FTP To Home PC Comcast

Post by Al Schmid » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 11:48:18

Can I set up an FTP server on my home PC & transfer files from Work to home?

Al

FTP To Home PC Comcast

Post by Bill Crocke » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 12:23:58

I don't think Comcast allows FTP servers.  Look into something like
pcAnywhere, by Symantec.

Bill Crocker

Quote:> Can I set up an FTP server on my home PC & transfer files from Work to
home?

> Al

FTP To Home PC Comcast

Post by Gfretwe » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 12:37:52

Quote:>Can I set up an FTP server on my home PC & transfer files from Work to home?

It is clunky but you could load the data into your Comcast FTP space, then pull
it back when you get home. I think you get 5 or 10 meg. AOL gives me 6 meg
directly and more like 80 if I play their "hometown" game and cheat a little so
I haven't done anything with the Comcast space.

FTP To Home PC Comcast

Post by James Knot » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 19:41:26

> Can I set up an FTP server on my home PC & transfer files from Work to
> home?

Technically yes, but some cable companies frown on it and it is a big
security hole.  Better to use ssh, which includes a secure method to
transfer files.  You may also be blocked by your work firewall.

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.

FTP To Home PC Comcast

Post by syriu » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 20:04:58

Quote:>>Can I set up an FTP server on my home PC & transfer files from Work to home?

>It is clunky but you could load the data into your Comcast FTP space, then pull
>it back when you get home. I think you get 5 or 10 meg.

It's 25 megabytes or 70 MB using all the webspaces.

FTP To Home PC Comcast

Post by Warre » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 02:03:07

> Can I set up an FTP server on my home PC & transfer files from Work to
home?

Your user agreement says you can't run the server, but if the traffic is
low enough that it doesn't raise any eyebrows or impact other users,
nobody will care if you are. You may need to use ports other than the
default ports depending on which market you're in.

You might also want to check with your employer's IT department about
the security implications of accessing this FTP space from work. You may
be able to download from it, but your employer's firewall may prevent
uploading to it. If you find that you can use it if you use some
work-arounds, that's a big red flag to stop. In most companies, hacking
around their security measures can get you fired regardless of your
motives. This may be more of an issue than what Comcast says or does.
(And keep in mind that this would also apply to another suggestion
you've been given to use PC Anywhere or similar remote access programs.)

So it's possible, but you may need to make some adjustments. But make
sure that this is okay with your company's IT policy before you try.
It's less a question of "can I" than it is question of "may I".

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.

FTP To Home PC Comcast

Post by Dennis Savatsk » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 02:39:30

run and FTP server in the home PC,
then logon from work to your home FTP and transfer all the files u want.

--
Dennis Savatski

Quote:> Can I set up an FTP server on my home PC & transfer files from Work to
home?

> Al

FTP To Home PC Comcast

Post by Supervisor 19 » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 11:42:23

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 19:48:18 -0700, "Al Schmidt"

>Can I set up an FTP server on my home PC & transfer files from Work to home?

>Al

Do you have a router?  If so, use ServU for the FTP server(Its not all
that easy to use though - for a n00b), and set it to port 10,000 or
something up high.  Then ftp to xxx.xx.xx.xxx:23,434 (or whatever port
you decided.
Cliff's Notes:
Route the port number to the PCs internal Ip addy.  Port 21 is the
standard and Comcast might have that blocked, but anyone with half a
brain can get around that.