How long does it take to rebuild cable plant?

Post by Mat » Sun, 28 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>I've seen small systems rebuilt in a matter of months; larger systems
>may take 2-3 years or longer.

>Falcon seems slower than other companies when it comes to rebuilding,
>at least in their Georgia systems.

>-SC

It's seems to be takening Time Warner here in Columbus about a 1 1/2 or so to
build up their service for Cable use.....  They are just getting to my area
here recently running Fiber and building a fiber node near...

How long does it take to rebuild cable plant?

Post by . » Thu, 02 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hey same thing here I live in LA and Time Warner promised that Cable Modem
service will be ready in July but now they say it will be ready in December.
They have been constiantly delaying the date.  It was first told to us in
early 1997 we would have cable modem service soon... Its been almost 2 years
when they first said that...

Post by Rod Rombau » Thu, 02 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>Hey same thing here I live in LA and Time Warner promised that Cable Modem
>service will be ready in July but now they say it will be ready in December.
>They have been constiantly delaying the date.  It was first told to us in
>early 1997 we would have cable modem service soon... Its been almost 2 years
>when they first said that...

I guess it depends on the size of the system and how bad management
is.

I live in the Media One area of Atlanta, and they have most of atlanta
to rebuild( a few million customers, I think), and they have no
competition (as far as I know of) so it could take forever to upgrade
to broadband for us.

I WORK, however for Comcast, which only covers North Dekalb county in
Atlanta, about 40.000-50,000 customers, we HAVE cable competition in a
large part of our area from Bell South (which put in all new plant,
broadband from the start, cable modems, the whole 9 yards right off
the bat), and we had to get done quick. Weve been done for a year, but
we havent finished the reverse sweep yet, so we should have cable
modems online in a couple of months.

How long does it take to rebuild cable plant?

Post by The NetGo » Thu, 02 Jul 1998 04:00:00

You have to realize a couple of things.  Cable companies are large
monolithic utilities and aren't used to the rough and tumble world of the
Internet.  They also have hundreds of thousands of lines they have to
reroute and test for capacity.  Some are old coax and have to be replaced.
They have to run high frequency tests on the lines, split the lines into
physically smaller subnets (cable modems need a smaller amount of people per
area than regular cable).  Also a lot of the standards and equipment while
_announced_ were not ready for delivery and testing.  They also have to
install extremely highspeed connections to multiple backbones on the
Internet.  Not to mention firewalls etc.  You'll have a full time highspeed
connection and you want to make sure the bottleneck is _not_  your headend.
You also have to know that cable companies unlike your typical ISP are semi
regulated and have to provide some measure of quality of Service.  They also
have to pay franchise fees and taxes which are passed on to you.  You'll see
them on your Time Warner Internet bill.  I have a cable modem here in
Memphis.  I used to live in Glendale and know how frustrating it is to keep
hearing that "we are almost done" crap.  See if you can talk to one of the
service guys who install the cable.  Ask him if they are training him yet,
and pump him for info.  They can give you a better idea of when it will be
in your neck of the woods.  Customer service has their calls monitored and
or recorded and can only say what they tell them to say.  Or they risk being
fired.  BTw, I don't work for a cable company.  My cousin does.
Netgod

Post by Eric Edwar » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>You have to realize a couple of things.  Cable companies are large
>monolithic utilities and aren't used to the rough and tumble world of the
>Internet.  They also have hundreds of thousands of lines they have to
>reroute and test for capacity.  Some are old coax and have to be replaced.
>They have to run high frequency tests on the lines, split the lines into
>physically smaller subnets (cable modems need a smaller amount of people per
>area than regular cable).  Also a lot of the standards and equipment while
>_announced_ were not ready for delivery and testing.  They also have to
>install extremely highspeed connections to multiple backbones on the
>Internet.  Not to mention firewalls etc.

Why would an ISP be installing a firewall?

--
Real courtesy requires human effort and understanding.
Never let your machine or your habit send courtesy copies.

1. restarting named...takes a long long time ???

Hi all

I run Bind 8.2.3-REL on Linux Red Hat 6.0

named serves about 4000 zones on the server.

The pb : it takes 20 up to 30 minutes to restart named with the following
command

/usr/sbin/named -c /etc/named/named.conf

 Is it normal ? Is it because of the 4000 db.files it has to read ?

Moreover, when named restarts the syslogd start eating up all the ressources
on the server.
Do I have to stop syslod before restarting named ?

If I do a simple kill -HUP, are the new zones loaded ? It seems it isn't....
Or what about the ndc reload command ?

Thanks for your kind help

Frank

2. Changing database server location

3. Why would a company rebuild a cable modem network before installing a new one someplace else?

4. mysqld_multi

5. NRCMD query takes to long

6. PGP signature and German Umlauts

7. SMTP through two PIXen is taking a long time

8. ? default routes, "ip default-network".

9. Diamond Rebate taking too long?

10. Hayes Trade In - How Long is it taking ?

11. Help! Hang up takes too long.

12. !!!!!!!! HELP! Modem takes too long to hang up !!!!!!!!!

13. What is taking so long?