Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by John Mullane » Sat, 19 Feb 2000 04:00:00



you can use your hostname... which will direct them right to your ftp or http
servers

> I read stories of people running a ftp site via their Cable modem
> connection.  I was just wondering how this is possible?  I am having the
> RoadRunner service installed in my house in a couple of weeks and would like
> to set up a FTP server so that I can access the files from my computer at
> work.  The problem is that my cable company says that they do not give out
> fixed IP addresses.  So I was wondering how this is done?  Do you use an IP
> poster to update a webpage that will display the current IP address?  Thanks
> for any help.

>    ~Syber

> Remove "nospam." from my address to e-mail me.

 
 
 

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by Sybe » Sat, 19 Feb 2000 04:00:00


I read stories of people running a ftp site via their Cable modem
connection.  I was just wondering how this is possible?  I am having the
RoadRunner service installed in my house in a couple of weeks and would like
to set up a FTP server so that I can access the files from my computer at
work.  The problem is that my cable company says that they do not give out
fixed IP addresses.  So I was wondering how this is done?  Do you use an IP
poster to update a webpage that will display the current IP address?  Thanks
for any help.

   ~Syber

Remove "nospam." from my address to e-mail me.

 
 
 

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by Barry Margoli » Sat, 19 Feb 2000 04:00:00




>I read stories of people running a ftp site via their Cable modem
>connection.  I was just wondering how this is possible?  I am having the
>RoadRunner service installed in my house in a couple of weeks and would like
>to set up a FTP server so that I can access the files from my computer at
>work.  The problem is that my cable company says that they do not give out
>fixed IP addresses.  So I was wondering how this is done?  Do you use an IP
>poster to update a webpage that will display the current IP address?  Thanks
>for any help.

There are services that will map a name to a dynamic address, sych as
dyndns.com.  Whenever your address changes, your system notifies the
service, and they update their DNS to give out the new address.  You can
even use these services to run an FTP server on a dialup modem.

--

GTE Internetworking, Powered by BBN, Burlington, MA
*** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups.
Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the group.

 
 
 

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by Kenneth Crud » Sat, 19 Feb 2000 04:00:00


[ Servers on cable-modems ]


Quote:>>totally allowed on MediaOne Roadrunner.... not supported but allowed. We
>>have internal newsgroups where members will help you get it all set up as
>>well.



Quote:>my jaw hits the floor...
>(I should sweep more often...)
>8-0

Heh- they're probably capped. We've got a 128 kilobit/sec upload limit on

you get hacked it's your fault, dude". I'm sure the cap is why they're so
laissez-faire about it.

        -Kenny

--
Kenneth R. Crudup   Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Washington, D.C.
Home1: PO Box 914               Silver Spring, MD 20910-0914
Home2: 38010 Village Cmn. #217  Fremont, CA 94536-7525          (510) 745-8181
Work:  19420 Homestead Road     Cupertino, CA 95014-0606        (408) 447-6654

 
 
 

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by adl » Sun, 20 Feb 2000 04:00:00


my jaw hits the floor...

(I should sweep more often...)

8-0


> totally allowed on MediaOne Roadrunner.... not supported but allowed. We
have
> internal newsgroups where members will help you get it all set up as well.


> > better check your terms of service b4 doing any server stuff...
> > usually not allowed..





> > > >I read stories of people running a ftp site via their Cable modem
> > > >connection.  I was just wondering how this is possible?  I am having
the
> > > >RoadRunner service installed in my house in a couple of weeks and
would
> > like
> > > >to set up a FTP server so that I can access the files from my
computer at
> > > >work.  The problem is that my cable company says that they do not
give
> > out
> > > >fixed IP addresses.  So I was wondering how this is done?  Do you use
an
> > IP
> > > >poster to update a webpage that will display the current IP address?
> > Thanks
> > > >for any help.

> > > There are services that will map a name to a dynamic address, sych as
> > > dyndns.com.  Whenever your address changes, your system notifies the
> > > service, and they update their DNS to give out the new address.  You
can
> > > even use these services to run an FTP server on a dialup modem.

> > > --

> > > GTE Internetworking, Powered by BBN, Burlington, MA
> > > *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to
> > newsgroups.
> > > Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to
the
> > group.

 
 
 

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by George Mareng » Sun, 20 Feb 2000 04:00:00


On Fri, 18 Feb 2000 13:08:34 -1000, "Syber"


>I read stories of people running a ftp site via their Cable modem
>connection.  I was just wondering how this is possible?  I am having the
>RoadRunner service installed in my house in a couple of weeks and would like
>to set up a FTP server so that I can access the files from my computer at
>work.  The problem is that my cable company says that they do not give out
>fixed IP addresses.  So I was wondering how this is done?  Do you use an IP
>poster to update a webpage that will display the current IP address?  Thanks
>for any help.

>   ~Syber

http://www.capital.net/~skibby/ipapub.html
 
 
 

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by Michael S. Berlan » Sun, 20 Feb 2000 04:00:00


It's generally permitted/overlooked if it is strictly for your personal
access and not for use as a public server.  Protect your server well to
prevent attacks.

> my jaw hits the floor...

> (I should sweep more often...)

> 8-0



> > totally allowed on MediaOne Roadrunner.... not supported but allowed. We
> have
> > internal newsgroups where members will help you get it all set up as well.


> > > better check your terms of service b4 doing any server stuff...
> > > usually not allowed..





> > > > >I read stories of people running a ftp site via their Cable modem
> > > > >connection.  I was just wondering how this is possible?  I am having
> the
> > > > >RoadRunner service installed in my house in a couple of weeks and
> would
> > > like
> > > > >to set up a FTP server so that I can access the files from my
> computer at
> > > > >work.  The problem is that my cable company says that they do not
> give
> > > out
> > > > >fixed IP addresses.  So I was wondering how this is done?  Do you use
> an
> > > IP
> > > > >poster to update a webpage that will display the current IP address?
> > > Thanks
> > > > >for any help.

> > > > There are services that will map a name to a dynamic address, sych as
> > > > dyndns.com.  Whenever your address changes, your system notifies the
> > > > service, and they update their DNS to give out the new address.  You
> can
> > > > even use these services to run an FTP server on a dialup modem.

> > > > --

> > > > GTE Internetworking, Powered by BBN, Burlington, MA
> > > > *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to
> > > newsgroups.
> > > > Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to
> the
> > > group.

 
 
 

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by n.. » Sun, 20 Feb 2000 04:00:00




> Your hostname in DNS is mapped to your IP address, when your ip address
> changes ,so does your DNS hostname.



> > you can use your hostname... which will direct them right to your ftp
> > or
> http
> > servers


> > > I read stories of people running a ftp site via their Cable modem
> > > connection.  I was just wondering how this is possible?  I am having
> > > the
> > > RoadRunner service installed in my house in a couple of weeks and
> > > would
> like
> > > to set up a FTP server so that I can access the files from my
> > > computer
> at
> > > work.  The problem is that my cable company says that they do not
> > > give
> out
> > > fixed IP addresses.  So I was wondering how this is done?  Do you use
> > > an
> IP
> > > poster to update a webpage that will display the current IP address?
> Thanks
> > > for any help.

> > >    ~Syber

> > > Remove "nospam." from my address to e-mail me.

If you are using tampabay RR you will have large packet losses and
possible DHCP lease renaewl problems which make running a server a bit
of a pain in the ass not to mention the change in IP. My IP used to
change evertime my DHCP lease renewal happened which was every hour or
so.
I wouldnt bother with RR here in Tampa or St. Pete. It sucks. go with
ADSL.
 
 
 

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by Scott Carpente » Mon, 21 Feb 2000 04:00:00


In most cases, running a FTP server violates your TOS with the provider. It
is grounds for immediate cut off in my system, and yes, I will disconnect
users for attempting it.
Unless of course you are paying commercial prices instead of stealing
bandwidth as anyone using a FTP server (or any server) while paying
residential prices is doing.

Quote:> I read stories of people running a ftp site via their Cable modem
> connection.  I was just wondering how this is possible?  I am having the
> RoadRunner service installed in my house in a couple of weeks and would
like
> to set up a FTP server so that I can access the files from my computer at
> work.  The problem is that my cable company says that they do not give out
> fixed IP addresses.  So I was wondering how this is done?  Do you use an
IP
> poster to update a webpage that will display the current IP address?
Thanks
> for any help.

>    ~Syber

> Remove "nospam." from my address to e-mail me.

 
 
 

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by Greg » Tue, 22 Feb 2000 04:00:00


You are wrong..It is ok to run a FTP server on Road Runner so long as
it isn't an anonymous server..I have a letter in my file cabinet
saying so...Why would having an FTP server be stealing bandwidth?
 If all i wanted to do is look at web pages i would get a dial-up...
Your system must be the most boring system there is...No servers! pray
tell what would one do on it?

On Sun, 20 Feb 2000 23:11:33 -0500, "Scott Carpenter"


>In most cases, running a FTP server violates your TOS with the provider. It
>is grounds for immediate cut off in my system, and yes, I will disconnect
>users for attempting it.
>Unless of course you are paying commercial prices instead of stealing
>bandwidth as anyone using a FTP server (or any server) while paying
>residential prices is doing.


>> I read stories of people running a ftp site via their Cable modem
>> connection.  I was just wondering how this is possible?  I am having the
>> RoadRunner service installed in my house in a couple of weeks and would
>like
>> to set up a FTP server so that I can access the files from my computer at
>> work.  The problem is that my cable company says that they do not give out
>> fixed IP addresses.  So I was wondering how this is done?  Do you use an
>IP
>> poster to update a webpage that will display the current IP address?
>Thanks
>> for any help.

>>    ~Syber

>> Remove "nospam." from my address to e-mail me.

 
 
 

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by NoSp » Tue, 22 Feb 2000 04:00:00


On Sun, 20 Feb 2000 23:11:33 -0500, Scott Carpenter


>In most cases, running a FTP server violates your TOS with the provider. It
>is grounds for immediate cut off in my system, and yes, I will disconnect
>users for attempting it.
>Unless of course you are paying commercial prices instead of stealing
>bandwidth as anyone using a FTP server (or any server) while paying
>residential prices is doing.

Boy am I glad that I am not in the situation of being in an area
served only by your system.  Assuming that if one of your users
is considering theft for wanting to be able to transfer files directly
to their own computer.  Why, do you think your users should be
restricted to merely fetching comercial web sites via http, and spam
via email?  Can't they own their own data and transfer it between
their own computers via the connection they pay you for?

Perhaps you don't care if your policy degrades your email service
as your users are forced to mail themselves megabyte mime/uuencoded
datafiles to themselves.  So what if it takes twice the bandwidth
(once to send, once to fetch).  So what if it eats mail spool disk
space.  You will have prevented 'theft'.  I'm sure thats worth the
ton of bad publicity with your customers who have to do handstands
to get their data where they want to, instead of via a method thats
been around as long as TCP/IP has.

Sure, most of the road runner affilates have a 'no ftp' aup, but at
least they term it as a bandwidth related restriction, not as a
* to thieve.

Some attitude, but not unexpected from a network owned by a co-founder of
Microsoft.

"'Where do you want to go today?'  Wherever we fscking tell you you can."

 
 
 

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by Ronald L. Johnso » Tue, 22 Feb 2000 04:00:00


I must have missed something over the weekend.  Did someone die and make you
the God of broadband.


> In most cases, running a FTP server violates your TOS with the provider.
It
> is grounds for immediate cut off in my system, and yes, I will disconnect
> users for attempting it.
> Unless of course you are paying commercial prices instead of stealing
> bandwidth as anyone using a FTP server (or any server) while paying
> residential prices is doing.


> > I read stories of people running a ftp site via their Cable modem
> > connection.  I was just wondering how this is possible?  I am having the
> > RoadRunner service installed in my house in a couple of weeks and would
> like
> > to set up a FTP server so that I can access the files from my computer
at
> > work.  The problem is that my cable company says that they do not give
out
> > fixed IP addresses.  So I was wondering how this is done?  Do you use an
> IP
> > poster to update a webpage that will display the current IP address?
> Thanks
> > for any help.

> >    ~Syber

> > Remove "nospam." from my address to e-mail me.

 
 
 

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by earle robinso » Tue, 22 Feb 2000 04:00:00


He seems to be good of charter.net, or one of his right hand men.   Mind you,
all the cable operators are faced with abuses, especially those who think it is
their right to run a server from their system, even if it will make it impact
negatively the performance of othes and hog the finite amount of bandwidth
available both within the cable system and on the internet itself.

 -er


> I must have missed something over the weekend.  Did someone die and make you
> the God of broadband.



> > In most cases, running a FTP server violates your TOS with the provider.
> It
> > is grounds for immediate cut off in my system, and yes, I will disconnect
> > users for attempting it.
> > Unless of course you are paying commercial prices instead of stealing
> > bandwidth as anyone using a FTP server (or any server) while paying
> > residential prices is doing.


> > > I read stories of people running a ftp site via their Cable modem
> > > connection.  I was just wondering how this is possible?  I am having the
> > > RoadRunner service installed in my house in a couple of weeks and would
> > like
> > > to set up a FTP server so that I can access the files from my computer
> at
> > > work.  The problem is that my cable company says that they do not give
> out
> > > fixed IP addresses.  So I was wondering how this is done?  Do you use an
> > IP
> > > poster to update a webpage that will display the current IP address?
> > Thanks
> > > for any help.

> > >    ~Syber

> > > Remove "nospam." from my address to e-mail me.

 
 
 

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by Dave Hi » Tue, 22 Feb 2000 04:00:00



>Perhaps you don't care if your policy degrades your email service
>as your users are forced to mail themselves megabyte mime/uuencoded
>datafiles to themselves.  So what if it takes twice the bandwidth
>(once to send, once to fetch).  So what if it eats mail spool disk
>space.  You will have prevented 'theft'.  I'm sure thats worth the
>ton of bad publicity with your customers who have to do handstands
>to get their data where they want to, instead of via a method thats
>been around as long as TCP/IP has.

Can't even do that on RR unless they're small files.  There used to be
a 5 meg limit, now it's 3 meg.  

----
Nannies, you better take your * pressure pills before you read "The New Racists" in the latest
Hittman Chronicle. http://www.veryComputer.com/
Extra! Extra!  Don't miss the exclusive Hittman eyewitness coverage of the Diallo Trial!


 
 
 

Running an FTP site on a Cable Modem...possible???

Post by Donald J. Naegele, Jr » Tue, 22 Feb 2000 04:00:00


We now have a limit on file size through RR emails?

Don



> >Perhaps you don't care if your policy degrades your email service
> >as your users are forced to mail themselves megabyte mime/uuencoded
> >datafiles to themselves.  So what if it takes twice the bandwidth
> >(once to send, once to fetch).  So what if it eats mail spool disk
> >space.  You will have prevented 'theft'.  I'm sure thats worth the
> >ton of bad publicity with your customers who have to do handstands
> >to get their data where they want to, instead of via a method thats
> >been around as long as TCP/IP has.

> Can't even do that on RR unless they're small files.  There used to be
> a 5 meg limit, now it's 3 meg.

> ----
> Nannies, you better take your * pressure pills before you read "The New Racists" in the latest
> Hittman Chronicle. http://www.veryComputer.com/
> Extra! Extra!  Don't miss the exclusive Hittman eyewitness coverage of the Diallo Trial!