Fed up with Comcast (MI) DO NOT INSTALL THEIR CONVERSION SOFTWARE!

Fed up with Comcast (MI) DO NOT INSTALL THEIR CONVERSION SOFTWARE!

Post by Tim Stewa » Thu, 03 Jan 2002 22:24:38

I would like to urge anyone who has not installed Comcast's
"conversion" software to NOT INSTALL IT!  Matter of fact, take the CD
outside, douse it with gasoline, and set it afire.

That CD has got to be the worst piece of software I have seen in my
life.
-It does not update the server information correctly.  THIS IS THE
MAIN THING IT WAS SUPPOSED TO DO!
-Some background support utility is installed that periodically sends
info via the net.  There is no documentation as to what it is doing or
why it is there.
-It does not work on all systems.  If you have Windows XP, it will
wreak havoc on your PC.

The main purpose of the software seems to be to add a useless
background support utility, change your browser and Outlook titles
(adds "provided by Comcast" to the titles), and changes the animated
seek icon in your browser to a swirling C rather than a swirling globe
(with IE).

I don't know what they are trying to accomplish with this piece of
trash software other than pissing off most of their customers.  The
software seems to be written by a hacker type who thought it would be
more beneficial to change titles and icons rather than update the
network information (email) properly.  Not only that, they don't tell
you ANYWHERE what the server settings should be!

Tim

Fed up with Comcast (MI) DO NOT INSTALL THEIR CONVERSION SOFTWARE!

Post by joedetr.. » Fri, 04 Jan 2002 01:28:06

When I recieved the CD I laughed.  NO WAY was I going to install it.  I
guessed the pop3/smtp address's & was able to download the 1st "welcome to
comcast" email.

THATS NOT THE REAL PROBLEM.

The REAL PROBLEM is the HUGE downgrade in service.

DLs speeds dropped 40%
Uploads capped causing a loss of over 60%
Loss of USENET NEWSGROUPS
Loss of VPNs

No word as of yet on Mobile Access & FAX service that I used to have with
MediaOne.

regards
Joe S.
Comcast SUCKS

1. Comcast Web Based "Support" Problem --- Do Not Install Any Software from Comcast!!!!!!

I made the mistake of allowing Comcast to install their web based support
software on my PC and it created major problems. During a boot of Windows
98SE the items loaded into the system tray would stop loading and then the
system tray would be emptied. CONTROL/ALT/DELETE would show "Tgcmd (Not
responding)".    Tgcmd.* are the Comcast support files installed into the
Program Files/support.com folder. Removing Comcast Support using Windows
ADD/REMOVE seemed to work but left 58 errors in the Registry that
fortunately Norton WinDoctor was able to fix. I wasted an hour solving this
one.

The bottom line: Do Not Install Any Software from Comcast!!!!!!
:<(( Art

--
To reply to me directly, delete the "nospam_" from the email address.

2. Test-reply requested

3. Why not to bother with installing Comcast software

4. IPC woes...

5. For fun, I installed comcast software...

6. DOS LANMAN, SMARTDRV, caching

7. What is Comcast's software they want us to install for e-mail?

8. Drawing Tablet ?s

9. MI Comcast losing emails

10. Anybody Having Speed Issues With Comcast@home [White Lake, MI]

11. Comcast VP on WJR (760 AM) in MI @ 4p Today