Another Rough Day in Paradise

Post by John Lundgre » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Well, it's been a rough day.  I guess I shouldn't say that, because it
seems like every day's a rough one in the summertime.  Just too many
things happening.

Like it's remodeling time.  Whatever changes in construction or remodel
that were held off during classtime are now going on during summer
break.
So generally, all hell breaks loose when things start to change.  Walls
start disappearing and popping up overnight.

Gee, I pulled off the cover of a soda straw, and stuck it into the top
of the drink, and the silly paper cup has www.subway.com on it.  I like
their samwiches but I can't see what would be interesting on their web
site.

We gotta wrap up the big project by the end of the month, which is the
end of the fiscal year.  All the bills have to be charged to this year's
budget.  So there's a lot of pressure to get things done.

Last week we brought up a PBX, a small system with 20 lines, at our new
site.  Everything was uneventful, which was the way it's supposed to
be.  The data wiring was installed with the voice, so it's done, but we
will still have to install the hubs, router and patch cords, and get the
T-1 working to the main campus.  Gee, the nice thing about data jacks is
that it doesn't make any diff what port on the hub it's plugged into, it
works.  With the voice, if you don't get it right, someone is getting
someone else's calls.  So what are they complaining about - they got a
working phone. :-P

I gotta work with Pac Hell tomorrow to get service restored to our
baseball dugout.  Yeah, baseball dugout.  It (used to have) a POTS line
running to it from across the street.  But when the underground conduits
got crushed, it went out.  So we got the splicing crew to get us service
back under the street, and we were looking for the other end of the
dugout's phone line, but I couldn't trace it.  I finally got one of the
guys on the crew to show me where the other end was.  They spliced a new
50 pair cable and terminated 25 pair, leaving the other 25 rolled up in
a wad next to the block.  Well, the dugout line was in the wad of wires
that hadn't been punched down.  DUH, no wonder I couldn't find them.

Like I said, it's been a rough day.

--
Please remove NO and SPAM from my email addr to reply.

Read what the FTC has to say about Junk Email at URL
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/online/inbox.htm