Help: Cannot ftp from Win98, *can* ftp from Linux using linksys BEFSR81

Help: Cannot ftp from Win98, *can* ftp from Linux using linksys BEFSR81

Post by Sa » Wed, 04 Jul 2001 09:51:02

Hello all:

I am no longer able to ftp from my win98 to outside. I am, however,
able to ftp from the Linux box.

I searched through the archives of Usenet, picked up a few hints.
Tried them or checked out my seetings but nothing seems to make the
Win98 computer want to ftp.

Here are a few details:

* Using a Linksys BEFSR81

* DHCP disabled. Linux is machine 192.168.57.20 Win98 PC is
192.168.57.10

* Although from what I understand it is for incoming requests,
forwarding on Linksys gives authorization through port 23 to both the
PC and the Linux. I had it just for Linux earlier on, but did not make
any difference.

* I did try "pasv" option on Cuteftp, did not help.

* Win98 makes the initial connection to the remote machine, I do get
the prompt to enter the password, and I do go through authentication
without a glitch, ftp hangs when the welcome message starts to appear.

* Win98 PC was able to ftp out with the initial settings from Linksys.
I had to change the settings from DHCP, and change the internal IP
address of the Linksys to access the VPN of the company I work for
from home. In fact, before these changes the Win98 PC was also able to
ftp out.

Any suggestions to solve the problem would be appreciated.

Sam

Help: Cannot ftp from Win98, *can* ftp from Linux using linksys BEFSR81

Post by Kjell Edvard Medhau » Wed, 04 Jul 2001 10:34:30

Some problems I have had that are similar to this:
Trouble with the password list in win98: when windows login is not
activated the password usage is not consistent/predictable. This is
probably not the cause if you get past initial authentication when
connecting to the remote system.

Windows software set to wrong type of remote system. If explicitly set to
a type (NT, Unix, ...) you could try setting it to auto/sense (I do not
know what term is used in cuteFTP, but you should be able to find it). If
set to auto, you could try setting explicit type (if you know what type of
system you aare connecting to).

Sam skrev:

Quote:> Hello all:

> I am no longer able to ftp from my win98 to outside. I am, however,
> able to ftp from the Linux box.

> I searched through the archives of Usenet, picked up a few hints.
> Tried them or checked out my seetings but nothing seems to make the
> Win98 computer want to ftp.

> Here are a few details:

> * Using a Linksys BEFSR81

> * DHCP disabled. Linux is machine 192.168.57.20 Win98 PC is
> 192.168.57.10

> * Although from what I understand it is for incoming requests,
> forwarding on Linksys gives authorization through port 23 to both the
> PC and the Linux. I had it just for Linux earlier on, but did not make
> any difference.

> * I did try "pasv" option on Cuteftp, did not help.

> * Win98 makes the initial connection to the remote machine, I do get
> the prompt to enter the password, and I do go through authentication
> without a glitch, ftp hangs when the welcome message starts to appear.

> * Win98 PC was able to ftp out with the initial settings from Linksys.
> I had to change the settings from DHCP, and change the internal IP
> address of the Linksys to access the VPN of the company I work for
> from home. In fact, before these changes the Win98 PC was also able to
> ftp out.

> Any suggestions to solve the problem would be appreciated.

> Sam

  kjell.medhaug.vcf
< 1K Download

Help: Cannot ftp from Win98, *can* ftp from Linux using linksys BEFSR81

Post by Sa » Wed, 04 Jul 2001 22:19:02

Thanks for the suggestion.

However, I don't think the type of computer I am trying to connect is an issue:

* Cute ftp is set to autodetect...

* I also cannot connect from command line ftp within a DOS window...

Sam

Quote:> Some problems I have had that are similar to this:
> Trouble with the password list in win98: when windows login is not
> activated the password usage is not consistent/predictable. This is
> probably not the cause if you get past initial authentication when
> connecting to the remote system.

> Windows software set to wrong type of remote system. If explicitly set to
> a type (NT, Unix, ...) you could try setting it to auto/sense (I do not
> know what term is used in cuteFTP, but you should be able to find it). If
> set to auto, you could try setting explicit type (if you know what type of
> system you aare connecting to).

> Sam skrev:

> > Hello all:

> > I am no longer able to ftp from my win98 to outside. I am, however,
> > able to ftp from the Linux box.

> > I searched through the archives of Usenet, picked up a few hints.
> > Tried them or checked out my seetings but nothing seems to make the
> > Win98 computer want to ftp.

> > Here are a few details:

> > * Using a Linksys BEFSR81

> > * DHCP disabled. Linux is machine 192.168.57.20 Win98 PC is
> > 192.168.57.10

> > * Although from what I understand it is for incoming requests,
> > forwarding on Linksys gives authorization through port 23 to both the
> > PC and the Linux. I had it just for Linux earlier on, but did not make
> > any difference.

> > * I did try "pasv" option on Cuteftp, did not help.

> > * Win98 makes the initial connection to the remote machine, I do get
> > the prompt to enter the password, and I do go through authentication
> > without a glitch, ftp hangs when the welcome message starts to appear.

> > * Win98 PC was able to ftp out with the initial settings from Linksys.
> > I had to change the settings from DHCP, and change the internal IP
> > address of the Linksys to access the VPN of the company I work for
> > from home. In fact, before these changes the Win98 PC was also able to
> > ftp out.

> > Any suggestions to solve the problem would be appreciated.

> > Sam

> --

Help: Cannot ftp from Win98, *can* ftp from Linux using linksys BEFSR81

Post by Berni » Thu, 05 Jul 2001 05:49:31

Very few FTP sites actually use PASV mode ports 20 and 21 in my experience.
The connection to send data made by the server can be on any one of a number
of random ports.  It may also be a different port with each connection to
the same server.  Why this is I don't know.  Most firewall's will not
accommodate this behavior.  You will have to somehow add the company VPN IP
address to a trusted sites list and allow connection attempt on ports 1024
through 65535 from that site.  Not familiar with Linksys BEFSR81 so your on
your own there.
I'm guessing Linux has a different FTP protocol but I wouldn't know for sure
as I've not used it much.
Bernie

> Thanks for the suggestion.

> However, I don't think the type of computer I am trying to connect is an
issue:

> * Cute ftp is set to autodetect...

> * I also cannot connect from command line ftp within a DOS window...

> Sam

Quote:> > Some problems I have had that are similar to this:
> > Trouble with the password list in win98: when windows login is not
> > activated the password usage is not consistent/predictable. This is
> > probably not the cause if you get past initial authentication when
> > connecting to the remote system.

> > Windows software set to wrong type of remote system. If explicitly set
> > a type (NT, Unix, ...) you could try setting it to auto/sense (I do not
> > know what term is used in cuteFTP, but you should be able to find it).
If
> > set to auto, you could try setting explicit type (if you know what type
of
> > system you aare connecting to).

> > Sam skrev:

> > > Hello all:

> > > I am no longer able to ftp from my win98 to outside. I am, however,
> > > able to ftp from the Linux box.

> > > I searched through the archives of Usenet, picked up a few hints.
> > > Tried them or checked out my seetings but nothing seems to make the
> > > Win98 computer want to ftp.

> > > Here are a few details:

> > > * Using a Linksys BEFSR81

> > > * DHCP disabled. Linux is machine 192.168.57.20 Win98 PC is
> > > 192.168.57.10

> > > * Although from what I understand it is for incoming requests,
> > > forwarding on Linksys gives authorization through port 23 to both the
> > > PC and the Linux. I had it just for Linux earlier on, but did not make
> > > any difference.

> > > * I did try "pasv" option on Cuteftp, did not help.

> > > * Win98 makes the initial connection to the remote machine, I do get
> > > the prompt to enter the password, and I do go through authentication
> > > without a glitch, ftp hangs when the welcome message starts to appear.

> > > * Win98 PC was able to ftp out with the initial settings from Linksys.
> > > I had to change the settings from DHCP, and change the internal IP
> > > address of the Linksys to access the VPN of the company I work for
> > > from home. In fact, before these changes the Win98 PC was also able to
> > > ftp out.

> > > Any suggestions to solve the problem would be appreciated.

> > > Sam

> > --

Help: Cannot ftp from Win98, *can* ftp from Linux using linksys BEFSR81

Post by Sa » Thu, 05 Jul 2001 07:15:53

I am off this week and I decided to investigate a bit more:

I am able to ftp to Netscape, a new NT server I have a web page, and a
few other places....

However, to the most critical place I need to access, I cannot!

Again, I was able to access that site before, and I do get
authenticated, but it hangs part of the way of getting the initial
welcome message...

Linux ftp works, though. So it is only the win98 computer.

Sam

> Hello all:

> I am no longer able to ftp from my win98 to outside. I am, however,
> able to ftp from the Linux box.

> I searched through the archives of Usenet, picked up a few hints.
> Tried them or checked out my seetings but nothing seems to make the
> Win98 computer want to ftp.

> Here are a few details:

> * Using a Linksys BEFSR81

> * DHCP disabled. Linux is machine 192.168.57.20 Win98 PC is
> 192.168.57.10

> * Although from what I understand it is for incoming requests,
> forwarding on Linksys gives authorization through port 23 to both the
> PC and the Linux. I had it just for Linux earlier on, but did not make
> any difference.

> * I did try "pasv" option on Cuteftp, did not help.

> * Win98 makes the initial connection to the remote machine, I do get
> the prompt to enter the password, and I do go through authentication
> without a glitch, ftp hangs when the welcome message starts to appear.

> * Win98 PC was able to ftp out with the initial settings from Linksys.
> I had to change the settings from DHCP, and change the internal IP
> address of the Linksys to access the VPN of the company I work for
> from home. In fact, before these changes the Win98 PC was also able to
> ftp out.

> Any suggestions to solve the problem would be appreciated.

> Sam

Help: Cannot ftp from Win98, *can* ftp from Linux using linksys BEFSR81

Post by Bob » Fri, 06 Jul 2001 08:19:33

I'll jump on with similar issue.  Behind a NAT router, Win98, problem
is accessing web site via FTP.  I connect fine, can view the server
log and download files, but every attempt to upload (in any mode and
with an array of firewall and software settings (using AceFTP and
Dreamweaver 3) I consistently get FTP error 550.  Suggestions on
my trouble are also welcome!

 -Bob

Quote:> Hello all:

> I am no longer able to ftp from my win98 to outside. I am, however,
> able to ftp from the Linux box.

> I searched through the archives of Usenet, picked up a few hints.
> Tried them or checked out my seetings but nothing seems to make the
> Win98 computer want to ftp.

> Here are a few details:

> * Using a Linksys BEFSR81

> * DHCP disabled. Linux is machine 192.168.57.20 Win98 PC is
> 192.168.57.10

> * Although from what I understand it is for incoming requests,
> forwarding on Linksys gives authorization through port 23 to both the
> PC and the Linux. I had it just for Linux earlier on, but did not make
> any difference.

> * I did try "pasv" option on Cuteftp, did not help.

> * Win98 makes the initial connection to the remote machine, I do get
> the prompt to enter the password, and I do go through authentication
> without a glitch, ftp hangs when the welcome message starts to appear.

> * Win98 PC was able to ftp out with the initial settings from Linksys.
> I had to change the settings from DHCP, and change the internal IP
> address of the Linksys to access the VPN of the company I work for
> from home. In fact, before these changes the Win98 PC was also able to
> ftp out.

> Any suggestions to solve the problem would be appreciated.

> Sam

Help: Cannot ftp from Win98, *can* ftp from Linux using linksys BEFSR81

Post by Sa » Sun, 08 Jul 2001 00:16:09

Hello Bernie:

Thanks for your comments.

I did not know that ports other than 20 and 21 can be used for ftp...

I immediately changed the permission (linksys setup calls it
"forwarding") on ports 20 through 65535 to the Win98 machine.

I still could not go past beyond the initial three lines of the
"welcome" message.

I posted earlier a follow-up to this thread with a modified header
which you may have missed. I told there that I discovered that I am
*able* to ftp to certain sites. It is only this particular site that I
am having difficulty with.

The Linksys software does not give IP specific permissions, but rather
opens up the ports that you specify for an *internal* IP for all.

My reference to the company VPN may not have been clear. I am using
both the Linux and Win98 computers at home mostly for personal stuff.
I have cable modem service. From time to time I also access our
company VPN.

Sam

> Very few FTP sites actually use PASV mode ports 20 and 21 in my experience.
> The connection to send data made by the server can be on any one of a number
> of random ports.  It may also be a different port with each connection to
> the same server.  Why this is I don't know.  Most firewall's will not
> accommodate this behavior.  You will have to somehow add the company VPN IP
> address to a trusted sites list and allow connection attempt on ports 1024
> through 65535 from that site.  Not familiar with Linksys BEFSR81 so your on
> your own there.
> I'm guessing Linux has a different FTP protocol but I wouldn't know for sure
> as I've not used it much.
> Bernie

> > Thanks for the suggestion.

> > However, I don't think the type of computer I am trying to connect is an
>  issue:

> > * Cute ftp is set to autodetect...

> > * I also cannot connect from command line ftp within a DOS window...

> > Sam

> > > Some problems I have had that are similar to this:
> > > Trouble with the password list in win98: when windows login is not
> > > activated the password usage is not consistent/predictable. This is
> > > probably not the cause if you get past initial authentication when
> > > connecting to the remote system.

> > > Windows software set to wrong type of remote system. If explicitly set
> > > a type (NT, Unix, ...) you could try setting it to auto/sense (I do not
> > > know what term is used in cuteFTP, but you should be able to find it).
>  If
> > > set to auto, you could try setting explicit type (if you know what type
>  of
> > > system you aare connecting to).

> > > --

Help: Cannot ftp from Win98, *can* ftp from Linux using linksys BEFSR81

Post by Berni » Sun, 08 Jul 2001 09:38:21

You've opened up more ports than you need to though.  20 outbound and 21
inbound then 1024 thru 65535 in and outbound.  22 through 1023 don't need to
be opened.
Depending on your FTP program it might also need HTTP ports but if you've
allowed 22 through 1023 that should have covered it.
Not sure what the problem might be does the site have an e-mail address of
someone you can talk to.  Is the site a restricted site perhaps one whose IP
address has been blocked by the Admin.
Bernie

> Hello Bernie:

> Thanks for your comments.

> I did not know that ports other than 20 and 21 can be used for ftp...

> I immediately changed the permission (linksys setup calls it
> "forwarding") on ports 20 through 65535 to the Win98 machine.

> I still could not go past beyond the initial three lines of the
> "welcome" message.

> I posted earlier a follow-up to this thread with a modified header
> which you may have missed. I told there that I discovered that I am
> *able* to ftp to certain sites. It is only this particular site that I
> am having difficulty with.

> The Linksys software does not give IP specific permissions, but rather
> opens up the ports that you specify for an *internal* IP for all.

> My reference to the company VPN may not have been clear. I am using
> both the Linux and Win98 computers at home mostly for personal stuff.
> I have cable modem service. From time to time I also access our
> company VPN.

> Sam

> > Very few FTP sites actually use PASV mode ports 20 and 21 in my
experience.
> > The connection to send data made by the server can be on any one of a
number
> > of random ports.  It may also be a different port with each connection
> > the same server.  Why this is I don't know.  Most firewall's will not
> > accommodate this behavior.  You will have to somehow add the company VPN
IP
> > address to a trusted sites list and allow connection attempt on ports
1024
> > through 65535 from that site.  Not familiar with Linksys BEFSR81 so your
on
> > your own there.
> > I'm guessing Linux has a different FTP protocol but I wouldn't know for
sure
> > as I've not used it much.
> > Bernie

> > > Thanks for the suggestion.

> > > However, I don't think the type of computer I am trying to connect is
an
> >  issue:

> > > * Cute ftp is set to autodetect...

> > > * I also cannot connect from command line ftp within a DOS window...

> > > Sam

> >  If
> >  of

appear.

Linksys.

Help: Cannot ftp from Win98, *can* ftp from Linux using linksys BEFSR81

Post by Sa » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 14:35:20

I  identified the the root cause of the problem!

It is the firewall/VPN software. Specifically "Check Point VPN-1
SecuRemote/SecureClient version 4.1 SP-2 build 4165 for Windows 95/98"
.

I uninstalled it and I am now able to connect to the site...

It is interesting that this software was running earlier, but it must
have started interfering with my ftp sessions when I made te
recommended changes to access my comany's network.

To access the company VPN I have to reinstall it but at least I now
know that I have to tweek it to have it stop interfering with my ftp
sessions.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

Sam

> [...]

> > company VPN.

> > Sam

> > > Very few FTP sites actually use PASV mode ports 20 and 21 in my
>  experience.
> > > The connection to send data made by the server can be on any one of a
>  number
> > > of random ports.  It may also be a different port with each connection
> > > the same server.  Why this is I don't know.  Most firewall's will not
> > > accommodate this behavior.  You will have to somehow add the company VPN
>  IP
> > > address to a trusted sites list and allow connection attempt on ports
>  1024
> > > through 65535 from that site.  Not familiar with Linksys BEFSR81 so your
>  on
> > > your own there.
> > > I'm guessing Linux has a different FTP protocol but I wouldn't know for

1. <Linux PPP>: FTP GET slower than FTP PUT

Russel, thanks for help.

Sorry, but I got no better FTP GET performance with "asyncmap 0".

I also tried "noccp", but the transfer rate was the same: about 2.5
KByte/s.

With "pppstats" I can see, that during an FTP GET, the incoming data rate
is about 3,500 to 3,800 Byte/s as I would expect with a 33600 Modem.

So I presume that the problem is in the TCP/IP layer. I observed the
following:

When using hash marks during an FTP GET, the progress of the marks
(####->) is not smooth but unsteady.

When using FTP PUT the CD (carrier detect) LED of the Modem sometimes goes
off for a short moment.

So, is it the phone line that causes the difficulties?

On the other hand, if the phone line is bad, why does the Modem tell me
that it has connected with 33600? And why do I get about 3.5 KByte/s FTP
GET with Windows NT?

Since I'm no TCP/IP expert, please let me ask: Are the any tools to
examine the TCP/IP connection? How can I get information on how often a IP
packet needs to be retransmitted?

Furthermore, does anybody have any good hints for setting "mru"? (I'm not
shure whether this is a "mru" topic -- I think it is not.)

Again, thanks or help.

2. Problems connecting IIc to Dell Laptop

3. Linux PPP: FTP (HTTP) GET slow compared with FTP PUT

4. EPS problem -- suggestions most welcome

5. cannot telnet&ftp (PPP under Linux 1.2.12)

6. Help needed with FTP Server of NetWare 5 - cannot install!

7. Please Help - big ftp get from Linux through a Cisco 2511 hangs up modem

8. Linksys Router: Need help with FTP

9. Ftp Downloads Linksys Help!!

10. Help With running an FTP Server behind a Linksys router...