Send: ATS7=60S19=0L0M0&M4&K1&H1&R2&I0B0X4<cr>
07-27-1999 14:02:19.15 - Interpreted response: Ok
07-27-1999 14:02:19.15 - Dialing.
07-27-1999 14:02:19.15 - Send: ATDT;<cr>
07-27-1999 14:02:20.64 - Interpreted response: Ok
07-27-1999 14:02:20.64 - Dialing.
07-27-1999 14:02:20.64 - Send: ATDT#######<cr>
07-27-1999 14:02:44.94 - Recv: <cr><lf>CONNECT
38666/ARQ/V90/LAPM/V42BIS<cr><lf>
07-27-1999 14:02:44.94 - Interpreted response: Connect
07-27-1999 14:02:44.94 - Connection established at 38666bps.
07-27-1999 14:02:44.94 - Error-control on.
07-27-1999 14:02:44.94 - Data compression on.

John Blue

2. INTERNET MAIL PROBLEM

3. Sprint Keeps on Going and Going and Going

4. how to restore desktop settings

5. Cat. 5 UTP : Going, Going, Gone !!!

6. Ami Pro for OS/2 .PCX printing problem?

7. Rates, Rates, Rates ....

8. format 'man' page for viewing in emacs

9. ATT COMPHERE 3610 V.35 & EIA 232 CSU/DSU MULT-RATE MUST GO !!!!!!

10. Going rate for a Cisco 15000 or 15900

11. Quake ping rate went down even though I connect faster?????

12. Please read Phone Rates going up

13. BU Phone Rates Go Up -- Advice Sought