WAN IP cable modem

Post by jori » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 13:44:33

I have a Toshiba PCX2200 USB Cable Modem. I have a dynamic IP with RCN
cable company. I used to have this WAN IP, 64.24.40.24 (example) and
now i have 209.13.13.13 based on www.whatismyip.com. But for some
reason when i do IPCONFIG, i still have my old WAN IP, 64.24.40.24, no
matter how much i release and renew. I have reset my cable modem as
well by powering on and off but i still couldn't make it to change on
my modem box.  what seems to be the problem??

anybody who had the same problem.

WAN IP cable modem

Post by Bill Smit » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 14:21:47

Quote:> I have a Toshiba PCX2200 USB Cable Modem. I have a dynamic IP with RCN
> cable company. I used to have this WAN IP, 64.24.40.24 (example) and
> now i have 209.13.13.13 based on www.whatismyip.com. But for some
> reason when i do IPCONFIG, i still have my old WAN IP, 64.24.40.24, no
> matter how much i release and renew. I have reset my cable modem as
> well by powering on and off but i still couldn't make it to change on
> my modem box.  what seems to be the problem??

> anybody who had the same problem.

IPCONFIG displays what your computer thinks its IP address is.
www.whatismyip.com displays what your router thinks the IP is. If TCP/IP is
configured for a static address, it will always didplay the same addy and it
will be that one you have configured it for. Under those conditions
resetting your cable modem will never hav an effect on the results of
IPCONFIG.

Your router is fooling the ISP's DHCP server into thinking it's the PC and
accepts the IP address issued by your ISP. Everything on the web side see's
your PC as 209.13.13.13 which is the WAN address. Your PC's real IP,
64.24.40.24, is hidden from the web by the router.

IOW this appears to be normal and the way things can work. You probably want
to read your router manual and set the PC to use DHCP instead of static
addressing, then set your router to also act as a DHCP server if it isn't
already the default. If you only have one PC attached to the router it
probably doesn't matter unless you plan to add additional systems and don't
want to have to deal with specifing IP addy's that don't conflict.

WAN IP cable modem

Post by jori » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 22:08:35

Thanks bill...

But u know what, i'm now directly connected with my cable modem via
USB and my tcpip config is to "obtain IP automatically" (DHCP
enabled).  Is there any way i can flash out the IP stored in my cable
modem?  Yes, i can put the 203.xx.xx.xx statically but i may need to
ask RCN about the default gateway. Is there a command where i can just
query my default gateway without RCN's intercession? if i ask them, do
u think they will give it to me? well theres only one way to find out,
i guess..:>

what do u you think guys?

WAN IP cable modem

Post by TinCanM » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 04:22:28

> Thanks bill...

> But u know what, i'm now directly connected with my cable modem via
> USB and my tcpip config is to "obtain IP automatically" (DHCP
> enabled).  Is there any way i can flash out the IP stored in my cable
> modem?  Yes, i can put the 203.xx.xx.xx statically but i may need to
> ask RCN about the default gateway. Is there a command where i can just
> query my default gateway without RCN's intercession? if i ask them, do
> u think they will give it to me? well theres only one way to find out,
> i guess..:>

> what do u you think guys?

I think you're cruzin for serious problems.

As long as you're directly connected to the cable modem without the
router, you can use ipconfig /all to reveal the default gateway. I
couldn't tell you squat about the modems. I simply don't know. I do
know they have a MAC address and therefore probably have an IP. I once

reason. There will never come a time for the end user to manipulate
the internal configuration of the modem for a legitimate purpose.

Now, having said that, I need to tell you that you do not want to set
an IP address statically on your PC based on your ISP's net space or
even make one up for that matter. That will quickly cause your ISP to
terminate your account post haste. It will not take long for the IP
you chose to be issued by your ISP's DHCP server. When that happens
both you and the other party are going to have connectivity problems
and the other party is, in all likelihood, going to complain to his
ISP. The unauthorized use of an IP will be tracked to the NIC in your
PC. Guess what happens then?

If you have a router in place obtaining a WAN IP from your ISP's DHCP
server you can use any IP's you want on your internal LAN but, I'd
recommend you set it up for DHCP and configure your router to act as a
DHCP server. The reason is that your ISP does not support routers and
if you call for support the first thing they will ask you to do is to
disconnect the router and connect the PC directly to the cable modem.
If you set up as I described, you can simply re cable things and
restart. No problem. Otherwise you'll have to reconfigfor DHCP as
well. Just one more thing to try and get done on the fly.

Bill via Google

WAN IP cable modem

Post by jori » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 08:31:59

I called RCN today. and they told me that the current IP lease that
they have for me  is the 64.121.xx.xx...this IP is the one that is
posted when i typed the ipconfig /all. But when i do the
www.whatismyip.com, im getting a different IP address which the
208.xx.xx.xx.  Arent they suppose to be the same?    anybody have an
idea why is this so?

thanks..

WAN IP cable modem

Post by jblne serkcz » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 08:32:36

Quote:>Thanks bill...

>But u know what, i'm now directly connected with my cable modem via
>USB and my tcpip config is to "obtain IP automatically" (DHCP
>enabled).  Is there any way i can flash out the IP stored in my cable
>modem?  Yes, i can put the 203.xx.xx.xx statically but i may need to
>ask RCN about the default gateway. Is there a command where i can just
>query my default gateway without RCN's intercession? if i ask them, do
>u think they will give it to me? well theres only one way to find out,
>i guess..:>

>what do u you think guys?

try ipconfig /all in a cmd window.

WAN IP cable modem

Post by FT » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 08:48:11

window and got it to send

Quote:> I called RCN today. and they told me that the current IP lease that
> they have for me  is the 64.121.xx.xx...this IP is the one that is
> posted when i typed the ipconfig /all. But when i do the
> www.whatismyip.com, im getting a different IP address which the
> 208.xx.xx.xx.  Arent they suppose to be the same?    anybody have an
> idea why is this so?

> thanks..

Your ISP runs a transparent(?) proxy.

Server:  tomato.nonexiste.net
Address:  192.168.0.2

Name:    cache-1.sfrn.ca.webcache.rcn.net
Address:  208.59.199.232
--
-FT
http://ryouga.mine.nu

WAN IP cable modem

Post by FT » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 09:01:47

computer out the window and got it to send

> whined:

>>I called RCN today. and they told me that the current IP lease that
>>they have for me  is the 64.121.xx.xx...this IP is the one that is
>>posted when i typed the ipconfig /all. But when i do the
>>www.whatismyip.com, im getting a different IP address which the
>>208.xx.xx.xx.  Arent they suppose to be the same?    anybody have an
>>idea why is this so?

> Your IP address is NOT a 64.x.x.x,
> but is the 208.x.x.x clearly shown in your headers...

The IP address of the proxy he/she is posting through is 208.59.199.232.
The real IP address could be anything.

Server:  tomato.nonexiste.net
Address:  192.168.0.2

Name:    cache-1.sfrn.ca.webcache.rcn.net
Address:  208.59.199.232
--
-FT
http://ryouga.mine.nu
Seru isu Iviru! Laatsu ofu Puuru Fiishu Dai!

1. Finding your true WAN IP address on a cable/dsl router

Just wanted to make an announcement that the folks at tzo.com have
launched http://WWW.MYWANIP.COM  - a freeware software/service for
windows users that allows you to discover the true WAN IP address of any
router, without logging into the router itself.

This is the only IP address utility of its type that can determine the
true WAN IP address of the router.  Most other utils have to launch a
browser at the minimum, where MYWANIP shows the IP address in a small
window on your desktop.

This product/service is 100% freeware, and can be freely distributed,
enjoy!
you can download direct from ftp://ftp.mywanip.com/mywanipsetup.exe

-Eric
http://www.tzo.com
http://www.mywanip.com

2. WANTED: TRS Model 100's

3. Multi-tasking [pseudo-]error boxes

4. Route IP + Bridge OSLAN on 1 WAN INT., then Bridge OSLAN and IP on another ?

5. X record/playback application

6. Router - WAN IP / LAN IP

7. How to trace an ILE/RPG program?

8. Seminars in Boston, TCP/IP and NFS, Building and Managing TCP/IP WANs

9. What kinda WAN is Cable modem?

10. 3Com cable modem problems obtaining IP address from DHCP server - damaged cable mode

11. Linksys Router, Toshiba Modem no WAN IP addy...

12. Cable Modem Networking (WAN)