New computer, new SMC router, no connection thru router, connect direct yes.

New computer, new SMC router, no connection thru router, connect direct yes.

Post by Kirk Crawfor » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 11:24:22



New computer, and a new SMC router.
At the computer shop, we hooked up the system and it worked.
Got it home and changed the workgroup, and it doesn't work though the
router.  I even changed the name of the computer to see if that would work,
but I did not notice any difference.  It works if hooked up direct from

This is the third time I have tried to hook up a computer to a router.
D-Links, a different SMC, but I can't find the switch.
I do have a working network using three computers through a hub.
Why can't I get it working though the router?

Any ideas will be apprecated.

 
 
 

New computer, new SMC router, no connection thru router, connect direct yes.

Post by Bob Mergne » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 12:50:40



> New computer, and a new SMC router.
> At the computer shop, we hooked up the system and it worked.
> Got it home and changed the workgroup, and it doesn't work though the
> router.  I even changed the name of the computer to see if that would
work,
> but I did not notice any difference.  It works if hooked up direct from
> computer to cable moden.

> This is the third time I have tried to hook up a computer to a router.
> D-Links, a different SMC, but I can't find the switch.
> I do have a working network using three computers through a hub.
> Why can't I get it working though the router?

> Any ideas will be apprecated.

Using the SMC here...before the switch had it set to Dynamic IP address,

like that.  Reboot modem, reboot router...after that if you look in the

After transition, just removed host name.  NOTE***before the transition, it
would not work without the host name....after transition it does.

On the computer, in network settings, set computer to obtain IP address
automatically.

Is this how you set yours up?

If so, did your status screen show that you had an IP address, or was it all
zeros?

Bob

 
 
 

New computer, new SMC router, no connection thru router, connect direct yes.

Post by scot » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 15:44:53


On Sat, 02 Feb 2002 02:24:22 GMT, "Kirk Crawford"


>New computer, and a new SMC router.
>At the computer shop, we hooked up the system and it worked.
>Got it home and changed the workgroup, and it doesn't work though the
>router.  I even changed the name of the computer to see if that would work,
>but I did not notice any difference.  It works if hooked up direct from
>computer to cable moden.

>This is the third time I have tried to hook up a computer to a router.
>D-Links, a different SMC, but I can't find the switch.
>I do have a working network using three computers through a hub.
>Why can't I get it working though the router?

>Any ideas will be apprecated.


according to the ip you posted from you are.
pcp**********pcs.roylok01.mi.comcast.net.

also what make/model modem do you have?

Plug the modem into the router,
turn off the modem (leave it unplugged for 5 minutes)
plug the modem back in.

turn on the router, then turn on the machines and it should work
the 'MODEM' remembers your nic's mac address. it forgets it when you
shut it off for a period of time.