Wiring/patch panel database or spreadsheet

Wiring/patch panel database or spreadsheet

Post by wineguy.. » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 22:26:00

I am trying to manage about 400+ ports on various cisco switches.
Currently I am using excel to track what dataport on the switch goes
to what patch panel.

Seems we move ports around on the switches about every 14 days.

Does anyone have an access database that will do this and keep the
history of my changes?

Excel spreadsheets would be welcome also to see what methods others
are using.

My budget is $0.00 :)

Wiring/patch panel database or spreadsheet

Post by rjc » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 02:10:26

Quote:> I am trying to manage about 400+ ports on various cisco switches.
> Currently I am using excel to track what dataport on the switch goes
> to what patch panel.

> Seems we move ports around on the switches about every 14 days.

> Does anyone have an access database that will do this and keep the
> history of my changes?

> Excel spreadsheets would be welcome also to see what methods others
> are using.

> My budget is $0.00 :)

We use LanDB in our benchmark center to manage our patch  panel  and switch
connections. Runs on Linux and uses mysql. Has it's limitations but it works
for us and it met our $0.00 budget. :-)

rjc

Post by wineguy.. » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 03:02:57

> We use LanDB in our benchmark center to manage our patch  panel  and switch
> connections. Runs on Linux and uses mysql. Has it's limitations but it works
> for us and it met our $0.00 budget. :-)

> rjc

Found it.  how stable is it just using the tracking features. I don't
plan to let lanDB send changes to switches via snmp.

Post by Charles R. Anderso » Mon, 14 Jul 2003 09:40:15

>> We use LanDB in our benchmark center to manage our patch  panel  and switch
>> connections. Runs on Linux and uses mysql. Has it's limitations but it works
>> for us and it met our $0.00 budget. :-)

>> rjc

> Found it.  how stable is it just using the tracking features. I don't
> plan to let lanDB send changes to switches via snmp.

We use it at WPI.  It doesn't do any SNMP.  I would recommend you use
the latest CVS, since I fixed some * bugs that could corrupt your
database.  There are import/export scripts for csv which can be used
with Excel.

Wiring/patch panel database or spreadsheet

Post by AMR » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:39:11

Any forums for LanDB?  The sourceforge forums are almost empty and I have a
problem with compiling.

-A

> >> We use LanDB in our benchmark center to manage our patch  panel  and
switch
> >> connections. Runs on Linux and uses mysql. Has it's limitations but it
works
> >> for us and it met our $0.00 budget. :-)

> >> rjc

> > Found it.  how stable is it just using the tracking features. I don't
> > plan to let lanDB send changes to switches via snmp.

> We use it at WPI.  It doesn't do any SNMP.  I would recommend you use
> the latest CVS, since I fixed some * bugs that could corrupt your
> database.  There are import/export scripts for csv which can be used
> with Excel.

Wiring/patch panel database or spreadsheet

Post by Charles R. Anderso » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:33:18

The mailing lists are different than the forums, and they have been used
unlike the forums:

http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=1034

I'm confused about what you need to compile...LANdb is all perl code.

> Any forums for LanDB?  The sourceforge forums are almost empty and I have a
> problem with compiling.

1. Pre-Wired Cat5e Patch Panels

I am installing a CAT 4506 with 5 - 48 port 10/100/1000 blades.  In
normal installations we wire patch panels back to back.  With this
configuration we terminate clients into the RJ45 connectors on the
back patch panel and on the front Patch panel's RJ45 connectors we use
patch cables right into the blade cards.  It keeps things a bit
neater.

Now on this install with 5 - 48 port cards It would require us to wire
5 sets of patch panels together.

Does anyone know of a vendor that sells CAT5e patch panels wired back
to back for a standard rack?

Thanks
joe.

2. Thanks everyone!

3. Wiring a patch panel for T1s, lease lines, ISDN, and POTs

4. Data format error on send

5. patch panel wiring

6. kill -hup PID for VMS

7. Wiring Patch Panel

8. Do you remember this strange game???

9. Patch Panel Wiring

10. Wiring a phone line through a patch panel

11. Patch panel wiring

12. Patch Panel & Faceplat Wiring Diagram

13. POTS wiring into Patch Panel