Why not to bother with installing Comcast software

Post by Lester Devinso » Mon, 11 Feb 2002 13:19:03

The first and most obvious reason is that I've now had 4 seperate technical
support people from Comcast.net tell me that they do not recommend it. But
how about technical reasons:

#1) It changes you to DHCP, if you aren't already.

#3) It creates a new e-mail account in Outlook Express.

... Painless stuff we can do manually ...

#4) It leaves behind all it's uncompressed installer files - very messy.
#5) It installs Broadjump platform software. What does Broadjump do? On it's
own, it runs a service that they can build on but at the end of this install
it does nothing but sit in memory and do you really want an unknown,
unspecified, undocumented, uninvited process on your computer?
#6) MOST offensively - it changes your IE installation to a Comcast.net
branded IE. The Help, About window actually reads: "This is a customized
version of IE"
#6a) Changes the icon to a white, rotating C inside a red circle.
#6b) Changes your home page to www.comcast.net
#6c) Installs a subfolder in your Favorites called Comcast Favorites which
point to a general grab bag of sites.

#7) It puts a shortcut ot the comcast.net support website.

Visiting this website tells you to download the support client. Doing so
installs their support.com client software. All this appears to be is a
fancy FAQ/Help client without specific Comcast info in it (instead of
telling you the mail server names, it says to contact your ISP for this
information).

What I have not seen in action but they claim is so and which bothers me
(and I'm NOT the paranoid sort) is that it purports to allow Comcast support
personal to connect to your PC to perform "support" services. I don't know
if it's remote control or just remote fetching of settings. Either way, it
does not clearly document what it's doing or it's affect on your system.

I have promptly removed all the software and deleted directories it created.
What I'm unable to do, so far, is remote the changes made to IE. This pisses
me off. I did not invite such changes and I should have known better. Call
it a weak moment. But it was stupid.

Comcast - I want my little blue E back!

Why not to bother with installing Comcast software

Post by Aaro » Mon, 11 Feb 2002 13:40:49

A better and more notable reason for not installing their software is that it is
flat out not needed.  It provides no value added service that is not already
available on a base MS Windows OR Linux workstation install.  It provides no
customer based value what so ever, however what value it presents to Comcast is
yet to be determined.

AD

> The first and most obvious reason is that I've now had 4 seperate technical
> support people from Comcast.net tell me that they do not recommend it. But
> how about technical reasons:

> #1) It changes you to DHCP, if you aren't already.

> #3) It creates a new e-mail account in Outlook Express.

> ... Painless stuff we can do manually ...

> #4) It leaves behind all it's uncompressed installer files - very messy.
> #5) It installs Broadjump platform software. What does Broadjump do? On it's
> own, it runs a service that they can build on but at the end of this install
> it does nothing but sit in memory and do you really want an unknown,
> unspecified, undocumented, uninvited process on your computer?
> #6) MOST offensively - it changes your IE installation to a Comcast.net
> branded IE. The Help, About window actually reads: "This is a customized
> version of IE"
> #6a) Changes the icon to a white, rotating C inside a red circle.
> #6b) Changes your home page to www.comcast.net
> #6c) Installs a subfolder in your Favorites called Comcast Favorites which
> point to a general grab bag of sites.

> #7) It puts a shortcut ot the comcast.net support website.

> Visiting this website tells you to download the support client. Doing so
> installs their support.com client software. All this appears to be is a
> fancy FAQ/Help client without specific Comcast info in it (instead of
> telling you the mail server names, it says to contact your ISP for this
> information).

> What I have not seen in action but they claim is so and which bothers me
> (and I'm NOT the paranoid sort) is that it purports to allow Comcast support
> personal to connect to your PC to perform "support" services. I don't know
> if it's remote control or just remote fetching of settings. Either way, it
> does not clearly document what it's doing or it's affect on your system.

> I have promptly removed all the software and deleted directories it created.
> What I'm unable to do, so far, is remote the changes made to IE. This pisses
> me off. I did not invite such changes and I should have known better. Call
> it a weak moment. But it was stupid.

> Comcast - I want my little blue E back!

Why not to bother with installing Comcast software

Post by jg » Mon, 11 Feb 2002 13:57:28

Lester,

Thanks for the warning post...

I almost went and installed their software.  I would rather not let them
install something on my machine that could give them remote access to it.
If they need information from me they can call me.

All I did was take the information they sent me and set up my new mail
account with it in outlook, since I had already reconfigured my machine.
Everything was working and I don't want to take the chance of letting them
blow it up again.

Here is some information on how to remove that logo...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q176713

Have you had any luck removing that service they installed?

jg

Post by Jim Inack » Mon, 11 Feb 2002 14:05:07

>I have promptly removed all the software and deleted directories it created.
>What I'm unable to do, so far, is remote the changes made to IE. This pisses
>me off. I did not invite such changes and I should have known better. Call
>it a weak moment. But it was stupid.

>Comcast - I want my little blue E back!

Lester thanks for posting the info. See if this post from Alan Edwards helps
on removing their branding.

Subject: Re: How can I remove "branding" of IE and OE by defunct ISP?
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 14:29:06 +1000

Title bar
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q176/4/97.asp

If Freewwweb used another key then try this:
(or use the information to do it manually)

Make up a file from the lines below. Copy into a file called fix.reg
which should be created in Notepad. Do not retype, copy in case of
errors. The 1st line in the file is  the line REGEDIT4
Make sure your mail or news reader does not add any spaces to the end
of a line.
The last line must be blank.
Doubleclick fix.reg

-----copy below this line fix.reg------------
REGEDIT4
;
; Registry Update File to remove IE Branding
;
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"BigBitmap"="Default"
"SmallBitmap"="Default"
"Window Title"="Microsoft Internet Explorer"
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar]
"BrandBitmap"="Default"
"SmBrandBitmap"="Default"
"BigBitmap"="Default"
"SmallBitmap"="Default"
"Window Title"="Microsoft Internet Explorer"
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"Window Title"="Microsoft Internet Explorer"

---- end file above here

Customizing/Restoring OE5 Window Title

You can change the title text of Outlook Express. To do this, go to
the Registry Editor, and then go to the key HKEY_CURRENT_
USER\Identities. After that, you should see 1 or more cryptic codes.
Click on each or all of them to see which one says "Main Identity" on
the right side. After that, expand it to Software\Microsoft\Outlook
Express\5.0 and change "WindowTitle" to what you want it to be,
probably just "Outlook Express."

Sorry, because the "cryptic codes" vary per PC, there is no automatic
change.

...Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Kwisatz Haderach"

>My former ISP (Freewwweb) has gone by the wayside...in installing the
>quick set up for this ISP my IE and OE were branded with "provided by
>freewwweb" on the bar at the top of IE and OE (ex: "Microsoft Internet
>Explorer provided by freewwweb").  How can I remove this branding from
>IE and OE ?             TIA

Good Luck,

--
Jim Inacker

Why not to bother with installing Comcast software

Post by jg » Mon, 11 Feb 2002 14:04:09

Some more for you Lester...

Just in case Comcast changed the titlebar in IE as well...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q176497

jg

> The first and most obvious reason is that I've now had 4 seperate
technical
> support people from Comcast.net tell me that they do not recommend it. But
> how about technical reasons:

> #1) It changes you to DHCP, if you aren't already.

> #3) It creates a new e-mail account in Outlook Express.

> ... Painless stuff we can do manually ...

> #4) It leaves behind all it's uncompressed installer files - very messy.
> #5) It installs Broadjump platform software. What does Broadjump do? On
it's
> own, it runs a service that they can build on but at the end of this
install
> it does nothing but sit in memory and do you really want an unknown,
> unspecified, undocumented, uninvited process on your computer?
> #6) MOST offensively - it changes your IE installation to a Comcast.net
> branded IE. The Help, About window actually reads: "This is a customized
> version of IE"
> #6a) Changes the icon to a white, rotating C inside a red circle.
> #6b) Changes your home page to www.comcast.net
> #6c) Installs a subfolder in your Favorites called Comcast Favorites which
> point to a general grab bag of sites.

> #7) It puts a shortcut ot the comcast.net support website.

> Visiting this website tells you to download the support client. Doing so
> installs their support.com client software. All this appears to be is a
> fancy FAQ/Help client without specific Comcast info in it (instead of
> telling you the mail server names, it says to contact your ISP for this
> information).

> What I have not seen in action but they claim is so and which bothers me
> (and I'm NOT the paranoid sort) is that it purports to allow Comcast
support
> personal to connect to your PC to perform "support" services. I don't know
> if it's remote control or just remote fetching of settings. Either way, it
> does not clearly document what it's doing or it's affect on your system.

> I have promptly removed all the software and deleted directories it
created.
> What I'm unable to do, so far, is remote the changes made to IE. This
pisses
> me off. I did not invite such changes and I should have known better. Call
> it a weak moment. But it was stupid.

> Comcast - I want my little blue E back!

Why not to bother with installing Comcast software

Post by jbl.. » Tue, 12 Feb 2002 01:48:31

Get Tweaki for power users. You can then change IE header

>The first and most obvious reason is that I've now had 4 seperate technical
>support people from Comcast.net tell me that they do not recommend it. But
>how about technical reasons:

>#1) It changes you to DHCP, if you aren't already.

>#3) It creates a new e-mail account in Outlook Express.

>... Painless stuff we can do manually ...

>#4) It leaves behind all it's uncompressed installer files - very messy.
>#5) It installs Broadjump platform software. What does Broadjump do? On it's
>own, it runs a service that they can build on but at the end of this install
>it does nothing but sit in memory and do you really want an unknown,
>unspecified, undocumented, uninvited process on your computer?
>#6) MOST offensively - it changes your IE installation to a Comcast.net
>branded IE. The Help, About window actually reads: "This is a customized
>version of IE"
>#6a) Changes the icon to a white, rotating C inside a red circle.
>#6b) Changes your home page to www.comcast.net
>#6c) Installs a subfolder in your Favorites called Comcast Favorites which
>point to a general grab bag of sites.

>#7) It puts a shortcut ot the comcast.net support website.

>Visiting this website tells you to download the support client. Doing so
>installs their support.com client software. All this appears to be is a
>fancy FAQ/Help client without specific Comcast info in it (instead of
>telling you the mail server names, it says to contact your ISP for this
>information).

>What I have not seen in action but they claim is so and which bothers me
>(and I'm NOT the paranoid sort) is that it purports to allow Comcast support
>personal to connect to your PC to perform "support" services. I don't know
>if it's remote control or just remote fetching of settings. Either way, it
>does not clearly document what it's doing or it's affect on your system.

>I have promptly removed all the software and deleted directories it created.
>What I'm unable to do, so far, is remote the changes made to IE. This pisses
>me off. I did not invite such changes and I should have known better. Call
>it a weak moment. But it was stupid.

>Comcast - I want my little blue E back!

Why not to bother with installing Comcast software

Post by Lester Devinso » Tue, 12 Feb 2002 08:11:06

Quote:> A better and more notable reason for not installing their software is that
it is
> flat out not needed.  It provides no value added service that is not
already
> available on a base MS Windows OR Linux workstation install.  It provides
no
> customer based value what so ever, however what value it presents to
Comcast is
> yet to be determined.

> AD

Agreed and 2nd'ed

Post by Lester Devinso » Tue, 12 Feb 2002 08:17:02

> Lester,

> Thanks for the warning post...

> I almost went and installed their software.  I would rather not let them
> install something on my machine that could give them remote access to it.
> If they need information from me they can call me.

> All I did was take the information they sent me and set up my new mail
> account with it in outlook, since I had already reconfigured my machine.
> Everything was working and I don't want to take the chance of letting them
> blow it up again.

> Here is some information on how to remove that logo...

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q176713

Thanks - they had also changed the logo in Outlook Express.

Quote:

> Have you had any luck removing that service they installed?

I manually removed it and all traces. I did a simple add/remove programs on
the Broadjump foundation and that was uneventful and successful too. Looks
like the infection was reversible :)

Post by Lester Devinso » Tue, 12 Feb 2002 08:17:05

> Some more for you Lester...

> Just in case Comcast changed the titlebar in IE as well...

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q176497

> jg

Mucho gracias!!! That did the trick!

(the logo changed

Post by Lester Devinso » Tue, 12 Feb 2002 08:28:04

> >I have promptly removed all the software and deleted directories it
created.
> >What I'm unable to do, so far, is remote the changes made to IE. This
pisses
> >me off. I did not invite such changes and I should have known better.
Call
> >it a weak moment. But it was stupid.

> >Comcast - I want my little blue E back!

> Lester thanks for posting the info. See if this post from Alan Edwards
helps
> on removing their branding.

> Subject: Re: How can I remove "branding" of IE and OE by defunct ISP?
> Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 14:29:06 +1000

> Title bar
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q176/4/97.asp

> If Freewwweb used another key then try this:
> (or use the information to do it manually)

> Make up a file from the lines below. Copy into a file called fix.reg
> which should be created in Notepad. Do not retype, copy in case of
> errors. The 1st line in the file is  the line REGEDIT4
> Make sure your mail or news reader does not add any spaces to the end
> of a line.
> The last line must be blank.
> Doubleclick fix.reg

> -----copy below this line fix.reg------------
> REGEDIT4
> ;
> ; Registry Update File to remove IE Branding
> ;
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
> "BigBitmap"="Default"
> "SmallBitmap"="Default"
> "Window Title"="Microsoft Internet Explorer"
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar]
> "BrandBitmap"="Default"
> "SmBrandBitmap"="Default"
> "BigBitmap"="Default"
> "SmallBitmap"="Default"
> "Window Title"="Microsoft Internet Explorer"
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
> "Window Title"="Microsoft Internet Explorer"

> ---- end file above here

> Customizing/Restoring OE5 Window Title

> You can change the title text of Outlook Express. To do this, go to
> the Registry Editor, and then go to the key HKEY_CURRENT_
> USER\Identities. After that, you should see 1 or more cryptic codes.
> Click on each or all of them to see which one says "Main Identity" on
> the right side. After that, expand it to Software\Microsoft\Outlook
> Express\5.0 and change "WindowTitle" to what you want it to be,
> probably just "Outlook Express."

> Sorry, because the "cryptic codes" vary per PC, there is no automatic
> change.

This has worked perfectly - I did discover some additional infestation in
the key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions

There are 3 mappings to Comcast.net - removing them doesn't hurt anything
and I don't see any visible effect - but I just feel better knowing they are
gone.

1. Comcast Web Based "Support" Problem --- Do Not Install Any Software from Comcast!!!!!!

I made the mistake of allowing Comcast to install their web based support
software on my PC and it created major problems. During a boot of Windows
98SE the items loaded into the system tray would stop loading and then the
system tray would be emptied. CONTROL/ALT/DELETE would show "Tgcmd (Not
responding)".    Tgcmd.* are the Comcast support files installed into the
Program Files/support.com folder. Removing Comcast Support using Windows
ADD/REMOVE seemed to work but left 58 errors in the Registry that
fortunately Norton WinDoctor was able to fix. I wasted an hour solving this
one.

The bottom line: Do Not Install Any Software from Comcast!!!!!!
:<(( Art

--
To reply to me directly, delete the "nospam_" from the email address.

2. Problem installing patch on HP-UX 11.00

3. Fed up with Comcast (MI) DO NOT INSTALL THEIR CONVERSION SOFTWARE!

4. USR 28.8 DSVD upgraded to 33.6!

5. For fun, I installed comcast software...

6. A2300 and Amiga 3000

7. What is Comcast's software they want us to install for e-mail?

8. Why browsing My Network Places takes 30 seconds?

9. LAT: What is it & why is it bothering me?

10. Cardinal upgrade-why bother

11. Verizon"Switched 56" service? Why Bother?

12. Invasion of the Phone Snatchers (Why Bother With $0.25)

13. Why bother ISDN ???