can anyone recommend a good webcam?

Post by flowe » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:51:35

My daughter lives in Florida and she just had a new baby.  It is hard for us
financially to keep flying to see her since we do not live there.  A friend
mentioned to us why don't we both get a * so I can see the baby and the
baby can see me so she cannot forget who I am.

We both have comcast for broadband.  Can anyone recommend a good easy to
install and not expensive web cam we both can use?

thanks
robin
--

can anyone recommend a good webcam?

Post by Ed Wurste » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:34:01

There is a newsgroup -- rec.photo.digital -- where you can get information.

Also look at digital cameras which have a web cam feature. The reason I
mention this is that the memories are not limited to the area in front of a
computer. The digital camera can go anywhere, and the results can be
uploaded to a server as photo albums.

Ed

| My daughter lives in Florida and she just had a new baby.  It is hard for
us
| financially to keep flying to see her since we do not live there.  A
friend
| mentioned to us why don't we both get a * so I can see the baby and
the
| baby can see me so she cannot forget who I am.
|
| We both have comcast for broadband.  Can anyone recommend a good easy to
| install and not expensive web cam we both can use?
|
| thanks
| robin
| --

can anyone recommend a good webcam?

Post by John Nava » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 01:31:34

[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems.cable - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

>My daughter lives in Florida and she just had a new baby.  It is hard for us
>financially to keep flying to see her since we do not live there.  A friend
>mentioned to us why don't we both get a * so I can see the baby and the
>baby can see me so she cannot forget who I am.

>We both have comcast for broadband.  Can anyone recommend a good easy to
>install and not expensive web cam we both can use?

   WHen I did a quick research on this subject I settled on an Intel Pro
   Video PC Camera (Model CS431 I believe.  THere are a couple other
   Intels with similar names, the 431 seemed the best.  They stopped
   making and selling them recently so about the only place to get them
   is on Ebay and prices range from around $30 to $60 depending on the
   phase of the moon.  Past reviews of it placed it near the top on
   almost all tests.  Originally it was selling for over $150.  It has a
   built in microphone and works well even in low light and has a three
   element lens with part of it made of glass.  It's USB and works under
   XP and earlier.  You can review it's specs and the other similar
   Intel cameras at Intels website and download drivers, etc, if you
   need them. You won't with the 431 but there were similar cams that do
   need some of the updates.

--
Best regards,
John Navas     <http://www.veryComputer.com/;

Post by Quaoa » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 15:15:08

> [POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems.cable - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

>> My daughter lives in Florida and she just had a new baby.  It is
>> hard for us financially to keep flying to see her since we do not
>> live there.  A friend mentioned to us why don't we both get a *
>> so I can see the baby and the baby can see me so she cannot forget
>> who I am.

>> We both have comcast for broadband.  Can anyone recommend a good
>> easy to install and not expensive web cam we both can use?

>    WHen I did a quick research on this subject I settled on an Intel
>    Pro Video PC Camera (Model CS431 I believe.  THere are a couple
>    other Intels with similar names, the 431 seemed the best.  They
>    stopped making and selling them recently so about the only place
>    to get them is on Ebay and prices range from around $30 to $60
>    depending on the phase of the moon.  Past reviews of it placed it
>    near the top on almost all tests.  Originally it was selling for
>    over $150.  It has a built in microphone and works well even in
>    low light and has a three element lens with part of it made of
>    glass.  It's USB and works under XP and earlier.  You can review
>    it's specs and the other similar Intel cameras at Intels website
>    and download drivers, etc, if you need them. You won't with the
>    431 but there were similar cams that do need some of the updates.

I will add the Creative * Pro which has an excellent lens, good
(for a *) resolution, and seems to work with XP, the Messengers,
etc.