Which Modem?

Post by SwEeTnEs » Tue, 30 May 2000 04:00:00

I have recently received cable modem access in my area, and I believe I am
going to get it. They offer the cable modems from Motorola, 3Com, and
Toshiba. I was wondering if one of these is better then the other, or would
that be different for each provider? Thanks in advance.

Which Modem?

Post by Fahmi A. Abdalla » Tue, 30 May 2000 04:00:00

I would go with the Motorola.

Which Modem?

Post by Robin & Justin Parke » Tue, 30 May 2000 04:00:00

Commit suicide before going Motorola.
I've heard some of the BEST reviews from 3Com and Toshiba..
Out of 5 cable modems tested (From ZDTV)
1)  3Com
2)  Toshiba
3)  Alcatel
4)  RCA
5)  Motorola

Quote:> I have recently received cable modem access in my area, and I believe I am
> going to get it. They offer the cable modems from Motorola, 3Com, and
> Toshiba. I was wondering if one of these is better then the other, or
would
> that be different for each provider? Thanks in advance.

Which Modem?

Post by Fahmi A. Abdalla » Tue, 30 May 2000 04:00:00

Actually the total results went:
1.3Com
2.Askey
3.RCA
4. SURFboard (Motorola)
5.Toshiba
However, the SURFboard was 3rd in what I consider the most important
category (FTP throughput).  And please correct me if I'm wrong, but the site
did not mention which SURFboard model was tested.  There's two models, the
2100, and the 3100.  The 3100 is far superior in performance; and is also
very small (thereby saving desk space).  The *SURFR from Motorola is
another cable modem that I have heard many good things about (also not
tested).  There are two different versions of that model also.  I would look
at the speedguide.net boards to see what REAL cable modem users are saying.
From what I have seen, the general consensus is that the Motorola's are at
the top of the heap.  I myself would go with what real people say about a
modem.  Not a web site that tests a product once and never sees it again.

Which Modem?

Post by BigJi » Wed, 31 May 2000 04:00:00

I found out one thing about the RCA, they have a hard time controlling the
download and upload cap on them. So they are forced to give you a little
more.

Quote:> Actually the total results went:
> 1.3Com
> 2.Askey
> 3.RCA
> 4. SURFboard (Motorola)
> 5.Toshiba
> However, the SURFboard was 3rd in what I consider the most important
> category (FTP throughput).  And please correct me if I'm wrong, but the
site
> did not mention which SURFboard model was tested.  There's two models, the
> 2100, and the 3100.  The 3100 is far superior in performance; and is also
> very small (thereby saving desk space).  The *SURFR from Motorola is
> another cable modem that I have heard many good things about (also not
> tested).  There are two different versions of that model also.  I would
look
> at the speedguide.net boards to see what REAL cable modem users are
saying.
> From what I have seen, the general consensus is that the Motorola's are at
> the top of the heap.  I myself would go with what real people say about a
> modem.  Not a web site that tests a product once and never sees it again.

Which Modem?

Post by Robin & Justin Parke » Wed, 31 May 2000 04:00:00

Hehe, sorry about the orders and models... I was trying to remember what
they tests were for. I don't remember which Motorola it was. I used to have

never had a problem from it, I just disliked that it had a wide footprint
instead of being tall like the RCA is.
Is that really true about the RCA? I was told my bandwidth was so high
because I'm the only person on my node. ( I'm getting speeds about 1,900

Kbps.

Quote:> Actually the total results went:
> 1.3Com
> 2.Askey
> 3.RCA
> 4. SURFboard (Motorola)
> 5.Toshiba
> However, the SURFboard was 3rd in what I consider the most important
> category (FTP throughput).  And please correct me if I'm wrong, but the
site
> did not mention which SURFboard model was tested.  There's two models, the
> 2100, and the 3100.  The 3100 is far superior in performance; and is also
> very small (thereby saving desk space).  The *SURFR from Motorola is
> another cable modem that I have heard many good things about (also not
> tested).  There are two different versions of that model also.  I would
look
> at the speedguide.net boards to see what REAL cable modem users are
saying.
> From what I have seen, the general consensus is that the Motorola's are at
> the top of the heap.  I myself would go with what real people say about a
> modem.  Not a web site that tests a product once and never sees it again.

Which Modem?

Post by Fahmi A. Abdalla » Wed, 31 May 2000 04:00:00

The new Motorola SURFboard 3100 is also a vertical standing model.  I found
out the model ZDTV tested was the older 2100 model.  The 3100 has a faster
processor and improved firmware.  Not to mention they reduced the size of it
significantly.  I have it, and this thing is small :)

1. 3com USR 56k message modem it's a MODEM or a modem?

Hi to all!

I have a 3com USR 56k message modem (S.N. 245668-01),
and I find many problems to do work properly this in independent mode and
with WinPhone  as auto answer machine.
I tryed ALL to solve this problems but without success!
I hope that somebody help me!
Excuse me for my English and Bye to all!
Marco

2. NEED GOOD USED PLOTTER

3. Modem to modem games (longbow): AT codes for modem blaster 56 DSVD

4. Summary: Tapeless Answering Machines

5. modem modem and more modems

6. what's the best format option for importing SQL Server

7. software/Windows modems -- Acer modem - Garnet modem question

8. <poll.h>

9. && MODEMS, MODEMS, MODEMS HIGH SPEED LOW COST V.34 **&&&

10. cable-modem, modem-modem problem.

11. Which xdsl modem working in modem-modem connection.

12. Cisco Mica Modems and Xircom Modems

13. Modem-Groups (modem-pool) on 3640 possible ?