ATTBI to Comcast - No Binaries?

Post by Bill Smit » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 09:39:03

Quote:> On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 19:36:20 -0700, Bill Smith spoketh

> >Why? GigaNews has more NG's and Comcast has told me they do not intend to
> >continue running their own news servers. I suspect news.comcast.net will
> >disappear without announcement in the future.

> Because it works and it appears that it has all the same groups that the
> attbi servers did ... If they vanish later, cross that bridge when it
> happens.

> Lars M. Hansen
> http://www.hansenonline.net
> (replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Yes it does have all the groups formerly associated with the ATTBI servers
because it appears they are the former ATTBI servers with a new alias. Yes
it does work, as well, but just as a junker will get you down the road, most
folks would prefer to go in style, all else equal. FWIW, the free minimalist
GigaNews option offers 68,000 NG's while the old ATTBI servers offer 38,000
NG's. It didn't take me long to figure out what I wanted to do if only for a
look see. I haven't a clue, at the moment, what NG's have been added under
GigaNews but, I'm sure I'll find out in time. Additionally, I don't have to
choose one system over the other and neither does any other ATTBI transition
subscriber. I've got them both working simultaneously. Just create another
news account in your news reader.

ATTBI to Comcast - No Binaries?

Post by Mark » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 10:04:05

My mistake:  The usenet server is "netnews.comcast.net"  Sorry about the
mistake.

Mark

> Point the news client to "news.comcast.net" it should work like the old
> news.attbi.com used to.

> Mark

Took