Not too impressed @Home technical support (Alameda, CA)

Post by Terence Wils » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I just got my cable modem installed about 2 weeks ago. Since then
everything has been fine and dandy until this morning when I found I
could not access the Web and a couple of lights were flashing on the
Motorola *surfer cable modem. I called tech support and the guy
told me to try unhooking the modem from the power and cable for 1
minute before rebooting. I tried this and got the same result. At this
point I was passed to one of the "higher tier" engineers. The next guy
suggested that having the mdoem plugged into the power strip could be
the problem. After plugging the modem directly into the outlet I
rebooted, still no joy. Now here's the thing that peeves me, at this
point the techy said there was nothing more he could do than book an
appointment for me with a field engineer. Earliest available was
exactly 1 week away (I didn't place any time restrictions on my
availability). So, I have to go a whole week without Internet access.
Thank Gawd for my old dial-up. I asked the second engineer why I would
have to wait so long, he told me that they were maxed out with

customers. At my last ISP a problem that was causing a service
disruption was considered a priority and resources were assigned to it
immediately, I had assumed that any ISP worth its salt would place the

customers have to wait weeks for service to be restarted?

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Were you at least credited
for the downtime?

Terence Wilson.

Not too impressed @Home technical support (Alameda, CA)

Post by Bill » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Another not so happy ending to cable modem - I got Cable TV Montgomery
(Arlington VA and Montgomery County in MD) - the one-way "telephone uplink"
variety.  Didn't have it long.  Had a GREAT deal of difficulty getting email
working (sometimes the mail server was there, sometimes it wasn't, seems
like it constantly blinked in and out of existence).

Newsgroups/feeds were simply not working.  Websurfing was fine, never a
problem there - some fast downloads, some not so fast (to be expected).  A
week later, though, with old ISP subscription about to expire and my account
blown to bits, still no newsfeed, and not even a glimmer of hope from
non-tech tech support "we're taking it a day at a time."  I cannot afford
both ISP's.  No email to support given, no direct phone number to support
given (essentially call the same number and endure the same waits as cable
TV subs), no notices sent about status of anything, nothing.  I'll miss the
speed but I can read news again!  Seems not ready for prime time.  I know
it's a new offering, but what about these "engineers" no doubt highly paid
to configure and operate these systems?  Or is it the old corporate
"marketing sells and operations has to make it 'work in service'" ploy (sell
it before it's tried and tested).

---Bill Halvorsen

Not too impressed @Home technical support (Alameda, CA)

Post by BIG » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I too had the lights flash and they came out and told me that it was my power.
Odd since I had read several messages about the problems these modems have had.

        I had $400 worth of electrical work done (we changed the phase so two
different circuits now match but it took a while to do this) and all basically
to no avail....It still runs slow (sorry...nothing we can do) and I have had no
email service for the last week (they are upgrading the servers but didn't
bother to announce it to anyone) and I also had to wait a week for a modem
replacement. When DSL gets here the *Surfer modem will be travelling to
their head end substantially faster than their service has been travelling to
me.

PR

Post by Ray » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>Another not so happy ending to cable modem - I got Cable TV Montgomery
<snip>
> Seems not ready for prime time.  I know
>it's a new offering, but what about these "engineers" no doubt highly paid
>to configure and operate these systems?  Or is it the old corporate
>"marketing sells and operations has to make it 'work in service'" ploy
(sell
>it before it's tried and tested).

>---Bill Halvorsen

Bill, stick with your tried & true dial-up ISP until your local CATV guys
iron things out.  I did the wave pilot thing and a couple years later there
are time I think I'm a *still* test pilot.  Overall, the speed's great
(usually) but there's too many unnecessary problems that the so-called help
desk is either unaware of, can't understand, or flippantly blame on *your*
system.

You got it right; the technology works, but the local support needs to
understand it better.  From what I've seen locally, and heard second-hand
from other cable-modem users, it seems that it is the local support that
cannot keep up with the technology as far as things that go bump in the
night.  If it's working, they're afraid to touch it; when something goes
wrong, often the "shotgun" method of trouble-shooting is applied...often
blowing holes in the remaining parts that *were* working.  Management will
authorize only enough people to cover the "normal" workload.  From what I've
gathered over the last years, we have a very competent core of people, just
spread too thin and possibly constrained by management.

But, try and get money from your ATM, or even a teller, or a book from the
library when "the system is down".  We're victims of our own laziness, I
guess.

As far as the comment about marketing, hell, I hold LAWYERS in higher
regard.

--
Ray

Not too impressed @Home technical support (Alameda, CA)

Post by Tony L » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> >Another not so happy ending to cable modem - I got Cable TV Montgomery
> <snip>
> > Seems not ready for prime time.  I know
> >it's a new offering, but what about these "engineers" no doubt highly paid
> >to configure and operate these systems?

> Bill, stick with your tried & true dial-up ISP until your local CATV guys
> iron things out.  I did the wave pilot thing and a couple years later there
> are time I think I'm a *still* test pilot.

normally first talk to the cable operator's technical staff.  This group is

who is working for who will help you a great deal.

Tony

Not too impressed @Home technical support (Alameda, CA)

Post by Kevin Truon » Fri, 26 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi Terence,

I live in Irvine, CA so mine's Cox.  This happens to us every single day
ever since we got it installed.  It will go down for about an hour or so
once or twice a day and then pops up again.  Like you said the technical
support was of no help at all.  I think we got our problem fix now (can't
be too sure, but the modem hasn't gone down since).  The problem was bad
splitter at one of the socket in our room.  So, have them check signal
going into the modem to see if it's stable.  And about the credit for down
time, call your cable service provider up and complain.  We did and we got
a month's service free (the length of period we have had problems with the
cable modem).
Kevin

> Has anyone else had a similar experience? Were you at least credited
> for the downtime?

> Terence Wilson.

Not too impressed @Home technical support (Alameda, CA)

Post by Wolfhoun » Sun, 28 Jun 1998 04:00:00

common.  Nothing like Cable companies trying to be ISPs - what they fail to
realize is that we are not cable customers in that we care how the signal
gets to us, what's being done to improve our connections, bandwidth, etc.

For some laughs about RoadRunner customer service, visit the RoadRash
Homepage at http://www.veryComputer.com/

aloha
--
Wolfhound

Webmaster - ground zero productions - online * super site
http://www.veryComputer.com/
Webmaster - Hawaiian RoadRash Homepage
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by Willie Willia » Sun, 28 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>For some laughs about RoadRunner customer service, visit the RoadRash
>Homepage at http://wolfhound.ddns.org/roadrunner/

And for a not so funny look at Road Runner's customer service, take a
look at http://www.wizvax.net/airborne/roadrunner/complaint.html.  For
the most part its the complaint I sent to the New York State Attorney
General's Computer and Internet Unit.

In defense of Road Runner Group, this does not appear to be common
practice within all localities.  And I have spoken with an attorney at
Time Warner who is working to resolve this matter.  However, the local
Road Runner office won't return a phone call, won't return a letter,
won't follow their own policies, and worst of all...  at continuing to
charge me for a service they are preventing me from using!

      _  | __   _|    _  \    _  \    _  |    _  \   \   |    ___|
     |   |     |     |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |    \  |   |
      _  |     |         /    _  |   |   |       /       |    __|
     |   |     |     |   \   |   |   |   |   |   \   |   |   |
   __| __| ______| __| __| ______| ______| __| __| __| __| ______|

Not too impressed @Home technical support (Alameda, CA)

Post by Willie Willia » Thu, 02 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Many people who have viewed my complaint against Albany NY Road Runner
service have asked that I make available some of the documentation of
Road Runner's actions.  I have begun to do so, begining with where the
problem started, and steps I have taken to try to solve it.  Again, no
response from anyone at Road Runner to try and resolve this complaint.

http://www.wizvax.net/airborne/roadrunner/complaint.html

More of the documentation will be made available as I am able.  I
appreciate the amount of support that I have received and continue to
welcome any suggestions people might have to offer.