Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by earle robinso » Fri, 25 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Cable architecture is such that intensive uploading will penalize
performance for others on the same segment.  It is for this reason there are
restrictions of one sort or another on servers lodged on subscriber's
systems.   A private ftp server used to take some smallish files from time
to time while at a remote location, office or while traveling, is no
problem, though some cable operators will even object to such usage.
Aside from the problems inherent in public ftp or web servers --legality of
material offered and bandwidth usage, there are also others.   For example,
I know of a case where a fellow had a mail server that went kaflooey and
swamped the cable system with all sorts of garbage.

Cable architecture was conceived at a time long before just about anyone
could set up a server, long before there was mp3, long before file sizes
were measured in megabytes rather than kilobytes.    Given those changes,
and the competition now arising from adsl and satellite in the future, cable
will have to change, too.  But, this is not a trivial procedure.  In any
case, we'll have to live with what we have today for the next few years at
least.

 -er

> > He seems to be good of charter.net, or one of his right hand men.
> Mind you,
> > all the cable operators are faced with abuses, especially those who
> think it is
> > their right to run a server from their system, even if it will make it
> impact
> > negatively the performance of othes and hog the finite amount of
> bandwidth
> > available both within the cable system and on the internet itself.

> >  -er

> But for crying out loud, the original post said: "I am having the
> RoadRunner service installed in my house in a couple of weeks and would
> like to set up a FTP server so that I can access the files from my
> computer at work."

> So what's the difference in bandwidth usage between having an ftp server
> at work, and running a client at home to transfer files to work, as
> opposed to having a single password protected login from home and being
> able to be physically at work and transfering files from your home to
> work (and vice-versa)?

> The file(s) get transferred either way, so the only difference is having
> the ftp server at home is a great convenience and not having it is a big
> pain in the ass (assuming lots of work at home is done, and so lot's of
> files are transferred).

> There's no extra bandwith being wasted, period.  In fact, some might be
> saved because he'll only transfer what he needs, as opposed to
> transferring *everything* before leaving for work, "just in case."

> Fred

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by john.cro.. » Fri, 25 Feb 2000 04:00:00

-> In most cases, running a FTP server violates your TOS with the provider. It
-> is grounds for immediate cut off in my system, and yes, I will disconnect
-> users for attempting it.
-> Unless of course you are paying commercial prices instead of stealing
-> bandwidth as anyone using a FTP server (or any server) while paying
-> residential prices is doing.

Give me a break.  I don't know where you operate, but I sure as hell
would not use your service with this attitude.  It is entirely
reasonable to run a personal ftp server so you can move files between
work and home, or home and a friends's house, or home and a relative's
house.  Sure, if I put up an ftp server that is serving * 24x7 or
something like that (basically any service that consumes a lot of
bandwidth over a long interval of time), then that is abuse.  Using
ftp for a few minutes a day a few days a month is not abuse.  There
is such a thing as a personal ftp server (like, you can do it on any
Windows desktop box, get over it).  It is *NOT* stealing bandwidth.
What a loser attitude...

--
John S. Cronin                             phone: (404) 894-6164
Office of Information Technology Operations and Engineering 0715

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by john.cro.. » Fri, 25 Feb 2000 04:00:00

-> Me would be very interested...

-> Wen Ho Lee

-> Somewhere in an unemployment line awaiting deportation...

You might be funny if you weren't so stupid.  Wen Ho Lee is being
used as a scapegoat.  Further, he is an American citizen, so he
won't be deported no matter what happens.  It's all political,
as far as I have  been able to tell there is no actual evidence
of espionage whatsoever.

--

Post by Barry Margoli » Fri, 25 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>Give me a break.  I don't know where you operate, but I sure as hell
>would not use your service with this attitude.  It is entirely
>reasonable to run a personal ftp server so you can move files between
>work and home, or home and a friends's house, or home and a relative's
>house.  Sure, if I put up an ftp server that is serving * 24x7 or
>something like that (basically any service that consumes a lot of
>bandwidth over a long interval of time), then that is abuse.  Using
>ftp for a few minutes a day a few days a month is not abuse.  There
>is such a thing as a personal ftp server (like, you can do it on any
>Windows desktop box, get over it).  It is *NOT* stealing bandwidth.
>What a loser attitude...

Whether it's "stealing bandwidth" is not really important.  If your TOS
says you can't do it, it's a contract violation, and they would be within
their rights to terminate your account.  The ISP doesn't have to have a
good technical reason for a restriction like this.

M1RR has different TOS's in different parts of the country, but in the
northeast servers are allowed as long as they're not for commercial use.
But I think people in other regions have posted that servers are not

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by Dave Hi » Sun, 27 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>We now have a limit on file size through RR emails?

>Don

Here in NY we've always had limits.  It used to be five megs, which is
reasonable, I guess, but now it's three, and that has been a pain in
the *more than once.

----
Nannies, you better take your * pressure pills before you read "The New Racists" in the latest
Hittman Chronicle. http://www.veryComputer.com/
Extra! Extra!  Don't miss the exclusive Hittman eyewitness coverage of the Diallo Trial!

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by Dave Hi » Sun, 27 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi...

>Just to test your theory, I emailed an 8MB files to a friend that has DSL in NY...it ended up at 12mb
>as an attachment...he then mailed the file back to me...and it worked perfectly...i've often used RR
>to send files as big as 50mb to friends on RR and DSL (games)...with NO problem ever...

>Don

Considering how inconstant they are, that's entirely possible.
*Officially* there is (or at least was) a three meg limit, and I have
run into it in the past.  Because of that I haven't tried it recently.
It's quite possible they've removed it (probably accidently), maybe
just for your friend, maybe for everybody.

----
Nannies, you better take your * pressure pills before you read "The New Racists" in the latest
Hittman Chronicle. http://www.veryComputer.com/
Extra! Extra!  Don't miss the exclusive Hittman eyewitness coverage of the Diallo Trial!

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by Dave Hi » Sun, 27 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>I never said that the data I was transferring was classified docs.  I'm a
>civilian and I work for a private company that has been contracted by the
>Office of Naval Research.  We're just going to make their boats go faster.

I have a suggestion on how you can make them go much faster.

Drop them from a plane.

Please send me a 3.5 million dollar consulting fee.

(Sorry.)

----
Nannies, you better take your * pressure pills before you read "The New Racists" in the latest
Hittman Chronicle. http://www.veryComputer.com/
Extra! Extra!  Don't miss the exclusive Hittman eyewitness coverage of the Diallo Trial!

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by Dave Hi » Sun, 27 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>M1RR has different TOS's in different parts of the country, but in the
>northeast servers are allowed as long as they're not for commercial use.
>But I think people in other regions have posted that servers are not

In typical RR fashion the NY RR says that they are forbidden, and also
recommended for transferring large files.  It all depends on what part
of their site you're reading.

----
Nannies, you better take your * pressure pills before you read "The New Racists" in the latest
Hittman Chronicle. http://www.veryComputer.com/
Extra! Extra!  Don't miss the exclusive Hittman eyewitness coverage of the Diallo Trial!

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by Simon Tre » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

ahah you have hit the nail on the thumb...

no wonder everyone is so confused about what they can & can't do...

Simon.

Quote: