cable modem connection to Linux

Post by Gill offic » Mon, 29 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi all.

installed Linux (Red Hat 5.0), and have a few problems:

        1)  I cannot "talk" to the Internet through my cable modem.  I have
tried DHCP and have tried using a fixed IP address.  Perhaps one of my
settings is wrong, or I am capitalized where I should not be...  I
could, however, connect the Linux box to my NT network with DHCP, so go
figure!

        2)  When I startup X-Windows, I cannot type inside a shell box.  This
baffles me.

Any thoughts appreciated.

John
please reply to newsgroup !

Post by Andy Tsa » Mon, 29 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Hi all.

> installed Linux (Red Hat 5.0), and have a few problems:

>         1)  I cannot "talk" to the Internet through my cable modem.  I have
> tried DHCP and have tried using a fixed IP address.  Perhaps one of my
> settings is wrong, or I am capitalized where I should not be...  I
> could, however, connect the Linux box to my NT network with DHCP, so go
> figure!

>         2)  When I startup X-Windows, I cannot type inside a shell box.  This
> baffles me.

> Any thoughts appreciated.

> John
> please reply to newsgroup !

  don't exactly pictured your setup properly... you mean you are using 2 network
cards on one system?

me assume you mean you have 2 cards; have you manually adding the line to
/etc/conf.modules?  I am using 2 network cards here so I remembered to do so
(one is cable modem, the other internal network)

in that case, enable the hardware driver in /etc/conf.modules file and using
"netcfg" an X program to add a second network interface to talk to your newly
enabled driiver.

Andy

cable modem connection to Linux

Post by Dave Macolin » Mon, 29 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Check the Cable-Modem mini how-to.  There are many flavors of providers using
different achitectures.  I had a problem  and it required the rrclientd package
to work properly.  My provider, Cablevision of Long Island uses kerberos for
authentication before their service becomes available.

There are a few other providers that require tweaking.  Its not as easy as
running dhcpcd in most cases.  It was a good two day battle until I decided to
RTFM.

Anyway good luck!
-davemac

> Hi all.

> installed Linux (Red Hat 5.0), and have a few problems:

>         1)  I cannot "talk" to the Internet through my cable modem.  I have
> tried DHCP and have tried using a fixed IP address.  Perhaps one of my
> settings is wrong, or I am capitalized where I should not be...  I
> could, however, connect the Linux box to my NT network with DHCP, so go
> figure!

>         2)  When I startup X-Windows, I cannot type inside a shell box.  This
> baffles me.

> Any thoughts appreciated.

> John
> please reply to newsgroup !

cable modem connection to Linux

Post by Gill offic » Mon, 29 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Check the Cable-Modem mini how-to.  There are many flavors of providers using
> different achitectures.  I had a problem  and it required the rrclientd package
> to work properly.  My provider, Cablevision of Long Island uses kerberos for
> authentication before their service becomes available.

> There are a few other providers that require tweaking.  Its not as easy as
> running dhcpcd in most cases.  It was a good two day battle until I decided to

Thanks.

I suppose the HOW TOs are found at the Red Hat site ?  I have them on my
CD, but cannot access them from Win95, and do not know how to access
from Linux.

John

Post by Arun Sharm » Mon, 29 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Hi all.

> installed Linux (Red Hat 5.0), and have a few problems:

Checkout athome.users-unix.

        -Arun

Check out http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/

--

cable modem connection to Linux

Post by Scott Zuk » Wed, 01 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I've recently (within the last week) got my RH 5.1 install up and going with my
cable modem.  The biggest thing I ran into was using Xwindows to configure my
network, I finally just used the Red Hat installation scripts.  Xwindows kept
changing my assigned gateway, etc, (very strange).

> Hi all.

> installed Linux (Red Hat 5.0), and have a few problems:

>         1)  I cannot "talk" to the Internet through my cable modem.  I have
> tried DHCP and have tried using a fixed IP address.  Perhaps one of my
> settings is wrong, or I am capitalized where I should not be...  I
> could, however, connect the Linux box to my NT network with DHCP, so go
> figure!

>         2)  When I startup X-Windows, I cannot type inside a shell box.  This
> baffles me.

> Any thoughts appreciated.

> John
> please reply to newsgroup !

1. cable modem and linux ..... loosing connection

First thanks to all ya guys out there the helped med with
my 3c509b problem. Finally the card works.

I got a new problem now. I hocked up my linux box to the
cable modem and everything worked great yesterday. No problems
at all. But today I having problems. I start linux connect
to the internet via my cable modem and everything work great.. for
about 5 minutes then i loose the connection. I try to ping
the IP address and it just hangs there. I reboot login and
start netscape and it works. 5 minutes later I losses the connection
again.. What's going on there. How come it worked great yesterday
and not today. Im using redhat 5.0..

jens

2. Thanks for help selecting a sound card!

3. Win95 connection to Linux through null modem cable

4. Call for Papers IJFCS

5. Linux<->Linux Null Modem Connection

6. Ricoh MP9060 - Have You Had Problems ?

7. Cable modem and connection 2 another cable modem user

8. User name & password prompts

9. Running a SLIP or PPP connection over a serial cable (Win95 to Linux)

10. VNC Linux 56K modem and cable modem

11. How to connect 2 cable/DSL routers to share 2 internet connections (DSL + Cable modem)?

12. Cable connection for TV & Cable modem

13. Cable connection for cable modems