Comcast newsgroup problem

Post by Dieter Knollma » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 09:06:05

The IP address assigned by the Comcast cable DHCP host is not recognized as
a Comcast IP by Comcast newsservers.
Attempts to sign up for Giganews yield  FORBIDDEN - bad IP address.
Attempts to connect to netnews.comcast.net yield server not found, yet pings
find it.
Comcast customer torture claims that ALL IP addresses have been included in
the ATT merger, 67.166.9.xxx is not recognized.

With dial-up, I could hang-up, reconnect, and get a new IP to try again.
With cable, I keep getting the same IP address.  I have tried to release the
address and renew, but get the same address.
Also resetting the modem yields the old Address.

Any help appreciated.

Comcast newsgroup problem

Post by Warre » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:02:41

> The IP address assigned by the Comcast cable DHCP host is not
recognized as
> a Comcast IP by Comcast newsservers.
> Attempts to sign up for Giganews yield  FORBIDDEN - bad IP address.
> Attempts to connect to netnews.comcast.net yield server not found, yet
pings
> find it.
> Comcast customer torture claims that ALL IP addresses have been
included in
> the ATT merger, 67.166.9.xxx is not recognized.

> With dial-up, I could hang-up, reconnect, and get a new IP to try
again.
> With cable, I keep getting the same IP address.  I have tried to
release the
> address and renew, but get the same address.
> Also resetting the modem yields the old Address.

> Any help appreciated.

Use netnews.comcast.net.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.

Webhosting: 500MB Space, 30G Transfer, 7.95/mo.
http://www.holzemville.com/refer/

Comcast newsgroup problem

Post by Larr » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 12:07:10

Wonder which IP will work best?

07/08/03 23:06:34 dns netnews.comcast.net
Canonical name: netnews.comcast.net
Addresses:
  63.240.76.16
  204.127.199.17
  204.127.204.17
  216.148.227.77

>> The IP address assigned by the Comcast cable DHCP host is not
>recognized as
>> a Comcast IP by Comcast newsservers.
>> Attempts to sign up for Giganews yield  FORBIDDEN - bad IP address.
>> Attempts to connect to netnews.comcast.net yield server not found, yet
>pings
>> find it.
>> Comcast customer torture claims that ALL IP addresses have been
>included in
>> the ATT merger, 67.166.9.xxx is not recognized.

>> With dial-up, I could hang-up, reconnect, and get a new IP to try
>again.
>> With cable, I keep getting the same IP address.  I have tried to
>release the
>> address and renew, but get the same address.
>> Also resetting the modem yields the old Address.

>> Any help appreciated.

>Use netnews.comcast.net.

>--
>Warren H.

>==========
>Disclaimer: My views reflect those of myself, and not my
>employer, my friends, nor (as she often tells me) my wife.
>Any resemblance to the views of anybody living or dead is
>coincidental. No animals were hurt in the writing of this
>response -- unless you count my dog who desperately wants
>to go outside now.

>Webhosting: 500MB Space, 30G Transfer, 7.95/mo.
>http://www.holzemville.com/refer/

73 de Larry W4CharlestonSC
RF radiation hazards since 1957...

Comcast newsgroup problem

Post by Dieter Knollma » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 02:04:48

Thanks for the reply, but the problem is my IP address not the netnews one.
netnews.comcast.net does not work.
I get "Unable to connect to the server." in Outlook Express.
I also tried the direct IP addresses with the same result.
Pings on the addresses yield about a 50ms response.
I suspect that the server checks the IP client address and does not respond
for non Comcast User IP addresses.
Comcast has not added all the Colorado AT&T addresses to the data base,
although they claim to have.

I was hoping to find some way to get a new IP address, hopefully one in
their data base.  Since DHCP and modem resets have failed I may have to
cancel.

Quote:> The IP address assigned by the Comcast cable DHCP host is not recognized
as
> a Comcast IP by Comcast newsservers.
> Attempts to sign up for Giganews yield  FORBIDDEN - bad IP address.
> Attempts to connect to netnews.comcast.net yield server not found, yet
pings
> find it.
> Comcast customer torture claims that ALL IP addresses have been included
in
> the ATT merger, 67.166.9.xxx is not recognized.

> With dial-up, I could hang-up, reconnect, and get a new IP to try again.
> With cable, I keep getting the same IP address.  I have tried to release
the
> address and renew, but get the same address.
> Also resetting the modem yields the old Address.

> Any help appreciated.

Comcast newsgroup problem

Post by a use » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 04:21:20

> Thanks for the reply, but the problem is my IP address not the netnews one.
> netnews.comcast.net does not work.
> I get "Unable to connect to the server." in Outlook Express.
> I also tried the direct IP addresses with the same result.
> Pings on the addresses yield about a 50ms response.
> I suspect that the server checks the IP client address and does not respond
> for non Comcast User IP addresses.
> Comcast has not added all the Colorado AT&T addresses to the data base,
> although they claim to have.

Didn't Comcast sell their Colorado, Montana, and ??? base to anther
cable company????  Thought I also read in the news that the transaction
was "completed"...

> I was hoping to find some way to get a new IP address, hopefully one in
> their data base.  Since DHCP and modem resets have failed I may have to
> cancel.

>> The IP address assigned by the Comcast cable DHCP host is not recognized
> as
>> a Comcast IP by Comcast newsservers.
>> Attempts to sign up for Giganews yield  FORBIDDEN - bad IP address.
>> Attempts to connect to netnews.comcast.net yield server not found, yet
> pings
>> find it.
>> Comcast customer torture claims that ALL IP addresses have been included
> in
>> the ATT merger, 67.166.9.xxx is not recognized.

I just did some "host 67.166.9.xxx" and was returned that it was a
comcast.net client each time.

Have you tried looking up your own ip????

Quote:

>> With dial-up, I could hang-up, reconnect, and get a new IP to try again.
>> With cable, I keep getting the same IP address.  I have tried to release
> the
>> address and renew, but get the same address.
>> Also resetting the modem yields the old Address.

>> Any help appreciated.

In windows, there is a place in the registry for dhcp that REQUESTS the
same ipaddr that was last used when you "cancel" the ipaddr; this
registry addr can be changed to another ip to get the ip specified.
Of course, it is preferable that the ip requested is not used by
someone else.  Never tried it with an ip of 0.0.0.0 to see if a new
ip would be assigned.

I had made this discovery when I had a different ipaddr for windows and
linux on the same machine with the same nic and before getting a router.
As I wanted the same ip for both os, I just edited the windows registry
dhcp request ip since I "knew" the ip was also "mine"; however, I had
adsl at the time and still think that it may be the same with cable.

Comcast newsgroup problem

Post by Dieter Knollma » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 06:15:09

Thanks for the tips.
I managed to get my IP address changed.
Not use what did it, but problem solved.

> > Thanks for the reply, but the problem is my IP address not the netnews
one.
> > netnews.comcast.net does not work.
> > I get "Unable to connect to the server." in Outlook Express.
> > I also tried the direct IP addresses with the same result.
> > Pings on the addresses yield about a 50ms response.
> > I suspect that the server checks the IP client address and does not
respond
> > for non Comcast User IP addresses.
> > Comcast has not added all the Colorado AT&T addresses to the data base,
> > although they claim to have.

> Didn't Comcast sell their Colorado, Montana, and ??? base to anther
> cable company????  Thought I also read in the news that the transaction
> was "completed"...

> > I was hoping to find some way to get a new IP address, hopefully one in
> > their data base.  Since DHCP and modem resets have failed I may have to
> > cancel.

> >> The IP address assigned by the Comcast cable DHCP host is not
recognized
> > as
> >> a Comcast IP by Comcast newsservers.
> >> Attempts to sign up for Giganews yield  FORBIDDEN - bad IP address.
> >> Attempts to connect to netnews.comcast.net yield server not found, yet
> > pings
> >> find it.
> >> Comcast customer torture claims that ALL IP addresses have been
included
> > in
> >> the ATT merger, 67.166.9.xxx is not recognized.

> I just did some "host 67.166.9.xxx" and was returned that it was a
> comcast.net client each time.

> Have you tried looking up your own ip????

> >> With dial-up, I could hang-up, reconnect, and get a new IP to try
again.
> >> With cable, I keep getting the same IP address.  I have tried to
release
> > the
> >> address and renew, but get the same address.
> >> Also resetting the modem yields the old Address.

> >> Any help appreciated.

> In windows, there is a place in the registry for dhcp that REQUESTS the
> same ipaddr that was last used when you "cancel" the ipaddr; this
> registry addr can be changed to another ip to get the ip specified.
> Of course, it is preferable that the ip requested is not used by
> someone else.  Never tried it with an ip of 0.0.0.0 to see if a new
> ip would be assigned.

> I had made this discovery when I had a different ipaddr for windows and
> linux on the same machine with the same nic and before getting a router.
> As I wanted the same ip for both os, I just edited the windows registry
> dhcp request ip since I "knew" the ip was also "mine"; however, I had
> adsl at the time and still think that it may be the same with cable.

Comcast newsgroup problem

Post by Larr » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 08:21:32

Quote:>Thanks for the tips.
>I managed to get my IP address changed.
>Not use what did it, but problem solved.

His IP is 12.253.84.56, now.  Says Comcast Online in his header, too!

Post by a use » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 00:09:12

>>Thanks for the tips.
>>I managed to get my IP address changed.
>>Not use what did it, but problem solved.

> His IP is 12.253.84.56, now.  Says Comcast Online in his header, too!

But doing a "host" on 12.253.84.56 shows that it is a xxx.client.attbi.com
addr.   I don't think the "conversion" converted everything as I am
still considered also as an attbi.com for hostname.

He implied that he had a 69.x.xx.xx addr which is probably a legacy comcast
ipaddr.

Comcast newsgroup problem

Post by Larr » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 01:42:21

I doubt anything really changed.  Com*just bought up the Accounts
Receivable and the headaches of customer support from ATT who's still
running the equipment and wholesaleing it to Comcrap.

>>>Thanks for the tips.
>>>I managed to get my IP address changed.
>>>Not use what did it, but problem solved.

>> His IP is 12.253.84.56, now.  Says Comcast Online in his header, too!

>But doing a "host" on 12.253.84.56 shows that it is a xxx.client.attbi.com
>addr.   I don't think the "conversion" converted everything as I am
>still considered also as an attbi.com for hostname.

>He implied that he had a 69.x.xx.xx addr which is probably a legacy comcast
>ipaddr.

73 de Larry W4CharlestonSC
RF radiation hazards since 1957...

1. Comcast@Home & Newsgroup Problems

is cleaning up their newsgroup server messages *way* too frequently. After
only a day, and frequently the *same* day, the messages that I create are
deleted. All that I see are *sometimes* a RE: reply to my message, if I'm
lucky enough to even catch it. I use Microsoft Outlook Express and I've not
changed my settings since switching from an local dial-up ISP. Yet, my
former ISP's newsgroup servers left messages out there for a reasonable
amount of time. Has anyone else experienced this issue and is there a way
around the problem?

2. Spr2JPEG

3. Comcast Web Based "Support" Problem --- Do Not Install Any Software from Comcast!!!!!!

4. Sound problems

5. Any Comcast newsgroups/message boards?

6. Hiding who an email has been sent to

7. ATTBI to Comcast - some Newsgroups missing

8. DB2/400 - What is it?

9. E-Mail address for Comcast Newsgroup Tech support

10. Need E-mail address for Comcast Newsgroup Tech Support...

11. Need E-mail address for Newsgroup tech support on Comcast

12. is there a special newsgroup just for NJ comcast users?

13. Can't enable newsgroups (Comcast)