Sudden incredibly high ping on a Windows 2000 server connected to a cablemodem

Sudden incredibly high ping on a Windows 2000 server connected to a cablemodem

Post by Jero » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 18:59:41

Hi, i hope somebody has experienced, and solved, this problem too.
Or has good suggestions for a solution off course :)

I've a Windows 2000 server running with two nics. the first nic is
used for the internal network with a private ip-range. The second nic
is configured to work with a com21 cable modem connection, which i
have since a couple of weeks.

Further, on the internal nic IIS is activated, so that the server
takes care of internet access and NAT for the clientcomputers. DNS, AD
etcera seem to be configured correctly, and all works perfectly.
Until...

...after some time (sometimes hours, sometimes a day) the connection
gets really slow, if working at all. When this occurs i get a really
high ping of about 800-900 ms (normally 20-60 ms) when pinging from
the server to nodes (def.gateway, external ip-adresses on the
internet) at the cabelmodemconnection-side. Time Outs also occur,
evidently.

I've captured the traffic at such a time, but there is no packetloss,
or an abnormal high volume of traffic. I've also replaced the nic with
others, and tried them in different pci-slots, as was suggested to me.
This was no solution.

Another computer, with Windows 2000 pro, has been connected to the
cable-connection, without a second networkconnection, and has run for
days, without having this problem at all.

Could some one please help me out ?
Many thanks in advance !

Sudden incredibly high ping on a Windows 2000 server connected to a cablemodem

Post by Dude-cicl » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 04:36:34

What other services do you have running on your server?
Have you checked for trojans on your server?

Quote:> Hi, i hope somebody has experienced, and solved, this problem too.