Buying a Cable Modem

Post by Aaron Warnk » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 21:32:36

I have Charter High Speed Cable service in Wisconsin.  They charge a $5 per
month rental fee for using their modem (thieves).  I was wondering:

1. If any cable modem would be compatible with Charter's service?  If not,
how do I know which modem to use?

2.  What my best bet for a cable modem would be (Brand/Model)?

3.  Approximately how much a cable modem will cost?

4.  Where is the best place to purchase a cable modem?

Sorry if this has been posted before, I searched previous posts and I did
not find anything.

Thanks for your help,
Aaron

Buying a Cable Modem

Post by Rob Jone » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 22:52:20

I would recommend either Toshiba or Motorola. I just bought a Motorola
SB5100. DOCSIS 2.0

--rj

> I have Charter High Speed Cable service in Wisconsin.  They charge a $5
per
> month rental fee for using their modem (thieves).  I was wondering:

> 1. If any cable modem would be compatible with Charter's service?  If not,
> how do I know which modem to use?

> 2.  What my best bet for a cable modem would be (Brand/Model)?

> 3.  Approximately how much a cable modem will cost?

> 4.  Where is the best place to purchase a cable modem?

> Sorry if this has been posted before, I searched previous posts and I did
> not find anything.

> Thanks for your help,
> Aaron

Buying a Cable Modem

Post by $Bil » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 23:07:34

> I have Charter High Speed Cable service in Wisconsin.  They charge a $5 per
> month rental fee for using their modem (thieves).  I was wondering:

> 1. If any cable modem would be compatible with Charter's service?  If not,
> how do I know which modem to use?

They should have a web page telling you what modems they support.
If not call them to make sure.

Quote:> 2.  What my best bet for a cable modem would be (Brand/Model)?

I would go for the Motorola 5100 if supported.

Quote:> 3.  Approximately how much a cable modem will cost?

Free with startup - if you're already started, not sure how much
of the rebates are from startup (maybe $40 max).

Quote:> 4.  Where is the best place to purchase a cable modem?

I think Circuit City has the free (after rebates) one.  Also check
Best Buy and CompUSA to make sure.

Buying a Cable Modem

Post by Tim A » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 00:31:22

You call the cable company thieves for making you rent something they spent
money on and you are borrowing from them?  I guess the trailor park you are
living in are thieves for making you lease the space your Winnebago is
parked in? Or the phone company are thieves for making you pay a monthly fee
to have phone service? Geez, I didn't realize capitolism was filled with so
many lawbreakers.

> I have Charter High Speed Cable service in Wisconsin.  They charge a $5
per
> month rental fee for using their modem (thieves).  I was wondering:

> 1. If any cable modem would be compatible with Charter's service?  If not,
> how do I know which modem to use?

> 2.  What my best bet for a cable modem would be (Brand/Model)?

> 3.  Approximately how much a cable modem will cost?

> 4.  Where is the best place to purchase a cable modem?

> Sorry if this has been posted before, I searched previous posts and I did
> not find anything.

> Thanks for your help,
> Aaron

Buying a Cable Modem

Post by Ron Hunte » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 01:14:10

> I have Charter High Speed Cable service in Wisconsin.  They charge a $5 per
> month rental fee for using their modem (thieves).  I was wondering:

> 1. If any cable modem would be compatible with Charter's service?  If not,
> how do I know which modem to use?

> 2.  What my best bet for a cable modem would be (Brand/Model)?

> 3.  Approximately how much a cable modem will cost?

> 4.  Where is the best place to purchase a cable modem?

> Sorry if this has been posted before, I searched previous posts and I did
> not find anything.

> Thanks for your help,
> Aaron

AAron,
   First, $5 a month rental for a cable modem is not only not theft, it
is a VERY good deal, considering that if something goes wrong with it,
they will bring out a new one, at no charge, and the one here is number
7 in about 5 years.

As for which modem, check with your local office and ask for an approved
list.

You should expect to pay from $75 to $150 for a cable modem, depending
on the store, and the brand you buy.

I don't know that there is a 'best' place, just whatever electronic
store in your area carries them, preferably one with a choice of types
and styles.  Make sure you READ the warranty as many of them are more
'disclaimer' than warranty.

Buying a Cable Modem

Post by Larr » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 01:25:34

As with any cable company looking for something to blame besides
themselves, if YOU own the modem everything wrong with the service is
ALWAYS your fault, even if the entire city has no internet service
because the main building was destroyed by a tornado.

"You'll have to have your modem fixed by your modem company", she'll
snap once she figures out you own the modem and are not paying the
ransom.  "But, the building burned down and I was just reporting it.",
you retort.  "I'm sorry, sir, we can't help you get your modem fixed."

(click)

Problem solved....trouble ticket cancelled.

>I have Charter High Speed Cable service in Wisconsin.  They charge a $5 per
>month rental fee for using their modem (thieves).  I was wondering:

>1. If any cable modem would be compatible with Charter's service?  If not,
>how do I know which modem to use?

>2.  What my best bet for a cable modem would be (Brand/Model)?

>3.  Approximately how much a cable modem will cost?

>4.  Where is the best place to purchase a cable modem?

>Sorry if this has been posted before, I searched previous posts and I did
>not find anything.

>Thanks for your help,
>Aaron

Larry

Extremely intelligent life must exist in the universe.
You can tell because they never tried to contact us.

Buying a Cable Modem

girls and boys, do yourself a favor and buy at www.newegg.com
got me a Motorola SB5100 (DOCSIS 2.0) for 76 smacks(total cost)  its all
beautiful.

--hell yea!

Post by ftran99 » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 06:19:16

> I have Charter High Speed Cable service in Wisconsin.  They charge a $5
per
> month rental fee for using their modem (thieves).  I was wondering:

> 1. If any cable modem would be compatible with Charter's service?  If not,
> how do I know which modem to use?

> 2.  What my best bet for a cable modem would be (Brand/Model)?

> 3.  Approximately how much a cable modem will cost?

> 4.  Where is the best place to purchase a cable modem?

> Sorry if this has been posted before, I searched previous posts and I did
> not find anything.

> Thanks for your help,
> Aaron

You should check the Best Buy & Circuit City ads of your Sunday paper.
Everyone once in awhile they will have a deal on cable modems that they
practically give away after all the rebates are factored in.

Buying a Cable Modem

Post by Rod Smi » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 07:05:03

Quote:

> You should check the Best Buy & Circuit City ads of your Sunday paper.
> Everyone once in awhile they will have a deal on cable modems that they
> practically give away after all the rebates are factored in.

FWIW, a useful Web site for checking on local sales is
http://www.salescircular.com. They maintain a database of the sales
offerred by about a dozen B&M retailers. Many of these involve rebates,
though.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com

Buying a Cable Modem

Post by Jerr » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 12:44:16

Hey Aaron,
Two reasons NOT to own your modem:

Ron Hunter is correct, YOUR modem....YOUR warranty/replacement
responsibility. Of course, if yours dies, then Cable Co. will install theirs
until you can replace yours. What a headache!

Cable Co. may soon be upgrading the modem if they add Voice over IP (phone
service) to the system. If you want the VoIP, then you will have your modem
up for sale. And, after they roll out VoIP in your area, you might own a
worthless modem.
Just a thought.
VoIP comes to Iowa 4th Q.

> I have Charter High Speed Cable service in Wisconsin.  They charge a $5
per
> month rental fee for using their modem (thieves).  I was wondering:

> 1. If any cable modem would be compatible with Charter's service?  If not,
> how do I know which modem to use?

> 2.  What my best bet for a cable modem would be (Brand/Model)?

> 3.  Approximately how much a cable modem will cost?

> 4.  Where is the best place to purchase a cable modem?

> Sorry if this has been posted before, I searched previous posts and I did
> not find anything.

> Thanks for your help,
> Aaron

Buying a Cable Modem

Post by SmokinJoeBubble » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 14:32:25

Its a shame that in most markets Charter doesn't even support the 5100.
They still can't provision it right.  I think the Charter techs should go to
school.  Don't get the 5100 unless you can guarantee it will work on the
system.  Here Charter can't get it working.

> girls and boys, do yourself a favor and buy at www.newegg.com
> got me a Motorola SB5100 (DOCSIS 2.0) for 76 smacks(total cost)  its all
> beautiful.

> --hell yea!

> > As with any cable company looking for something to blame besides
> > themselves, if YOU own the modem everything wrong with the service is
> > ALWAYS your fault, even if the entire city has no internet service
> > because the main building was destroyed by a tornado.

> > "You'll have to have your modem fixed by your modem company", she'll
> > snap once she figures out you own the modem and are not paying the
> > ransom.  "But, the building burned down and I was just reporting it.",
> > you retort.  "I'm sorry, sir, we can't help you get your modem fixed."

> > (click)

> > Problem solved....trouble ticket cancelled.

> > >I have Charter High Speed Cable service in Wisconsin.  They charge a $5
> per
> > >month rental fee for using their modem (thieves).  I was wondering:

> > >1. If any cable modem would be compatible with Charter's service?  If
> not,
> > >how do I know which modem to use?

> > >2.  What my best bet for a cable modem would be (Brand/Model)?

> > >3.  Approximately how much a cable modem will cost?

> > >4.  Where is the best place to purchase a cable modem?

> > >Sorry if this has been posted before, I searched previous posts and I
did
> > >not find anything.

> > >Thanks for your help,
> > >Aaron

> > Larry

> > Extremely intelligent life must exist in the universe.
> > You can tell because they never tried to contact us.

Buying a Cable Modem

Post by Rob Jone » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 00:13:31

my cable system (not a major cable system) has supported it for about 2
months now(as soon as it became available to cable providers). no problems
at all.

--rj

> Its a shame that in most markets Charter doesn't even support the 5100.
> They still can't provision it right.  I think the Charter techs should go
> school.  Don't get the 5100 unless you can guarantee it will work on the
> system.  Here Charter can't get it working.

> > girls and boys, do yourself a favor and buy at www.newegg.com
> > got me a Motorola SB5100 (DOCSIS 2.0) for 76 smacks(total cost)  its all
> > beautiful.

> > --hell yea!

> > > As with any cable company looking for something to blame besides
> > > themselves, if YOU own the modem everything wrong with the service is
> > > ALWAYS your fault, even if the entire city has no internet service
> > > because the main building was destroyed by a tornado.

> > > "You'll have to have your modem fixed by your modem company", she'll
> > > snap once she figures out you own the modem and are not paying the
> > > ransom.  "But, the building burned down and I was just reporting it.",
> > > you retort.  "I'm sorry, sir, we can't help you get your modem fixed."

> > > (click)

> > > Problem solved....trouble ticket cancelled.

> > per

> > not,

> did

> > > Larry

> > > Extremely intelligent life must exist in the universe.
> > > You can tell because they never tried to contact us.

Buying a Cable Modem

Post by ftran99 » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 06:40:05

Quote:> Hey Aaron,
> Two reasons NOT to own your modem:

I know this buy vs rent debate has gone on forever, but put me in the camp
in favor of ownership
Quote:> Ron Hunter is correct, YOUR modem....YOUR warranty/replacement
> responsibility. Of course, if yours dies, then Cable Co. will install
theirs
> until you can replace yours. What a headache!

It may be true that if one's modem should break down it would be easier to
have the Cable Co. replace it if it is their own.  However, in reality I've
being following this NG for a couple of years and lets face it this NG isn't
flooded with people who own their modems constantly complaining about theirs
being broken. So the truth is if you own your own modem, the likelyhood of
it breaking down isn't that great.  If in some case my Toshiba does break
down, I still have about another three years left on the warranty so it
won't cost me anything to have it replaced.
With the money I saved by not renting, my modem is now paid off.
Quote:> Cable Co. may soon be upgrading the modem if they add Voice over IP (phone
> service) to the system. If you want the VoIP, then you will have your
modem
> up for sale. And, after they roll out VoIP in your area, you might own a
> worthless modem.
> Just a thought.
> VoIP comes to Iowa 4th Q.

Let's see what else have we got coming from cable? Docsis 2? Fiber to Home?
The fact is many service providers are in financial dire straits so don't
except them to spend huge amounts of money on upgrades anytime in the near
future.
Anyhow in conclusion I guess it all boils down to your prespective.  If you
want to save money in the long run and aren't worried about something
happening to your modem then owning is for you.  If on the other hand you
want peace of mind and are worried that something will go wrong then renting
is for you.

> > I have Charter High Speed Cable service in Wisconsin.  They charge a $5
> per
> > month rental fee for using their modem (thieves).  I was wondering:

> > 1. If any cable modem would be compatible with Charter's service?  If
not,
> > how do I know which modem to use?

> > 2.  What my best bet for a cable modem would be (Brand/Model)?

> > 3.  Approximately how much a cable modem will cost?

> > 4.  Where is the best place to purchase a cable modem?

> > Sorry if this has been posted before, I searched previous posts and I
did
> > not find anything.

> > Thanks for your help,
> > Aaron

Buying a Cable Modem

Post by KC2KS » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 14:54:11

Why do you need to buy a new modem?  I still use the 4100.

> Hey Aaron,
> Two reasons NOT to own your modem:

> Ron Hunter is correct, YOUR modem....YOUR warranty/replacement
> responsibility. Of course, if yours dies, then Cable Co. will install
theirs
> until you can replace yours. What a headache!

> Cable Co. may soon be upgrading the modem if they add Voice over IP (phone
> service) to the system. If you want the VoIP, then you will have your
modem
> up for sale. And, after they roll out VoIP in your area, you might own a
> worthless modem.
> Just a thought.
> VoIP comes to Iowa 4th Q.

> > I have Charter High Speed Cable service in Wisconsin.  They charge a $5
> per
> > month rental fee for using their modem (thieves).  I was wondering:

> > 1. If any cable modem would be compatible with Charter's service?  If
not,
> > how do I know which modem to use?

> > 2.  What my best bet for a cable modem would be (Brand/Model)?

> > 3.  Approximately how much a cable modem will cost?

> > 4.  Where is the best place to purchase a cable modem?

> > Sorry if this has been posted before, I searched previous posts and I
did
> > not find anything.

> > Thanks for your help,
> > Aaron

Buying a Cable Modem

Post by Henr » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 16:47:07

There is a Toshiba PCX1100 cable modem for sale on www.ebay.com with a
current bid of $10 (7/10/03).  Search for item # 3422650792