Considering Comcast internet service - technical questions

Considering Comcast internet service - technical questions

Post by dan mcgr » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 22:50:20

I've been a DSL user for years and love it.  I've just moved and
realized that I only still have POTS phone service so I can have DSL.
All ISPs say they will not give me a DSL w/o phone service so I'm
considering ComCast cable modem service.

-Is ComCast known to block any incoming or outgoing ports?  I'm going
to need MS Terminal Services, SMTP, FTP, HTTP, and SSH.

-Does ComCast have any policy restrictions against running services
such as the above?

-Any general frustration folks have had regarding ComCast service?

I'm in downtown ATlanta.

Thanks!

-dan

Post by Johan Kullsta » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 02:48:42

> I've been a DSL user for years and love it.  I've just moved and
> realized that I only still have POTS phone service so I can have DSL.
> All ISPs say they will not give me a DSL w/o phone service so I'm
> considering ComCast cable modem service.

> -Is ComCast known to block any incoming or outgoing ports?

I think they block whatever it is windows uses for filesystem shares,
but not anything else.  You can have this block removed by explicitly
requesting it gone (at least you used to back when it was mediaone).

Quote:> I'm going
> to need MS Terminal Services, SMTP, FTP, HTTP, and SSH.

SMTP, FTP, HTTP and SSH are unblocked.

Quote:> -Does ComCast have any policy restrictions against running services
> such as the above?

By policy, servers are not allowed.  Identd servers seem to be OK
(despite policy) and any servers with insubstatial use seem to be
overlooked.  The terms of service of DSL are usually much better than
cable and comcast ToS aren't too far from the usual.

Quote:> -Any general frustration folks have had regarding ComCast service?

--

Considering Comcast internet service - technical questions

Post by sackra » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 06:33:21

Well, connecting to just about _any_ Website takes a full minute or longer.
That certainly aggrivates the h... out of me.  In a head to head contest my
original (c. 1987) WebTv is as fast or faster.  Sheesh.

Quote:> I've been a DSL user for years and love it.  I've just moved and
> realized that I only still have POTS phone service so I can have DSL.
> All ISPs say they will not give me a DSL w/o phone service so I'm
> considering ComCast cable modem service.

> -Is ComCast known to block any incoming or outgoing ports?  I'm going
> to need MS Terminal Services, SMTP, FTP, HTTP, and SSH.

> -Does ComCast have any policy restrictions against running services
> such as the above?

> -Any general frustration folks have had regarding ComCast service?

> I'm in downtown ATlanta.

> Thanks!

> -dan

Considering Comcast internet service - technical questions

Post by Mark » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 09:14:07

Dan:

I live in Midtown Atlanta and have a cable modem with Comcast.  In my
experience, Comcast only bocks port 80 for incoming WWW.  However, 443 for
secure WWW seems to be open.  SMTP is not blocked either.  But, servers are
against the rules when you have a cable modem.  Low volume personal servers
seem to be tolerated, but only just.

Mark

Quote:> I've been a DSL user for years and love it.  I've just moved and
> realized that I only still have POTS phone service so I can have DSL.
> All ISPs say they will not give me a DSL w/o phone service so I'm
> considering ComCast cable modem service.

> -Is ComCast known to block any incoming or outgoing ports?  I'm going
> to need MS Terminal Services, SMTP, FTP, HTTP, and SSH.

> -Does ComCast have any policy restrictions against running services
> such as the above?

> -Any general frustration folks have had regarding ComCast service?

> I'm in downtown ATlanta.

> Thanks!

> -dan

1. Some newbie questions re Comcast high-speed internet service

Hello

I just accepted Comcast's $21.95 ( plus $3 for leasing their cable modem)
for 5 months offer. Their technician is scheduled to come in for the
basic installation this coming Wednesday.

I have a Dell Dimension desktop running Win2K and a Toshiba Tecra laptop,
also running Win2K. Both machines have NIC cards.

The distance of the cable outlet is about 20 feet from where my desktop
is.  Whenever I use my laptop at home, I could use it within 5 - 6 feet
from the cable outlet.

I have been thinking about purchasing the following :

1. A wireless router that would connect to the cable modem that I'm
leasing from Comcast
2. A wireless USB adapter that I could connect to either my desktop or my
laptop depending on which I am using.

My questions :

1. Does the configuration I am thinking of make sense ? What other
configurations are possible ?
2. Are there specific brands/models that work well with Comcast cable
modems ?
3. Are there brands/models that are good regardless of ISP equipment (in
case I need to switch from Comcast in the near future) ?
4. I read some posts on Usenet where people were talking about Comcast
planning to discontinue their usenet servers. Is this true ? Could
someone post a link to this story ?
5. Are there any risks associated with asking for a basic versus premium
installation ? I am fairly computer literate but my concern is linked to
my ability of being able to determine if a fault is in Comcast's service
or my equipment/software

TIA

2. French meeting & transport strike

3. Considering Cogeco Internet Service? Read this

4. Just Starting - Need Advice

5. One technical and one less technical question

6. JAVA MODE for Emacs

7. AS5200 performance (was: One technical and one less technical question)

8. What is the cause of these clicks?

9. Comcast High-Speed Internet Enhances Comcast.net to Become

10. Comcast "Rust" or Comcast "Tarnish" service?

11. Technical Questions regarding dsl and Service Providers