Cellular Data Port Modem Standards

Post by Davidoff07 » Thu, 06 Feb 2003 06:01:44

I am designing a unit (modem) which will connect to the data port of a cellular
telephone and establish a point to point data connection with another cellular
telephone with the same device. I need to know where I can find some reading
material for this type of a setup.

Are there standards for this type of an external device, and where can I locate
them? Is it a universal standard which applies to US networks as well as GSM
networks/telephones?

Will a regular modem with an RJ11 jack/RS232 port and a special adapter
connecting to the data port of the cell phone be enough? Or is there special
firmware that needs to be integrated into the device to be compatible with the
cell phone data port?

-David Davidoff

Post by James Knot » Thu, 06 Feb 2003 10:13:47

> I am designing a unit (modem) which will connect to the data port of a
> cellular telephone and establish a point to point data connection with
> another cellular telephone with the same device. I need to know where I
> can find some reading material for this type of a setup.

> Are there standards for this type of an external device, and where can I
> locate them? Is it a universal standard which applies to US networks as
> well as GSM networks/telephones?

> Will a regular modem with an RJ11 jack/RS232 port and a special adapter
> connecting to the data port of the cell phone be enough? Or is there
> special firmware that needs to be integrated into the device to be
> compatible with the cell phone data port?

I have seen your posts in several newsgroups.  Perhaps you should learn the
proper way to cross post, so we don't have to keep on reading the same
message.

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.

Post by slightl » Thu, 06 Feb 2003 19:29:08

> > I am designing a unit (modem) which will connect to the data port of a
> > cellular telephone and establish a point to point data connection with
> > another cellular telephone with the same device. I need to know where I
> > can find some reading material for this type of a setup.

> > Are there standards for this type of an external device, and where can I
> > locate them? Is it a universal standard which applies to US networks as
> > well as GSM networks/telephones?

> > Will a regular modem with an RJ11 jack/RS232 port and a special adapter
> > connecting to the data port of the cell phone be enough? Or is there
> > special firmware that needs to be integrated into the device to be
> > compatible with the cell phone data port?

> I have seen your posts in several newsgroups.  Perhaps you should learn
the
> proper way to cross post, so we don't have to keep on reading the same
> message.

> --

> Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

> james.knott.

Hhhhhhh
   You want to connect two network devices. A modem and a Cell  to
create a ppp connection between the Cells. First off well done if you can
get this two work.

Most cable modem dont have a rs232 conector you will ahve to go in through
the ethernet port. use a rj45 connector maybe or USB. You cell is going to
have to
request an IP which in UMTS there all IPv6 and very few cable networks
support that. But maybe you could use kame ??? I dont know. Then actually
creating the ppp link which i guess could be pppoe which some cable co
have a switch for but.... Ahhh brain crumbling with maize of complication. I
hear
words "call broker".... thud

Great project!!!! though

1. Cellular Data Port Modem Standards

I am designing a unit (modem) which will connect to the data port of a cellular
telephone and establish a point to point data connection with another cellular
telephone with the same device. I need to know where I can find some reading
material for this type of a setup.

Are there standards for this type of an external device, and where can I locate
them? Is it a universal standard which applies to US networks as well as GSM
networks/telephones?

Will a regular modem with an RJ11 jack/RS232 port and a special adapter
connecting to the data port of the cell phone be enough? Or is there special
firmware that needs to be integrated into the device to be compatible with the
cell phone data port?

-David Davidoff

2. !! 20 ALL NEW FREE CPD QUESTIONS

3. 5ESS vs GTD5 in relation to ISDN capability

4. Book Review: "CDPD: Cellular Digital Packet Data Standards"

5. How to detect computers connected?

6. NAT problem with FTP to Standard Port through NonStandard NAT Port

7. makeboot.exe or makeboot32.exe?

8. Q: Standards for Voice/Data/Fax Modems

9. Field Data via Cellular Phone & Modem

10. Cellular data usinf Motorola Power PCMCIA modem and Motorola TAC

11. Best modem for cellular data transmission

12. Cellular Data Modem