basic ? about broadband...HELP

Post by EyeAMneO » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 02:00:01

I currently have cable coming into the house, although I only have one computer
in the house hooked up it, I do have cable TV in three other rooms.  1st
question: do each of these cable lines into the rooms have cable internet?  2nd
question: would it be as simple as hooking up a modem in each of these rooms to
access the internet?  I know that a WAN would be the easiest method, but I was
just wondering how this would work.  Thanks!

basic ? about broadband...HELP

Post by Gfretwe » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 02:49:07

Quote:>would it be as simple as hooking up a modem in each of these rooms

They will charge you for each modem (MAC ID) you have provisioned but other
than that it is possible

A lot cheaper option is a $40 router and some Cat 5 cable. A couple hundred
will get you a wireless solution and your neighbors can play too.

basic ? about broadband...HELP

Post by Tim A » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 03:36:30

With these basic questions perhaps you should start out at
www.DSLReports.com, or www.practicallynetworked.com which are good for
learning about broadband and networking.

Each active cable outlet can potentially be setup with a modem for internet
access, but depending on the signal level in your home the cable co may
decide to run a direct shot to your modem so it has the best signal, then
the other outlets will be split off a secondary drop.

Your best bet is to subscribe to the Internet with your cable co, purchase a
router, and run Cat5 or a Wireless solution to the rest of your home. You
can get 4-port routers for less than $50 after rebates nowadays, and less
than $125 for wireless 4-port routers.

Tim

Quote:> I currently have cable coming into the house, although I only have one

Post by Warre » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 06:44:03

> I currently have cable coming into the house, although I only have one
computer
> in the house hooked up it, I do have cable TV in three other rooms.
1st
> question: do each of these cable lines into the rooms have cable

internet?

Maybe. Maybe not. There might be a filter on one or more of the runs.
Also, splitters may be set up so that a stronger signal goes to the run
with the modem, and the signal may not be strong enough on the other
runs.

Quote:> 2nd question: would it be as simple as hooking up a modem in each of
these rooms to
> access the internet?

Yes. You could do it that way. But each modem would need to be
provisioned. Most cable companies only allow one cable modem provisioned
per account, meaning you likely would need a second account. Even so,
not all cable companies will allow a second account at the same physical
address. So if this option is possible with your MSO, it's likely to be
a very expensive option. (You'd likely also have to pay a pretty penny
to have everything setup and installed as well.)

And while that setup would give you access to the Internet from both
locations, you would likely not be able to share files and printers
between the two computers as the ports will be blocked.

There are hundreds of ways you can network your home. You've hit upon
the one that is probably the worst option for almost everyone. It's
certainly not the best option for anyone.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.

1. Book Review: "Data Communications: From Basics to Broadband"

BKDCFBTB.RVW   951023

"Data Communications: From Basics to Broadband", Beyda, 1996, 0-13-366923-8
%A   William J. Beyda
%C   One Lake St., Upper Saddle River, NJ   07458
%D   1996
%G   0-13-366923-8
%I   Prentice Hall

%P   311
%T   "Data Communications: From Basics to Broadband"

Beyda's aim was to provide a clear readable textbook with a broad
overview of the field of data communications.  He has succeeded with
this work which is not only suitable for an introductory course in
communications, but also for the working technical professional who
needs a quick but thorough background in the field to add to other
knowledge.

Telecom professionals may find that the material does not give
sufficient depth for their purposes.  Indeed, it does not come up to
the technical quality of works such as McNamara's "Technical Aspects
of Data Communication" (cf.  BKTCHDCM.RVW) for those who want to know
the "how" of the technology.  Beyda does, however, touch on a number
of very recent topics which are not covered in more traditional
textbooks.  (There is even an acknowledgement that RS-232-C is *not*
the last standard in the series.)

Teachers will find the end-of-chapter questions to be fairly
simplistic, and not much use as assignments.  The overall level of the
material, however, is quite suitable for first or second year courses
as a "communications literacy" introduction.

copyright Robert M. Slade, 1995   BKDCFBTB.RVW   951023. Distribution
permitted in TELECOM Digest and associatedd publications. Rob Slade's
book reviews are a regular feature in the Digest.

Security       Canada V7K 2G6                |  Europe."    - Sneakers

2. Printing error

3. Basic 2 PC broadband cable internet connection advice

4. Please recommend a good modem

5. Basic 2 PC broadband cable connection advice

6. Vax Problems..

7. IP/FW/IDS PLUS IPSEC 3DES BASIC - What's BASIC??

8. COMMODORE - HERE'S A CLUE

9. HELP ! - Cisco 350 wireless LAN card and broadband

10. Help Configuring Netopia R7200 as Broadband Router

11. Broadband and router setup help please

12. Help Broadband & Networks

13. Help fixing up my broadband