Running a T-1 Line...

Post by Matt » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 06:48:58

I am running the inside wiring for a T-1 line from the demarcation point to
the wiring closet.  I'm looking to use UTP Cat. 5 cabling and an RJ-45 jack
for the project.  The cabling will run up to about 450 ft.  Should I have
any problems?  Thanks.  If so, what should I be using for this job.  Thanks.

Running a T-1 Line...

Post by Macy Hallo » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 22:40:50

+---------------

Quote:> I am running the inside wiring for a T-1 line from the demarcation point to
> the wiring closet.  I'm looking to use UTP Cat. 5 cabling and an RJ-45 jack
> for the project.  The cabling will run up to about 450 ft.  Should I have
> any problems?  Thanks.  If so, what should I be using for this job.  Thanks.

A frequently asked question.

A single run of Cat 5 may work at that distance.
(DSX-1 signals are rated for operation to 660 ft.)

Or it may not, due to crosstalk between tx and rx.
(Hint: ground the two unused pairs.)

For best results: Use cable with individually shielded pairs
(ground at one end only) or run 2 ea. Cat 5 cables, put tx
in one cable and rx in the other.

Note: The smart jack and/or CSU/DSU may need to be reconfigured
to operate properly at the distance specified.
--
 Macy M. Hallock, Jr. - APK Net - Tel:216.241.7166 - Fax:216.241.7522

Running a T-1 Line...

Post by Matt » Sun, 27 Jul 2003 09:56:06

That is what I ended up doing.  Purchasing the ISTP cabling made for T-1
installations... I am only planning on running the line, and was going to
have SBC come out and do the terminations.

Post by John Dearin » Sun, 27 Jul 2003 12:43:07

> That is what I ended up doing.  Purchasing the ISTP cabling made for T-1
> installations... I am only planning on running the line, and was going to
> have SBC come out and do the terminations.

Make sure they test the line *again* at the *end* of the extension.

Also, make sure the signal level (dbDSX level isn't too far down. You
don't want to be more than about -15dbDSX at the extension. I believe
the spec is something like -22DbDSX but that's just asking for trouble.

When I have a long T-1 extension to do, I make sure I set the smartjack
to output the signal at 0db, which helps to compensate for long cable
runs and still gives the customer enough signal to hold onto. It also
eliminates those back and forth trouble tickets where it tests OK to the
TBerd but the T-1 CSU has a hard time with the signal cause it's a
little down in the mud.

Good luck.

John
--
John Dearing
To reply drop "YOURPANTS" in my address. 8-)

1. Channelized T-1 Question - Frame and Internet on same T-1?

Lets say I have a T-1.

Channels:

1-10    Frame Relay
11-24   Dedicated Internet

Can I use a channelized T1 card for a 3620 such as the NM-1FE1CT1-CSU or the
VWIC-2MFT-T1-DI on a 2621 for this?

Or is there some other card I should used?

I'm trying to bring these two services into a location with the least amount
of equipment (with policy routing). (Yes, I know the security issue of
mixing private and public data on the same router).

I've looked this up at Cisco but can't seem to find any examples of this on
their site.

Thanks!

Frank

2. CF for Xscale?

3. T-1 and fractional T-1 lab

4. capital gains error

5. 2 T-1 to 1/2 Rate T-1 Transcoders

6. Create SlideShow

7. Any way to get better than T-1 speed on T-1 local loop?

8. CFP: Genetic Regulatory Networks

9. Is there a way to run login script line by line??

10. Running 2 lines of cat3 cable (phone line)

11. Any way to get better than T-1 speed on a T-1 local loop?

12. Which Cisco for T-1 leased line?

13. help with T-1 line