WHAT ETHERNET CARD 2 BIE??

Post by Robert Offterdinge » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Which Ethernet Card should i bie??? There are sooo many and i have no idea
which to bie.  Some are like 400 dollars and some are 8 dollars!!!!!!
Please Help!!!

WHAT ETHERNET CARD 2 BIE??

Post by John Gil » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Which Ethernet Card should i bie??? There are sooo many and i have no idea
> which to bie.  Some are like 400 dollars and some are 8 dollars!!!!!!
> Please Help!!!

In my opinion, experience has taught me to stick with 3Com.  Many others
are fine, but by and large, I have the least amount of configuration
problems with 3Com.

My favorite old stand-by is the 3C-509 ISA board.  You can find these
for under $50, or used on e-Bay (www.ebay.com) for $10.  If you prefer
PCI, then the 3Com Xl is a good board.  I think the model number is 905
or 950.  Cost is double that of an ISA board.  These are 10Mbs ethernet
boards.  They come standard with 10-base-T, but also come in the combo
variety with AUI or BNC.

If you need a 100Mbs board, you will pay 3x the price.  In the 100Mps
variety, Compaq and Intel have nice boards as well.

--
- John J. Gill
GILL & COMPANY, CPAs

WHAT ETHERNET CARD 2 BIE??

Post by Tom Perkin » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

3com, SMC, IBM.  All are excellent.

Regards

Tom

> Which Ethernet Card should i bie??? There are sooo many and i have no idea
> which to bie.  Some are like 400 dollars and some are 8 dollars!!!!!!
> Please Help!!!

WHAT ETHERNET CARD 2 BIE??

Post by Allyn Fratk » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> The BayNetworks NETGEAR cards are good too.  The FA310TX Fast Ethernet
> 10/100 card is very inexpensive (compared to other cards with similar
> features) and works good.

they seem to be nice cards but after we installed them in my wife's
pc, it takes a long time to shut down and sometimes doesn't shut
down at all.  no problems before the lan cards were installed.

bay networks even notes in their faq that some people have this problem
with the fa310tx with no helpful way to fix the problem.  it is like
they don't feel like helping.

btw, another annoying problem with windows 95 is that if you have two
of the same kind of card, it just lists them with the identical same
name in the network control panel.  so you have to remember that
"the first one is the local network", "the second one is the cable modem", etc.

--

                          San Diego Site
                          Hewlett-Packard Company

WHAT ETHERNET CARD 2 BIE??

Post by Kenyon Ralp » Fri, 26 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> > Which Ethernet Card should i bie??? There are sooo many and i have no idea
> > which to bie.  Some are like 400 dollars and some are 8 dollars!!!!!!
> > Please Help!!!

> In my opinion, experience has taught me to stick with 3Com.  Many others
> are fine, but by and large, I have the least amount of configuration
> problems with 3Com.

> My favorite old stand-by is the 3C-509 ISA board.  You can find these
> for under $50, or used on e-Bay (www.ebay.com) for $10.  If you prefer
> PCI, then the 3Com Xl is a good board.  I think the model number is 905
> or 950.  Cost is double that of an ISA board.  These are 10Mbs ethernet
> boards.  They come standard with 10-base-T, but also come in the combo
> variety with AUI or BNC.

I like the 3C509 also.  It seems to work great.  All the 3COM cards do.
However, at Fry's Electronics, for some reason all the 3COM cards cost a
lot!  The 3C509 costs over 100 dollars!

The BayNetworks NETGEAR cards are good too.  The FA310TX Fast Ethernet
10/100 card is very inexpensive (compared to other cards with similar
features) and works good.

--
Kenyon Ralph

http://home.san.rr.com/ralphs
ICQ: 8552071
PGP Public Key available at:
http://home.san.rr.com/ralphs/kenyon/public-key

1. To Ethernet card or too not Ethernet card, that is the Question for @Home Service

 Ok here is my question I have called my local TCI cable provider and asked

service they tell me even if I have a Ethernet card they will charge me a $150

need two Ethernet cards in my computer. Now who should I believe about this

what another say $40 bucks for the interner service? Scary! They're just

By testing I mean they don't even have it setup yet. They are testing it for
upload/download to make sure everything works ok before they offer it.

2. KA9Q NOSintro/NOSview: Author has new e-mail address

3. 1 ethernet card rather than 2 ethernet cards?

4. Messages going out in MIME/HTML

5. 3Com Megahertz Global 56k PC Card modem and 3Com Ethernet PC Card

6. U10 CPU Module in U5

7. Second Ethernet card or ISDN card for Sparc

8. Vortex Monitor Master & Toaster

9. Card Bus/PC Card & 100Mbps Ethernet

10. Bad ethernet onboard card/1 good PCI card/Cable Modem/

11. Bellsouth: PCI card or Ethernet Card?

12. Router/Ethernet Card/Video Card help