RENT OR BUY CABLE MODEM

Post by NEIL STO » Sun, 02 Feb 2003 05:30:39

I was paying $6.00 a month to rent a cable modem from ATT, and I found the
same unit I was renting for $38.00 to buy and I am now saving $72.00 a
year.  I thought I would pass this info along to others.
http://home.attbi.com/~ngstone is where you can get them for that price.
Good Luck

-----
Cable Modem FAQ: http://www.cablemodemhelp.com
-----

RENT OR BUY CABLE MODEM

Post by Basic Bo » Sun, 02 Feb 2003 12:09:25

Quote:> I was paying $6.00 a month to rent a cable modem from ATT, and I found the
> same unit I was renting for $38.00 to buy and I am now saving $72.00 a
> year.  I thought I would pass this info along to others.
> http://home.attbi.com/~ngstone is where you can get them for that price.
> Good Luck

Condolences on your POS RCA cable modem. Hope it lasts for six months.

Comcast gives us a Terayon or whatever used junk they have in the back of
the truck. I bought a Motorola SB4100 so I have some control over what
hardware I have. It has a nice diagnostic webpage and this nifty feature of
allowing TFTP access over the LAN port (for educational purposes only).

--
Basic Bob

the g's are silent

RENT OR BUY CABLE MODEM

Post by BuDMa » Sun, 02 Feb 2003 16:16:19

>> I was paying $6.00 a month to rent a cable modem from ATT, and I
>> found the same unit I was renting for $38.00 to buy and I am now
>> saving $72.00 a year.  I thought I would pass this info along to
>> others. http://home.attbi.com/~ngstone is where you can get them for
>> that price. Good Luck

> Condolences on your POS RCA cable modem. Hope it lasts for six months.

> Comcast gives us a Terayon or whatever used junk they have in the back
> of the truck. I bought a Motorola SB4100 so I have some control over
> what hardware I have. It has a nice diagnostic webpage and this nifty
> feature of allowing TFTP access over the LAN port (for educational
> purposes only).

 Yeah right :)

--
BuDMaN

RENT OR BUY CABLE MODEM

Post by jt.. » Wed, 05 Feb 2003 05:07:30

: I was paying $6.00 a month to rent a cable modem from ATT, and I found the
: same unit I was renting for $38.00 to buy and I am now saving $72.00 a
: year.  I thought I would pass this info along to others.

$38's cheap.  My rentals $1/month, tho.  If someone gave me a modem,
I probably wouldn't go to the trouble of changing it because the
cable company would probably tell me I'm no longer eligible for this
particular package.  Heck, I had to go pick up another digital
receiver when I signed up.  No use for it but it was part of the
package.

The cable company must have been desperate for new customers when I
called that day.  :)

Jamie

1. Buying vs Renting Cable Modem With Comcast

I always thought that it was a NO-BRAINER that it was better to buy a cable
modem rather than renting from Comcast. Since Comcast charges about $5 to
$10 dollars for renting the modem, I decided to buy one, in fact, the exact
same one they were renting to me, an SB3100 by General Instruments, though
it is probably Motorola by now. I bought the SB3100 thru Ebay. Well, a year
and half has elapsed and everything has been good until last week when I
lost my connection and it turns out that my cable modem died, or at least
I'm told that it died. Now, here's where buying became a disadvantage
because

1) If a Comcast technician comes out and determines that it is the cable
modem that has died and since I own the modem, they are supposedly going to
charge me $49.95 for the diagnosis. If I was renting the modem, NO CHARGE.

2) If in fact the cable modem has died, I now have to shell out the money to
buy a new cable modem while if it were rented, Comcast would replace it NO
CHARGE.

Though I'm still convinced that buying is the best option, it may not seem
that way when the cable modem dies on you. This is probably a rare occurence
and so for most people who have bought their own and have had no problems,
there was no doubt about the decision. On the other hand, renting the modem
could be looked at an insurance against failure of the said equipment. What
do you guys think?

2. CF Memory

3. Buy or Rent a Cable Modem

4. Acorn & Archimdes logos

5. Buying vs. renting DOCSIS cable modem

6. Installing dual boot with WIN-95?

7. Cable modem buy or rent

8. Problems with PSR400 keyboard

9. Cable modem buy or rent]