Cable modem and connection 2 another cable modem user

Cable modem and connection 2 another cable modem user

Post by <enigma.. » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hello-

    A friend and I are both on seperate cable modems and we are having
connection problems.  We connect absolutely fine to anything else, just
not to each other.  It does not matter how we are trying to connect
either, ex. icq, games, heat.net.  Also, we cannot ping each other.  He

(now att) tech ppl and they told me every answer in the book and many
seemed like it was MY fault... Reasons would lead anything from I not
knowing how to use the software (which I have used for years on my trusty
dialup modem), to one of my favorites, "Well we got you onto the net,
didn't we?"  I can connect with someone else on a cable modem (because
they are on a different wingate, subnet?) not more than a block from my
house, but not to my friend across the city.  If it is because we are on
the same subnet, is there any work arounds?  Maybe some sort of software
proxy program?  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...  (DSL? lol)

Thanks,

     Enigma

Post by Mark Borgerso » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Hello-

>     A friend and I are both on seperate cable modems and we are having
> connection problems.  We connect absolutely fine to anything else, just
> not to each other.  It does not matter how we are trying to connect
> either, ex. icq, games, heat.net.  Also, we cannot ping each other.  He

> (now att) tech ppl and they told me every answer in the book and many
> seemed like it was MY fault... Reasons would lead anything from I not
> knowing how to use the software (which I have used for years on my trusty
> dialup modem), to one of my favorites, "Well we got you onto the net,
> didn't we?"  I can connect with someone else on a cable modem (because
> they are on a different wingate, subnet?) not more than a block from my
> house, but not to my friend across the city.  If it is because we are on
> the same subnet, is there any work arounds?  Maybe some sort of software
> proxy program?  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...  (DSL? lol)

> Thanks,

>      Enigma

If either of you is using Wingate or any other software that acts as a
firewall, it may be blocking incoming packets to any or all ports.
You may have to statically enable certain incoming ports to play
many games---which act as peer-to-peer connections.  I had that
problem with Age of Kings.   I could connect to the MSN * zone
just fine, but I could not join games because my firewall rejected
incoming packets from the host.

Mark Borgerson

Post by Chris Phillip » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Hello-

>     A friend and I are both on seperate cable modems and we are having
> connection problems.  We connect absolutely fine to anything else, just
> not to each other.  It does not matter how we are trying to connect
> either, ex. icq, games, heat.net.  Also, we cannot ping each other.  He

> (now att) tech ppl and they told me every answer in the book and many
> seemed like it was MY fault... Reasons would lead anything from I not
> knowing how to use the software (which I have used for years on my trusty
> dialup modem), to one of my favorites, "Well we got you onto the net,
> didn't we?"  I can connect with someone else on a cable modem (because
> they are on a different wingate, subnet?) not more than a block from my
> house, but not to my friend across the city.  If it is because we are on
> the same subnet, is there any work arounds?  Maybe some sort of software
> proxy program?  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...  (DSL? lol)

You're sure that your friend has given you the correct IS and he is not
running a firewall?

--
Please remove "X" from email address to reply.