Commscope, Berk Tek, Avaya, Belden- Any difference between brands

Commscope, Berk Tek, Avaya, Belden- Any difference between brands

Post by Alan » Sat, 02 Aug 2003 11:33:16

If I'm looking at the same rated cable , whether it be Cat6 or Cat5E,
is there any difference in regards to thw *quality* of network cable
between the different brands such as commscope, avaya, berk tek, etc.

Commscope, Berk Tek, Avaya, Belden- Any difference between brands

Post by Macy Hallo » Sat, 02 Aug 2003 20:18:24

+---------------

Quote:> If I'm looking at the same rated cable , whether it be Cat6 or Cat5E,
> is there any difference in regards to thw *quality* of network cable
> between the different brands such as commscope, avaya, berk tek, etc.

Using a brand name cable is good. You've mentioned some reputable mfr's.

In theory, Cat 6 offers better performance, especially on longer runs.

In practice, the quality of the installation and termination makes
more difference than who made the cable. Be sure to use the same
Cat rating jacks and patch panels as the cable. Don't kink or deform
the cable, "loose" staples are good. And follow best practices in
terminating the cable, followed by testing with a Fluke (or similar)
full scan certification grade test set (as opposed just DC continuity).
--
 Macy M. Hallock, Jr. - APK Net - Tel:216.241.7166 - Fax:216.241.7522

Post by Justin Ti » Sat, 02 Aug 2003 21:34:49

> If I'm looking at the same rated cable , whether it be Cat6 or Cat5E,
> is there any difference in regards to thw *quality* of network cable
> between the different brands such as commscope, avaya, berk tek, etc.

Each of the cable manufacturers have their discriminators that makes
their product different from the others.  The only advice you will get
that is worth the price you pay for it will be: "It depends on your
personal preference."

It all boils down to price/performance/customer requirements.

If the structure of the cable is such that it reduces the amount of
labor involved in installing, terminating and testing, then it may be
a better purchase decision than one with a more prevelant brand name.
As long as the cable meets the specifications for the job, is any
extra reported headroom over the standard worth any extra labor or
price involved?

Rodgers Platt

Commscope, Berk Tek, Avaya, Belden- Any difference between brands

Post by Alan » Sat, 02 Aug 2003 21:54:04

Labor's free. I'm doing it for my brother ;)

He's planning to stay there for awhile, so I'm figuring a little extra
overhead would be nice. Just trying to compare apples to apples.
For example, a reel of Avaya 1071 will cost me $120. On the other
hand, the 1081 will cost me $265. At 2X  + the cost for the material
is that extra headroom worth it.

I'm sure 1071 is more than sufficient for what his needs but ya never
know.......

Quote:

Post by Justin Ti » Sun, 03 Aug 2003 03:06:45

> Labor's free. I'm doing it for my brother ;)

Just because you are not charging for your time, the labor is not
free.  If it takes a few extra minutes to terminate a cable because of
its construction or you have to climb a ladder one or two times more
per pull because it doesn't slide as well as another brand, that is
your time you have spent.  In the commercial world, time is money.
The more money it costs in labor, the slimmer any margin.  If the
margin is slim to begin with, then the job is a loss rather than a
profit.

Quote:> He's planning to stay there for awhile, so I'm figuring a little extra
> overhead would be nice. Just trying to compare apples to apples.
> For example, a reel of Avaya 1071 will cost me $120. On the other
> hand, the 1081 will cost me $265. At 2X  + the cost for the material
> is that extra headroom worth it.

> I'm sure 1071 is more than sufficient for what his needs but ya never
> know.......

If the specifications for a Berk-Tek, Commscope, General, Mohawk cable
are the same as an Avaya and the cost difference is more than a few
dollars per box, then brand doesn't mean much.  But if you are paying
a premium for an average cable just because it has two or three levels
of markup before it gets to the distributor...

You may want to think of it as you would a computer.  Once you
determine your requirements, including possible network growth, and
you find you are going to be doing office automation type of work more
than heavily laden graphics applications, why pay for something you
will never use?  As most office installations have a life span of only
3 to 5 years, could the price differential have been invested in
something that would provide a better return on the investment?  But
then I can't deterimine the difference between your needs and your
wants.  The perceived incremental difference you experience in actual
use between a 1071 and a 1081 cable may not be worth doubling the
cost.

Commscope, Berk Tek, Avaya, Belden- Any difference between brands

Post by Alan » Sun, 03 Aug 2003 05:43:19

After reading this thread, I called Anixter and while pricing on Berk
Tek equivalents and what a difference.

Plenum 2081 is $665 and the Berk Tek equivalent was only $421 a spool.
I was planning to use all Avaya since the phone system is Avaya and I
had some Avaya Patch Panels extra. Got's me wondering if their jacs
are over priced.....

Quote:>If the specifications for a Berk-Tek, Commscope, General, Mohawk cable
>are the same as an Avaya and the cost difference is more than a few
>dollars per box, then brand doesn't mean much.  But if you are paying
>a premium for an average cable just because it has two or three levels
>of markup before it gets to the distributor...

Commscope, Berk Tek, Avaya, Belden- Any difference between brands

Post by JJ » Sun, 03 Aug 2003 06:21:13

You can get general cable for 50 a 1000 at home depot.
I like Icc panels and jacks they terminate easily and always test between 6
and 9 Db of headroom.

FWIW  I find Anixter to be the highest priced of the major suppliers.

> After reading this thread, I called Anixter and while pricing on Berk
> Tek equivalents and what a difference.

> Plenum 2081 is $665 and the Berk Tek equivalent was only $421 a spool.
> I was planning to use all Avaya since the phone system is Avaya and I
> had some Avaya Patch Panels extra. Got's me wondering if their jacs
> are over priced.....

> >If the specifications for a Berk-Tek, Commscope, General, Mohawk cable
> >are the same as an Avaya and the cost difference is more than a few
> >dollars per box, then brand doesn't mean much.  But if you are paying
> >a premium for an average cable just because it has two or three levels
> >of markup before it gets to the distributor...

Commscope, Berk Tek, Avaya, Belden- Any difference between brands

Post by Alan » Sun, 03 Aug 2003 06:26:16

The local HD doesn't carry Cat6.

Out here in the northeast (NYC), Anixter actually has better prices
than Graybar. Anywhere from $10 on the low end to $50 on the higher
grade stuff

>You can get general cable for 50 a 1000 at home depot.
>I like Icc panels and jacks they terminate easily and always test between 6
>and 9 Db of headroom.

>FWIW  I find Anixter to be the highest priced of the major suppliers.

Commscope, Berk Tek, Avaya, Belden- Any difference between brands

Post by Macy Hallo » Sun, 03 Aug 2003 19:46:00

+---------------

Quote:> Plenum 2081 is $665 and the Berk Tek equivalent was only $421 a spool.
> I was planning to use all Avaya since the phone system is Avaya and I
> had some Avaya Patch Panels extra. Got's me wondering if their jacs
> are over priced.....

You've been given some very good advice here from some unselfish
professionals.

Avaya marked items are expensive in the first place. And you are
probably buying your Avaya items through a retail channel and paying
full retail prices. It is solid product, but using Avaya cable or
jacks will not improve (or degrade) the function or maintainability of
the Avaya phone system.

Most pro's do have preferences for the type of cable and jacks they use,
but that's mostly out of convenience, habit or for factory certification
purposes.  I prefer Leviton jacks and Berk-tek or General cable, mostly
because I've been using these mfr's for years and I have established
good relationships with a couple of local wholesale distributors who
know what I want, give me decent wholesale prices and treat me well.

--
Macy Hallock - Tel+1.216.978.9344 Fax+1.509.275.7998 - Medina, Ohio USA

Commscope, Berk Tek, Avaya, Belden- Any difference between brands

Post by Alan » Sun, 03 Aug 2003 20:07:01

Hi Macy -

Any chance you can list how much you're paying for Lanmark 2000 and
Lanmark 350 PVC spools. I'm just curious to see how it compares to my
pricing.