Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by Donald J. Naegele, Jr » Tue, 22 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi...

Just to test your theory, I emailed an 8MB files to a friend that has DSL in NY...it ended up at 12mb
as an attachment...he then mailed the file back to me...and it worked perfectly...i've often used RR
to send files as big as 50mb to friends on RR and DSL (games)...with NO problem ever...

Don

> >Perhaps you don't care if your policy degrades your email service
> >as your users are forced to mail themselves megabyte mime/uuencoded
> >datafiles to themselves.  So what if it takes twice the bandwidth
> >(once to send, once to fetch).  So what if it eats mail spool disk
> >space.  You will have prevented 'theft'.  I'm sure thats worth the
> >ton of bad publicity with your customers who have to do handstands
> >to get their data where they want to, instead of via a method thats
> >been around as long as TCP/IP has.

> Can't even do that on RR unless they're small files.  There used to be
> a 5 meg limit, now it's 3 meg.

> ----
> Nannies, you better take your * pressure pills before you read "The New Racists" in the latest
> Hittman Chronicle. http://www.veryComputer.com/
> Extra! Extra!  Don't miss the exclusive Hittman eyewitness coverage of the Diallo Trial!

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

I'm usually capped at 5meg.

--
Tim * - Delaware, Ohio
94' BBB (Mooged, GTrotors/pads/shocks, SRI, Tach'd), NAISSO# 3626

NOTE: Remove the ~ in when emailing me
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by NOT the bunny suit gu » Wed, 23 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Just go to www.xdrive.com and get a free 25 Mb internet drive.  This isn't
spam, I don't sell them or get anything, but it's free (I personally
wouldn't put anything sensitive on mine, but that is up to your discresion),
and it is accessible from almost anywhere..

Just a thought,
Thumper (Not the bunny suit guy)

Quote:> I read stories of people running a ftp site via their Cable modem
> connection.  I was just wondering how this is possible?  I am having the
> RoadRunner service installed in my house in a couple of weeks and would
like
> to set up a FTP server so that I can access the files from my computer at
> work.  The problem is that my cable company says that they do not give out
> fixed IP addresses.  So I was wondering how this is done?  Do you use an
IP
> poster to update a webpage that will display the current IP address?
Thanks

Post by Fred » Wed, 23 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> He seems to be good of charter.net, or one of his right hand men.
Mind you,
> all the cable operators are faced with abuses, especially those who
think it is
> their right to run a server from their system, even if it will make it
impact
> negatively the performance of othes and hog the finite amount of
bandwidth
> available both within the cable system and on the internet itself.

>  -er

But for crying out loud, the original post said: "I am having the
RoadRunner service installed in my house in a couple of weeks and would
like to set up a FTP server so that I can access the files from my
computer at work."

So what's the difference in bandwidth usage between having an ftp server
at work, and running a client at home to transfer files to work, as
opposed to having a single password protected login from home and being
able to be physically at work and transfering files from your home to
work (and vice-versa)?

The file(s) get transferred either way, so the only difference is having
the ftp server at home is a great convenience and not having it is a big
pain in the ass (assuming lots of work at home is done, and so lot's of
files are transferred).

There's no extra bandwith being wasted, period.  In fact, some might be
saved because he'll only transfer what he needs, as opposed to
transferring *everything* before leaving for work, "just in case."

Fred

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by RtC » Wed, 23 Feb 2000 04:00:00

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000 11:07:12 GMT, "Thumper \(NOT the bunny suit guy\)"

>Just go to www.xdrive.com and get a free 25 Mb internet drive.  This isn't
>spam, I don't sell them or get anything, but it's free (I personally
>wouldn't put anything sensitive on mine, but that is up to your discresion),
>and it is accessible from almost anywhere..

>Just a thought,
>Thumper (Not the bunny suit guy)

>> I read stories of people running a ftp site via their Cable modem
>> connection.  I was just wondering how this is possible?  I am having the
>> RoadRunner service installed in my house in a couple of weeks and would
>like
>> to set up a FTP server so that I can access the files from my computer at
>> work.  The problem is that my cable company says that they do not give out
>> fixed IP addresses.  So I was wondering how this is done?  Do you use an
>IP
>> poster to update a webpage that will display the current IP address?
>Thanks
>> for any help.

>>    ~Syber

>> Remove "nospam." from my address to e-mail me.

Freedrive.com is better.  You get 50 megs.  And - you can have up to
five 50 meg acconts from the same email address...a total of 250 megs.

THIS IS NOT SPAM.

RtC

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by Sybe » Wed, 23 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Here is why I asked this initial question...  I have an account on a DOD
supercomputer which uses kerberos server at login.  Using the standars ftp
client to transfer files to the supercomputer is not possible because of
this security measure.  So to transfer files I normally ktelnet into the
supercomputer then ftp back to my server or the computer I'm sitting on.
This is why I need  to be running an ftp server.  I know that there are
possible security risks of the document being intercepted at the isp level
but I'm not too worried about that as these are not nuclear diagrams that
I'm transferring.
 ~Syber

Post by nocturna » Wed, 23 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Just go to www.xdrive.com and get a free 25 Mb internet drive.  This isn't
> spam, I don't sell them or get anything, but it's free (I personally
> wouldn't put anything sensitive on mine, but that is up to your
discresion),
> and it is accessible from almost anywhere..

> Just a thought,
> Thumper (Not the bunny suit guy)

www.netdrive.com will give you 100mb without having to pester your friends
with Spam to get the extra mb.

--
Tom
http://tchatterton.tripod.com

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by BilltheCa » Wed, 23 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Misusing the citizens computers are we? I wonder what your security admin
will think of that?

Quote:> Here is why I asked this initial question...  I have an account on a DOD
> supercomputer which uses kerberos server at login.  Using the standars ftp
> client to transfer files to the supercomputer is not possible because of
> this security measure.  So to transfer files I normally ktelnet into the
> supercomputer then ftp back to my server or the computer I'm sitting on.
> This is why I need  to be running an ftp server.  I know that there are
> possible security risks of the document being intercepted at the isp level
> but I'm not too worried about that as these are not nuclear diagrams that
> I'm transferring.
>  ~Syber

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by Sybe » Wed, 23 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I am the ITS Manager at my company.... My company contracts with the navy to
do CFD analysis on different shapes for underwater bodies.   After running
the analysis file thropugh the supercomputer it generates a 5-70 meg file.
Even if someone intercepts this file it can only be viewed with this
software called Omni3d whis only runs on SGI's IRIX os.  This software is so
heavily keyed that you will never see it floating around any warez sites.
But if you want to buy a copy you can obtain a license from a software
company called AMI for the low price of $8000.  And even after that unless
you know what  you are looking for it won't make any sense to the average
joe.  Oh and that 5-70 meg file is encrytped with 128bit encryption prior to
being FTP'd and offloaded from the host computer(mine) to the vizulization
computer.  See that's why we are not too worried.  =)
 ~Syber

>Misusing the citizens computers are we? I wonder what your security admin
>will think of that?

>> Here is why I asked this initial question...  I have an account on a DOD
>> supercomputer which uses kerberos server at login.  Using the standars
ftp
>> client to transfer files to the supercomputer is not possible because of
>> this security measure.  So to transfer files I normally ktelnet into the
>> supercomputer then ftp back to my server or the computer I'm sitting on.
>> This is why I need  to be running an ftp server.  I know that there are
>> possible security risks of the document being intercepted at the isp
level
>> but I'm not too worried about that as these are not nuclear diagrams that
>> I'm transferring.
>>  ~Syber

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by Kenneth Crud » Wed, 23 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I am the ITS Manager at my company.... My company contracts with the navy to
>do CFD analysis on different shapes for underwater bodies.   After running
>the analysis file thropugh the supercomputer it generates a 5-70 meg file.
>Even if someone intercepts this file it can only be viewed with this
>software called Omni3d whis only runs on SGI's IRIX os.  This software is so
>heavily keyed that you will never see it floating around any warez sites.
>But if you want to buy a copy you can obtain a license from a software
>company called AMI for the low price of $8000.  And even after that unless
>you know what  you are looking for it won't make any sense to the average
>joe.

You *are* aware that's probably not who's going to be interested in this
data, right?

Quote:>Oh and that 5-70 meg file is encrytped with 128bit encryption

... 'cause this this the only thing that's worth mentioning, 'cause that
other stuff's a no-brainer for any company or country to get.

        -Kenny

--
Kenneth R. Crudup   Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Washington, D.C.
Home1: PO Box 914               Silver Spring, MD 20910-0914

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by Sybe » Wed, 23 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Nobody would be interested in this stuff even if they cound see what it
was....  hehehehe
 ~Syber

>>I am the ITS Manager at my company.... My company contracts with the navy
>>do CFD analysis on different shapes for underwater bodies.   After running
>>the analysis file thropugh the supercomputer it generates a 5-70 meg file.
>>Even if someone intercepts this file it can only be viewed with this
>>software called Omni3d whis only runs on SGI's IRIX os.  This software is
so
>>heavily keyed that you will never see it floating around any warez sites.
>>But if you want to buy a copy you can obtain a license from a software
>>company called AMI for the low price of $8000.  And even after that unless
>>you know what  you are looking for it won't make any sense to the average
>>joe.

>You *are* aware that's probably not who's going to be interested in this
>data, right?

>>Oh and that 5-70 meg file is encrytped with 128bit encryption

>... 'cause this this the only thing that's worth mentioning, 'cause that
>other stuff's a no-brainer for any company or country to get.

> -Kenny

>--
>Kenneth R. Crudup   Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Washington,
D.C.
>Home1: PO Box 914 Silver Spring, MD 20910-0914
>Home2: 38010 Village Cmn. #217 Fremont, CA 94536-7525 (510) 745-8181
>Work:  19420 Homestead Road Cupertino, CA 95014-0606 (408) 447-6654

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by BilltheCa » Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Mr. Syber,

I wasn't  just yanking your chain to be mean. Comsec is always serious
(unless of course you are the President)
If your material starts out as classified, then it is still classified when
you send it out to a non-secured government file site.  That in itself is a
no-no, isnt it?

You seem like the average civilian I used to work with in the AF.  No
concept that loose lips could sink ships. It doesn't matter if the data is
keyed to 128bit or 512Kbit, it is still classified and should not be stored
or transmitted over non secure lines to a non secure space.  That is what I
meant.  Now if you were fibbing a bit on the data being classified, then no
foul.  See what I was getting at?

Quote:> I am the ITS Manager at my company.... My company contracts with the navy
> do CFD analysis on different shapes for underwater bodies.   After running
> the analysis file thropugh the supercomputer it

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by Sybe » Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I never said that the data I was transferring was classified docs.  I'm a
civilian and I work for a private company that has been contracted by the
Office of Naval Research.  We're just going to make their boats go faster.
no black ops though....
     ~Syber

> Mr. Syber,

> I wasn't  just yanking your chain to be mean. Comsec is always serious
> (unless of course you are the President)
> If your material starts out as classified, then it is still classified
when
> you send it out to a non-secured government file site.  That in itself is
> no-no, isnt it?

> You seem like the average civilian I used to work with in the AF.  No
> concept that loose lips could sink ships. It doesn't matter if the data is
> keyed to 128bit or 512Kbit, it is still classified and should not be
stored
> or transmitted over non secure lines to a non secure space.  That is what
> meant.  Now if you were fibbing a bit on the data being classified, then
no
> foul.  See what I was getting at?

> > I am the ITS Manager at my company.... My company contracts with the
navy
> > do CFD analysis on different shapes for underwater bodies.   After
running
> > the analysis file thropugh the supercomputer it

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by Wen Ho Le » Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Me would be very interested...

Wen Ho Lee

Somewhere in an unemployment line awaiting deportation...

Post by Barry Margoli » Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>Nobody would be interested in this stuff even if they cound see what it
>was....  hehehehe

Even your direct competitors?  If it's so uninteresting, why do you need to
encrypt it?