Comcast High Speed Software

Post by The Green Power Range » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 15:27:49

Do we REALLY have to install this software? I haven't and my connection/e-mail is working fine.

Does it do anything useful besides throw Comcast ads all over the place?

Ranger

Comcast High Speed Software

Post by joe » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 22:17:18

Just moved to Reading PA from Long Island where I had flawless
Optimum Online for a year and a half.  No games, no problems
with my router, excellent tech support with virtually no waiting
time and intelligent motivated personnel.

Today's my day to sign up with Comcast, I stopped at CVS to get
my valium refilled last night.

The day I signed on to Optimum two years ago, i just plugged them
in, changed my TCP/IP to ethernet and surfed away for eigh*
months uninterrupted.  NO SOFTWARE - since I have a virtual
server elsewhere I didn't even use them for email.

If Comcast is truly run by such a group of no-nothings, why didn't
they just ask one of the other companies to help them out?  When
I have trouble I reach out for help, so do most of you.

Email was never a problem, and  they offered about 40,000
newsgroups on their own server with omissions, yes, but no
visible pattern of censorship.

More - they signed up 550,000 customers in a year and a half
and didn't miss a beat.

Comcast has a lot to prove.

It seems to me that they must be run by a bunch of *
management types with MBAs where their brains ought to
be, interested only in the bottom line waiting for the moment
they can dump their stock options and*everyone.

Joe
Shillington PA

Quote:> Do we REALLY have to install this software? I haven't and my
> connection/e-mail is working fine.

> Does it do anything useful besides throw Comcast ads all over the place?

> Ranger

Comcast High Speed Software

Post by Larry W4C » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 22:43:11

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002 06:27:49 GMT, "The Green Power Ranger"

>Do we REALLY have to install this software? I haven't and my connection/e-mail is working fine.

NO!  Don't EVER install cable company software.  It's just spys and
spam.
Quote:

>Does it do anything useful besides throw Comcast ads all over the place?

Yes.  It installs the spyware to suck up your CPU time....

Isn't saying Comcast High Speed an oxymoron??

Larry W4CSC

Comcast High Speed Software

Post by dave [BeginThread.com » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 23:18:39

Quote:> Isn't saying Comcast High Speed an oxymoron??

Well, our net speed is fast, usually above 1.1mb and have gotten 1.5mb
before in Salisbury, MD

Comcast High Speed Software

Post by Kevin Mille » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 23:37:41

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002 09:18:39 -0500, "dave [BeginThread.com]"

>> Isn't saying Comcast High Speed an oxymoron??

>Well, our net speed is fast, usually above 1.1mb and have gotten 1.5mb
>before in Salisbury, MD

About the same here in Upper Marlboro, MD. When the guy came out to
install the high-speed cable internet service last week, he didn't
install any of the Comcast software, just the USB driver (I've since
changed to a NIC for my network).  This guy actually seemed pretty
knowledgeable about what he was doing, too.

Kevin Miller
"GO SKINS!!!"

Post by keit » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 08:09:45

> Just moved to Reading PA from Long Island where I had flawless
> Optimum Online for a year and a half.  No games, no problems
> with my router, excellent tech support with virtually no waiting
> time and intelligent motivated personnel.

> Today's my day to sign up with Comcast, I stopped at CVS to get
> my valium refilled last night.

> The day I signed on to Optimum two years ago, i just plugged them
> in, changed my TCP/IP to ethernet and surfed away for eigh*
> months uninterrupted.  NO SOFTWARE - since I have a virtual
> server elsewhere I didn't even use them for email.

getting installed in Reading will be the same way.  we make sure the
signal is good to the modem - replacing or installing the line if need
be - hook up the modem, set the tcp/ip to use dhcp and do a reboot if
necessary.

NO OTHER SOFTWARE NEEDED.

we made the decision to not install any of the software - the only
software installed is the driver for either the modem (usb driver) or
the NIC if one is needed.

that's it - period.

Quote:> If Comcast is truly run by such a group of no-nothings, why didn't
> they just ask one of the other companies to help them out?  When
> I have trouble I reach out for help, so do most of you.

> Email was never a problem, and  they offered about 40,000
> newsgroups on their own server with omissions, yes, but no
> visible pattern of censorship.

> More - they signed up 550,000 customers in a year and a half
> and didn't miss a beat.

comcast moved more than one million customers over to a new and

Quote:> Joe
> Shillington PA

I'll have to keep an eye out for you on my route.  save a few of them
valiums for me, I'll need them soon :-)  online hasn't even been
officially announced yet and people were lining up outside the door for
the self install kits.

~k

1. Comcast High-Speed Internet Enhances Comcast.net to Become

     Comcast High-Speed Internet Enhances Comcast.net to Become
     Broadband Destination Site

Movie Trailers, Magazine-Quality Pictures, Games, Videos, News, Financial
Tools and More Highlight Broadband Experience at New Comcast.net

PHILADELPHIA, July 2 /PRNewswire/ -- Comcast High-Speed Internet
customers now can experience a rich selection of multimedia services,
features and content with the recent improvements to Comcast.net, a
newly developed premier broadband destination site that comes included
with Comcast High-Speed Internet service.  Comcast.net is designed to
help customers take full advantage of the power and capabilities of
their high-speed, always-on Internet connections.

     - http://finance.lycos.com/home/news/story.asp?story=34703185

2. long distance ISDN possible??

3. Problems with Cisco VPN Client on Comcast High Speed Behind a Linksys Cable/DSL Router

4. UNIX Word to text conversion

5. Microsoft invests in Comcast to advance high speed access

6. what is the actual HDTV res of the xbox?

7. Some newbie questions re Comcast high-speed internet service

8. Comcast High-Speed Internet Privacy Policy

9. Comcast's High-Speed Conversion Missed an Unhappy Handful

10. Connecting 2 PC's to high-speed Internet via COMCAST

11. Comcast To Offer High-Speed Juno

12. Comcast blames WinMX software for slow speeds?