cable-modem, modem-modem problem.

Post by John McGurk I » Fri, 09 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I just had my cable modem installed, and I am happy with it.  However I am
having a little difficulty using my regular modem.  (I need to do this to
get to private networks).  I can get connected and do my work however no
traffic is routed out the cable modem.

I know this is a routing issue.  The machine seems to have two default paths
for 0.0.0.0.  Has any one else run into this, and if so, how do you get past
it.  I don't want to have to issue route delete commands evertime I log into
a customer's network.

Thanks,
John mcgurk

cable-modem, modem-modem problem.

Post by M Kross » Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:00:00

hi,  here's a fix.

windows dial up networking resets IP routing to flow everything through the
analog modem.

so, immediately after you have established a connection via the analog
modem, run a batch file like the following

route delete 0.0.0.0
route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 10.6.232.1
route add 9.0.0.0 mask 255.0.0.0 32.225.246.209
exit

1. deletes the default route to the analog modem
2. adds a new default route back to the cable modem (in this case cable
company's router is 10.6.232.1)
3. routes any address to the 9.x.x.x private network that the analog modem
is talking to; in this case
    the analog modem is dialed into a private corporate network of  9.x.x.x
with a router at 32.225.246.209

this works great for me when i have to dial into the private corporate
network; and keeps my cable modem active for Internet browsing.

>I just had my cable modem installed, and I am happy with it.  However I am
>having a little difficulty using my regular modem.  (I need to do this to
>get to private networks).  I can get connected and do my work however no
>traffic is routed out the cable modem.

>I know this is a routing issue.  The machine seems to have two default
paths
>for 0.0.0.0.  Has any one else run into this, and if so, how do you get
past
>it.  I don't want to have to issue route delete commands evertime I log
into
>a customer's network.

>Thanks,
>John mcgurk

1. 56k modem and cable modem problem

Can I have cable modem and 56k modem in the same PC? I installed both of
them but my internal modem will not hung up? how can I configer my system
to accept both modems? please help.
Thank you

Akeem

-----
Cable Modem FAQ: http://www.cablemodemhelp.com
-----

2. trouble with TTS backout file

3. Cable modem and connection 2 another cable modem user

4. NEW VER OF F-GRAPHIX(WA)

5. Cable Modem Chat - Cable Modem Monopolies

6. Proof of Purchase on Zip Drive?

7. Which xdsl modem working in modem-modem connection.

8. QuickLaunch Lockdown

9. ubr924 router/cable-modem DHCP problems

10. Is this a router/cable-modem or network problem?

11. 3Com cable modem problems obtaining IP address from DHCP server - damaged cable mode