Cat 5 Splice

Cat 5 Splice

Post by Steven Potte » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 03:17:14



I am currently working on an install at a local hotel, the electrical
contractor ran the wires, and now I am responsible for termination on
certification.  It seems that there are about 3 drops that the electrical
contractor leave a long enough service loop on in the wiring closet.  So I
am looking for some sort of solution to extend these three drops and still
have them pass certification.  I was thinking of using a 110 block, but
being only 3 drops it doesn't seem to make sense to do that.  Does anyone
have a recommendation for a splice/junction that would work well in this
situation.

Thanks

Steven Potter

 
 
 

Cat 5 Splice

Post by JJ » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 06:27:51


What is it 5 , 5E or 6
What are you going to test it with ?


Quote:> I am currently working on an install at a local hotel, the electrical
> contractor ran the wires, and now I am responsible for termination on
> certification.  It seems that there are about 3 drops that the electrical
> contractor leave a long enough service loop on in the wiring closet.  So I
> am looking for some sort of solution to extend these three drops and still
> have them pass certification.  I was thinking of using a 110 block, but
> being only 3 drops it doesn't seem to make sense to do that.  Does anyone
> have a recommendation for a splice/junction that would work well in this
> situation.

> Thanks

> Steven Potter


 
 
 

Cat 5 Splice

Post by Steven Potte » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 06:39:06


It needs to certify at cat5 100mhz.  I will be using a pentascanner to
test it.

Thanks

Steven Potter


> What is it 5 , 5E or 6
> What are you going to test it with ?



>> I am currently working on an install at a local hotel, the electrical
>> contractor ran the wires, and now I am responsible for termination on
>> certification.  It seems that there are about 3 drops that the electrical
>> contractor leave a long enough service loop on in the wiring closet.  So I
>> am looking for some sort of solution to extend these three drops and still
>> have them pass certification.  I was thinking of using a 110 block, but
>> being only 3 drops it doesn't seem to make sense to do that.  Does anyone
>> have a recommendation for a splice/junction that would work well in this
>> situation.

>> Thanks

>> Steven Potter

 
 
 

Cat 5 Splice

Post by James Knot » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 10:22:31



> Thanks

> Steven Potter

Any relation to Harry?  ;-)

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.


james.knott.

 
 
 

Cat 5 Splice

Post by J » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 10:44:07


oh...don't splice...
Im having a prob with a so-called network guy's splicing now...

Just run the links...it will be better in the long run..believe me...

jen
www.mp3.com/jentobey  

 
 
 

Cat 5 Splice

Post by Chris » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 17:20:16


Black Box do a "Cat5e Hard Wire Coupler" - cost about 3 for a single unit

Can't find how to get a URL direct to it but search for product code FAU963
on Blackbox.co.uk

HTH

Chris O
______________________________________________

Quote:> I am currently working on an install at a local hotel, the electrical
> contractor ran the wires, and now I am responsible for termination on
> certification.  It seems that there are about 3 drops that the electrical
> contractor leave a long enough service loop on in the wiring closet.  So I
> am looking for some sort of solution to extend these three drops and still
> have them pass certification.  I was thinking of using a 110 block, but
> being only 3 drops it doesn't seem to make sense to do that.  Does anyone
> have a recommendation for a splice/junction that would work well in this
> situation.

> Thanks

> Steven Potter

 
 
 

Cat 5 Splice

Post by JJ » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 21:52:38


If your not worried about the looks and the standard of being a home run,
just use some beans. I have a fluke dsp 4000 and have messed with splices in
my lab, as long as you keep the twist tight at the splice you will still
wind up with 7 to 8 DB of headroom,  if everything else was done correctly.


> It needs to certify at cat5 100mhz.  I will be using a pentascanner to
> test it.

> Thanks

> Steven Potter


> > What is it 5 , 5E or 6
> > What are you going to test it with ?



> >> I am currently working on an install at a local hotel, the electrical
> >> contractor ran the wires, and now I am responsible for termination on
> >> certification.  It seems that there are about 3 drops that the
electrical
> >> contractor leave a long enough service loop on in the wiring closet.
So I
> >> am looking for some sort of solution to extend these three drops and
still
> >> have them pass certification.  I was thinking of using a 110 block, but
> >> being only 3 drops it doesn't seem to make sense to do that.  Does
anyone
> >> have a recommendation for a splice/junction that would work well in
this
> >> situation.

> >> Thanks

> >> Steven Potter

 
 
 

Cat 5 Splice

Post by Steve Pinksto » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 07:38:43




Quote:>Black Box do a "Cat5e Hard Wire Coupler" - cost about 3 for a single unit

>Can't find how to get a URL direct to it but search for product code FAU963
>on Blackbox.co.uk

>HTH

>Chris O

Search for "coupler" at the blackbox web site (US or UK) and you'll
come up with some low-cost options, all using 568B wiring. I would not
feel too good about doing splices.

- steve

 
 
 

Cat 5 Splice

Post by Steven Potte » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 09:42:34


Those look really nice, but I'm having a little trouble finding where I
can get them on this side of the pond.

Steve


> Black Box do a "Cat5e Hard Wire Coupler" - cost about 3 for a single unit

> Can't find how to get a URL direct to it but search for product code FAU963
> on Blackbox.co.uk

> HTH

> Chris O
> ______________________________________________


>> I am currently working on an install at a local hotel, the electrical
>> contractor ran the wires, and now I am responsible for termination on
>> certification.  It seems that there are about 3 drops that the electrical
>> contractor leave a long enough service loop on in the wiring closet.  So I
>> am looking for some sort of solution to extend these three drops and still
>> have them pass certification.  I was thinking of using a 110 block, but
>> being only 3 drops it doesn't seem to make sense to do that.  Does anyone
>> have a recommendation for a splice/junction that would work well in this
>> situation.

>> Thanks

>> Steven Potter

 
 
 

Cat 5 Splice

Post by Chris » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:57:04


Steve,

Yes they are quite neat - I got some for making non standard cross wired
RJ45 cables

I'm sure Black Box operate over there as well - look up www.blackbox.comm or
use the Search button at
http://catalog.blackbox.com/BlackBox/Templates/blackbox/mainscreen.asp

Chris O
_________________________________________________________________

> Those look really nice, but I'm having a little trouble finding where I
> can get them on this side of the pond.

> Steve


> > Black Box do a "Cat5e Hard Wire Coupler" - cost about 3 for a single
unit

> > Can't find how to get a URL direct to it but search for product code
FAU963
> > on Blackbox.co.uk

> > HTH

> > Chris O
> > ______________________________________________


> >> I am currently working on an install at a local hotel, the electrical
> >> contractor ran the wires, and now I am responsible for termination on
> >> certification.  It seems that there are about 3 drops that the
electrical
> >> contractor leave a long enough service loop on in the wiring closet.
So I
> >> am looking for some sort of solution to extend these three drops and
still
> >> have them pass certification.  I was thinking of using a 110 block, but
> >> being only 3 drops it doesn't seem to make sense to do that.  Does
anyone
> >> have a recommendation for a splice/junction that would work well in
this
> >> situation.

> >> Thanks

> >> Steven Potter

 
 
 

Cat 5 Splice

Post by Charlie Capstic » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 04:27:06


We were using a single 110 splice under the Zenith brand, but we bought all
our supplier could get and don't know where to get more.  These were made in
China.  It's just a little 1-1/2 X 3/4 X 1/2 box with a printed circuit
board and 8 IDC terminations.  They worked very well.  If anyone knows where
to get more, let me know.

Charlie Capstick


> What is it 5 , 5E or 6
> What are you going to test it with ?



> > I am currently working on an install at a local hotel, the electrical
> > contractor ran the wires, and now I am responsible for termination on
> > certification.  It seems that there are about 3 drops that the
electrical
> > contractor leave a long enough service loop on in the wiring closet.  So
I
> > am looking for some sort of solution to extend these three drops and
still
> > have them pass certification.  I was thinking of using a 110 block, but
> > being only 3 drops it doesn't seem to make sense to do that.  Does
anyone
> > have a recommendation for a splice/junction that would work well in this
> > situation.

> > Thanks

> > Steven Potter

 
 
 

1. Splicing Cat 5 for 10baseT Network?

The problem with Cat 5 is that it depends on the twists in the cable itself.
It would be very hard to maintain the twists in each pair while splicing.
Another thing to consider is the future.  The wiring may be 10baseT now but,
when you go to 100 meg the cable will not work. Its probably better to replace
the cables.  I hope this answers the question.

2. FS: 1084 MONITOR

3. splicing cat 5 cable

4. \nopagebreak

5. ~splicing cat 5 cable

6. Too many components exception.

7. Splicing Cat 5?

8. problems after cloning - please help!!!

9. Splicing Cat 5 Cable

10. Cat 5 cert splicing

11. Splicing Cat 5 for 10baseT Network?

12. Cat-5 Compliant Splice?

13. Splicing Cat 5 UTP Cable