Clueless Comcast user trying to set up wireless

Clueless Comcast user trying to set up wireless

Post by David McIlr » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:03:53

Hi there,

Sorry if I'm asking a repeatedly answered question here but I hope
someone can point me in the right direction. I'm trying to user
Proxim's Symphony wireless system to connect my Comcast cable modem to
my computer. I'm plugging the gateway base unit (the bit that does the
transmitting) directly into the modem using ethernet and plugging the
USB adapter (the bit that does the receiving) into my computer using
USB (d'uh). This works for periods of time (so far the longest it has
worked is 3 hours) but it always drops put eventually. Sometimes
repairing the network connection using XPs button works, sometimes
disabling and reenabling it works and sometimes the old fashioned
panacea of rebooting works. However not only is this very annoying but
at least 50% of the time I'm left with no access at all. When I plug
the modem using USB into the computer that is right next to the modem,
there is no trouble so I presume the modem is working fine. However
using the Symphony's Maestro controller to check the signal strength
from the base unit to the adapter also claims that the connection is
not only there but "excellent". I've emailed Comcast and they claim
its not their job to troubleshoot this and Proxim (the makers of
Symphony) are yet to respond. I understand that this is far from
Proxim's latest hardware (my girlfriend's father has been hoarding it
for some time) but I still don't see why it shouldn't work.

Any answers would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million,

David McIlroy

Post by John Jone » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 11:41:58

>I'm trying to user
>Proxim's Symphony wireless system to connect my Comcast cable modem to
>my computer.

Is this a Wireless Access Point or a router with wireless
capabilities?

John Jones, Detroit

Clueless Comcast user trying to set up wireless

Post by David McIlr » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 16:12:01

Quote:> >I'm trying to user
> >Proxim's Symphony wireless system to connect my Comcast cable modem to
> >my computer.

> Is this a Wireless Access Point or a router with wireless
> capabilities?

> John Jones, Detroit

Hmm, it came bundled with the Symphony package, its called a cordless
Gateway. I assume its the former as it can only transmit, you can't
connect it to other computers by wires (which I assume is what a
router is). I hope my horribly inaccurate attempt at explanation is at
least partially informative. :S

David McIlroy

Clueless Comcast user trying to set up wireless

Post by David McIlr » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 16:26:59

I just tried to work out what the difference between a router and an
access point is. Am I correct in saying that one assigns a new IP
address while the over doesn't? hen I check the connection through
XP's network connection thing, the IP I get is a 10.0.x.y number,
which I presume is the wireless IP. However when I use the hardware's
software to check the status of the connection it gives me the IP from
Comcast a 68.x.y.z number, similar to the one I would get if I connect
to the internet using a usb cable into the modem, In short I don't
know if I have an access point or a router, but I hope someone can
tell me. I really appreciate the education this is giving me.

Thanks

David McIlroy

Post by John Jone » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 19:30:26

>However when I use the hardware's
>software to check the status of the connection it gives me the IP from
>Comcast a 68.x.y.z number, similar to the one I would get if I connect
>to the internet using a usb cable into the modem, In short I don't
>know if I have an access point or a router, but I hope someone can
>tell me

Sounds like a router with wireless capabilities, although I thought
most (if not all of those) offer some Ethernet (wired) ports, in
addition to wireless. How is the device connected to your cable modem?
Ethernet? USB? Is there more than one Ethernet port on it, if it has
any?

John Jones, Detroit

Post by John Jone » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 20:46:54

>When I plug
>the modem using USB into the computer that is right next to the modem,
>there is no trouble so I presume the modem is working fine.

So you're saying that you effectively "never" lose your cable
connection with an Ethernet connection to the cable modem? Is this the
same PC that you are trying to run wireless on, or a different one?
Ignore my last message, by the way: I went back to your first message
and see how you are trying to set this up. What is the model number of
the Proxim unit?

John Jones, Detroit

Post by David McIlr » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 07:15:06

> >When I plug
> >the modem using USB into the computer that is right next to the modem,
> >there is no trouble so I presume the modem is working fine.

> So you're saying that you effectively "never" lose your cable
> connection with an Ethernet connection to the cable modem? Is this the
> same PC that you are trying to run wireless on, or a different one?
> Ignore my last message, by the way: I went back to your first message
> and see how you are trying to set this up. What is the model number of
> the Proxim unit?

> John Jones, Detroit

Sorry that I wasn't clear, the set up is as follows. The cable modem
is connected by coaxial cable to a router next to the tv. The computer
that I am using now is hooked up to that modem by usb, however the
modem has a usb and an ethernet connection. The proxim unit has only
ethernet capability but has 2 connections, however I believe you're
only supposed to use one at a time (like if one doesn't work for some
reason use the other). The unit is a 4930 (I beleive, I gained this
knowledge from somewhere on proxim's website as unbelievably the box
makes no mention of a model number). This pc is not trying to run
wireless, that pc is in the next room. This pc the one that i can
directly connect to the internet, has no problems with its cable
access. I should mention however that there is no ethernet card in
this pc.

Post by John Jone » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 07:44:12

>Sorry that I wasn't clear, the set up is as follows. The cable modem
>is connected by coaxial cable to a router next to the tv.<

Do you really mean coaxial cable? I would think the modem-to-router
connection would be Ethernet. What make and model is the router? Or
are you talking about the Proxim?

Quote:>The computer that I am using now is hooked up to that modem by usb, however the
>modem has a usb and an ethernet connection.<

If you have a router, why is your PC connected to the modem?

Quote:>The proxim unit has only ethernet capability but has 2 connections, however I believe you're
>only supposed to use one at a time (like if one doesn't work for some
>reason use the other).<

Well, if the Proxim unit is a Wireless Access Point, it would need one
Ethernet port to connect to the router. Not sure what the purpose of
the second port would be, or why you would only be able to use one
port at a time.

Quote:>The unit is a 4930 (I beleive, I gained this knowledge from somewhere on proxim's website as unbelievably the box
>makes no mention of a model number). This pc is not trying to run
>wireless, that pc is in the next room. This pc the one that i can
>directly connect to the internet, has no problems with its cable
>access. I should mention however that there is no ethernet card in
>this pc.

I'll see what I can find out about the 4930. If you never get a
dropout with the "hard-wired" PC, then the problem is probably with
the Proxim and/or the wireless "network interface card" in the laptop.
Did you have to supply drivers for the laptop when you put the NIC in
(I can't remember if that is a USB unit, or something else)? If you
did, I assume the drivers came off a CD that was part of the Proxim
kit. You haven't checked for new drivers for the unit in the laptop?
Does that unit have a model number on it?

John Jones, Detroit

Clueless Comcast user trying to set up wireless

Post by David McIlr » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 12:29:59

Quote:>Do you really mean coaxial cable? I would think the modem-to-router
> connection would be Ethernet. What make and model is the router? Or
> are you talking about the Proxim?

That bit was when I was refering to the cable coming from Comcast and
going into the modem, sorry about the confusion. The connection from
modem to proxim is ethernet. There is no further hardware than modem
and proxim.

Quote:>If you have a router, why is your PC connected to the modem?

I don't have a router sorry for the confusion

Quote:> I'll see what I can find out about the 4930. If you never get a
> dropout with the "hard-wired" PC, then the problem is probably with
> the Proxim and/or the wireless "network interface card" in the laptop.
> Did you have to supply drivers for the laptop when you put the NIC in
> (I can't remember if that is a USB unit, or something else)? If you
> did, I assume the drivers came off a CD that was part of the Proxim
> kit. You haven't checked for new drivers for the unit in the laptop?
> Does that unit have a model number on it?

The computer in the other room isn't a laptop, its a desktop but I
don't suppose that matters for the purposes of the discussion. The
adapter is a peripheral and is external but it did come with drivers
and it seems to be able to communicate with the base unit fine,
although many times it has no internet access. And I stupidly hadn't
considered looking at the unit, after you mentioned it I discovered it
is in fact a 4930.

Sorry for dragging you into this web of insanity

David McIlroy

Clueless Comcast user trying to set up wireless

Post by Jerr » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 14:38:11

Sorry to but in, but:

> > >When I plug
> > >the modem using USB into the computer that is right next to the modem,
> > >there is no trouble so I presume the modem is working fine.

I've not seen any cable modems that allow you to use both the USB port and
the ethernet port at the same time.
If I connect a PC by USB to a modem and then later try to switch to
ethernet, the modem must be rebooted to "unlock" it from the USB port.
Jerry

Clueless Comcast user trying to set up wireless

Post by David McIlr » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 01:35:45

Quote:> I've not seen any cable modems that allow you to use both the USB port and
> the ethernet port at the same time.
> If I connect a PC by USB to a modem and then later try to switch to
> ethernet, the modem must be rebooted to "unlock" it from the USB port.
> Jerry

Yeah the same is true here, I meant after disconnecting the ethernet
cable to my proxim I have no problem with access

Clueless Comcast user trying to set up wireless

Post by lesl » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 21:30:35

: There is a time out setup in XP that shuts down your network after
: awhile. I do not remember the setting or where to turn it off but it
: sounds like your problem if it works for awhile then stops working.
: Try the XP groups too.
:

 http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/columns/bowman/02septem...
 Windows XP Service Pack 1

  "...Windows XP SP1 also changes the default behavior of the 802.1x
   authentication setting when used on wireless networks. When this
   setting was enabled before applying SP1, if no authentication server
   was found, the setting was ignored and a persistent connection could
   be obtained. Stricter enforcement under SP1 prevents attaching to a
   rogue access point. If 802.1x authentication (which must be used with
   WEP) is enabled under SP1, if no authentication packet is received
   after three minutes, the connection will be dropped. During the
   installation of SP1, any settings enabling 802.1x authentication for
   wireless connections will be removed. If you find that you lose your
   connection every three minutes, authentication may be enabled on a
   network that does not have authentication servers. Verify that 802.1x
   authentication is turned off if your network has no authentication
   server by following these steps:
    1. Right-click the wireless connection, and then click Properties.
    2. Click the Wireless Networks tab.
    3. Select the network name in the Preferred networks window, and then
       click Properties.
    4. Select the Authentication tab.
    5. Make sure that the check box for authentication is not selected..."

--Jerry Leslie   (my opinions are strictly my own)

1. comcast user trying to activate giganews

Greetings Folks,

I have been for 2 weeks now trying to use

https://secure.giganews.com/cc/signup.cgi

to activate giganews without sucess. Talking with comcast tech support
well they simply have no clue as they continually send me off packing
with the comment that the problem has been escalated and it will take
24-48 hours.

Has anyone else run into this and gotten a solution ?

Thanks

2. Windows NT 2000 + I.E. ?

3. Advice Request for setting up a wireless network to my Comcast cable service

4. Looking for a PC to 1571 Drive Cable

5. Is Ameritech CLUELESS or are they just trying to kill DSL serivice in Michigan?

6. Optical Disk & 2048/bytes Sector Won't work HELP!!!

7. NAT Users: Beware! Comcast Gunning for NAT users

8. Scroll Mouse Driver from WarpUP

9. Comcast Ups & Downs!

10. Comcast Explorer Pop-ups

11. Attention Wireless Modem Users & Other Modem Users

12. wireless, Optical Start-ups

13. Start-ups Wireless data, Optical