Ottawa: DSL (Sympatico) Vs. Cable(Rogers @Home)

Post by terminu.. » Mon, 24 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

anybody can tell me which one i better? Thanks
Max

--
***************************
For personal reply use:

***************************

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by kv » Mon, 24 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

> anybody can tell me which one i better? Thanks
> Max

> --

users I know tend to peak at around 80K/Sec (and I'm sure there are some
that will argue this). You shouldn't see much difference in Ottawa.

Bell is using a watered-down version of the DSL implementations you see in
a lot of US cities. This gives them a wider subscriber base (Sympatico
subscribers can be further away from a CO than typical DSL
implementations) but the tradeoff is performance. Furthermore, the
performance degrades significantly as your distance from the CO increases.
I've also heard complaints from a lot of people over their mandatory use
of PPP over Ethernet as a protocol.

If you're looking to choose one, then try them both. They're priced the
same, the modem is free, they're waiving installation, and there's no
contract. In fact, they're both offering a free month as well. You've got
nothing to lose.

KV

Ottawa: DSL (Sympatico) Vs. Cable(Rogers @Home)

Post by Frank McKnigh » Mon, 24 Jul 2000 04:00:00

My only complaint is service.  It take an average of
two weeks to get a Tech over to check the signal strength
of the cable line (Burlington Ontario Area).  Apparently normal
cable guys can't do this!!!!
Don't know what the wait for ADSL would be.....
If you are good with problem solving there isn't much that can
change with a Cable Modem once it has been running.
I usually get between 400 - 600 or better K/sec transfers on Cable

>Hi,

>anybody can tell me which one i better? Thanks
>Max

>--
>***************************
>For personal reply use:

>***************************

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Ottawa: DSL (Sympatico) Vs. Cable(Rogers @Home)

Post by kenmacl.. » Fri, 11 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Don't know which of them is better, but I had Rogers installed two
weeks ago, and the difference between it and my phone dial-up
connection is amazing! Super speed on the web. One caution.... the

device drivers for Printer, Sound Card, Monitor, Video Card, you name
it! The installation tech from Rogers left my house saying the
installation was successful, and the loss of drivers was not a "Rogers
issue" and I should reinstall the drivers. Not being entirely computer
literate, I took my box back to the vendor and had the drivers
reinstalled. He advised me this is a common problem with Rogers and
Sympatico, to the point that they are investigating methods of
recovering their costs of reinstalling software after a visit from
Rogers or Sympatico. - Ken>

> Hi,

> > anybody can tell me which one i better? Thanks
> > Max

> > --

real-

Sympatico
> users I know tend to peak at around 80K/Sec (and I'm sure there are
some
> that will argue this). You shouldn't see much difference in Ottawa.

> Bell is using a watered-down version of the DSL implementations you
see in
> a lot of US cities. This gives them a wider subscriber base
(Sympatico
> subscribers can be further away from a CO than typical DSL
> implementations) but the tradeoff is performance. Furthermore, the
> performance degrades significantly as your distance from the CO
increases.
> I've also heard complaints from a lot of people over their mandatory
use
> of PPP over Ethernet as a protocol.

> If you're looking to choose one, then try them both. They're priced
the
> same, the modem is free, they're waiving installation, and there's no
> contract. In fact, they're both offering a free month as well. You've
got
> nothing to lose.

> KV

> --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Sympatico xDSL vs. Rogers Wave Cable

Just like almost everyone out there i want a fast connection....

Does ne one have ne comments on which is better xDSL or Cable ..  the
advantages and disadvantages to both plz e-mail them to me at

Like which is faster (normally) at downloads and uploads
what is more reliable

And what is a better service overall..??

thanks to anyone for their time...

2. Ultra 66

3. Rogers@Home in Glouscester, Ottawa area

4. Winsock - What and Where?

5. internet sharing sympatico DSL vs. cable

6. canon 8000???

7. @home vs. @rogers Usenet.

8. WTB: Octane Personal Video

9. Rogers vs DSL

10. 3COM Home Ethernet Gateway (3C510) and Rogers Cable

11. Rogers Cable wants to drop @home

12. Roger's @Home Cable Service Intermittence Pause problem connect/disconnect often.

13. Who is the manufacturer of Rogers @Home cable modems?