Cox.net migration and 2nd PC

Post by Gary Stockto » Mon, 21 Jan 2002 03:47:55

I'm puzzled. I just did the migration to Cox.net and my 2nd computer can no
longer access the internet. I'm using Windows 2000 and have shared my
internet connection to the cable modem. Has anyone else experienced problems
sharing internet connection with a 2nd PC? Did you solve it?  and H O W ?

Cox.net migration and 2nd PC

Post by Ende » Mon, 21 Jan 2002 04:13:26

Quote:>I'm puzzled. I just did the migration to Cox.net and my 2nd computer can no
>longer access the internet. I'm using Windows 2000 and have shared my
>internet connection to the cable modem. Has anyone else experienced problems
>sharing internet connection with a 2nd PC? Did you solve it?  and H O W ?

From your IP address in the header of your message (24.xxx.xxx.xxx)
you are not yet transitioned, so I am assuming that you are speaking
of switching email to the cox.net servers and activating your new
accounts.  If you did that manually there should be absolutely no
problem.  However, if you inserted the CD and allowed it to reset
values in your network settings it wouldn't surprise me if ICS got

ICS connectoid under "network and dialup connections" in win2k and
create a new one.

I am using Windows 2000 ICS for my home LAN and have experienced no
problems to date with Cox.  Who knows what the future will bring?

 :O)

Ender

Remove the SB from my return email to reply by mail.

Cox.net migration and 2nd PC

Post by Gary Stockto » Mon, 21 Jan 2002 06:13:24

It's fixed. Here's what I had to do.

I went into my connections and disabled internet sharing for the cable modem
connection. Clicked close. Then went into properties for the same connection
a moment later and re-selected Sharing. This brought up a prompt saying that
my IP number (for the internal network card) had been reset to 192.x.x.x.
Went over to the second machine and made sure IP was set to obtain
automatically. Opened internet explorer and it launched my homepage with a
successful shared connection. Looks like everything is ok. Now all I need to
do is migrate to the new default email and newsgroup settings.

Thank you for your help!