what is the cable modem for MediaOne in Mass? Where can i buy one for less than 199$?

what is the cable modem for MediaOne in Mass? Where can i buy one for less than 199$?

Post by Brad Langhors » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00



We are thinking about getting service but i don'e want to pay 200$ for
the
modem - can i get this somewhere else for less?

thanks

brad

 
 
 

what is the cable modem for MediaOne in Mass? Where can i buy one for less than 199$?

Post by Waylan » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00


The only place currently selling modems for use with M1X is Curcuit City.
The $250 price also includes installation.  You can also lease it for $10
per month from MediaOne.



Quote:> We are thinking about getting service but i don'e want to pay 200$ for
> the
> modem - can i get this somewhere else for less?

> thanks

> brad


 
 
 

what is the cable modem for MediaOne in Mass? Where can i buy one for less than 199$?

Post by Todd D. Perlmutte » Sat, 24 Oct 1998 04:00:00


Well, the one that MediaOne supplies to you is made by LanCity.
The one sold in Circuit City is a Bay Networks modem.  However,
here's the catch -- LanCity was recently (earlier this year) purchased
by BayNetworks.  In other words they're the same company.  While
I've never seen the two side-by-side -- I figure they're the same
modem with the ones sold in the stores possible repackaged (or
at least having a BayNetworks logo instead of a LanCity one).
For now, if I we're you, I'd go with NOT buying the modem and
renting it at least into next summer when they start producing low
cost, single chip, non-external cable modems based on the newly
passed standards.

Todd


>We are thinking about getting service but i don'e want to pay 200$ for
>the
>modem - can i get this somewhere else for less?

>thanks

>brad

 
 
 

what is the cable modem for MediaOne in Mass? Where can i buy one for less than 199$?

Post by Ric Da » Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00




Quote:> For now, if I we're you, I'd go with NOT buying the modem and
> renting it at least into next summer when they start producing low
> cost, single chip, non-external cable modems based on the newly
> passed standards.

While I agree about not buying now, but waiting for the retail
introduction of MCNS DOCSIS standard cable modems early next year
(Q1 seems likely), AFAIK these are not going to be one-chip,
internal modems. They will remain (multi-chip) external devices
using Ethernet or USB connectors (Firewire later) -- at least, this
is true for the half-dozen or so which I have seen from different
companies so far. The primary differences are, they adhere to a
standard specification, have higher potential speed (35 MB/sec data
down, for example), and provide some interesting facilities, such as
on-the-fly DES encryption.

When the DOCSIS modems become available at retail, cable ISPs will
be able to offer various tiers of service, based on being able to
'cap' speed per modem on the network, rather than per subnet.

 Ric
 ---
 Spam measures: if it is worth discussing,
 let's do it here. Email to my posting
 address will not be read or replied to.

 
 
 

what is the cable modem for MediaOne in Mass? Where can i buy one for less than 199$?

Post by Alex F. Evonos » Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00


next summer???

the MCNS is here now...  We launched it in full rollout with Toshiba,
Sony, Samsung, General Instrument, Cisco904, baynetworks pilot-1
modems..  Customers buy their own and we enter their MAC address and
the CiscouBR 7246 routes them.  The modems are DOCSIS 1.0 and the Sony
units will be on retail shelves by Christmas time ~$150 !!

Make sure your MSO is MCNS compliant first though.  We are the first
MSO in the nation to launch MCNS in commercial rollout and this MCNS
does work.

http://www.prestige.net/update3.htm

/// Alex

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998 22:18:29 -0400, "Todd D. Perlmutter"


>Well, the one that MediaOne supplies to you is made by LanCity.
>The one sold in Circuit City is a Bay Networks modem.  However,
>here's the catch -- LanCity was recently (earlier this year) purchased
>by BayNetworks.  In other words they're the same company.  While
>I've never seen the two side-by-side -- I figure they're the same
>modem with the ones sold in the stores possible repackaged (or
>at least having a BayNetworks logo instead of a LanCity one).
>For now, if I we're you, I'd go with NOT buying the modem and
>renting it at least into next summer when they start producing low
>cost, single chip, non-external cable modems based on the newly
>passed standards.

>Todd


>>We are thinking about getting service but i don'e want to pay 200$ for
>>the
>>modem - can i get this somewhere else for less?

>>thanks

>>brad

 
 
 

what is the cable modem for MediaOne in Mass? Where can i buy one for less than 199$?

Post by Barry Margoli » Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00




Quote:>Make sure your MSO is MCNS compliant first though.  We are the first
>MSO in the nation to launch MCNS in commercial rollout and this MCNS
>does work.

MediaOne in New England (see the Subject line) is presumably *not* MCNS
compliant, since the only modem they'll allow customers to buy for
themselves is the one that's identical to the ones they install.

--

GTE Internetworking, Powered by BBN, Burlington, MA
*** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups.

 
 
 

what is the cable modem for MediaOne in Mass? Where can i buy one for less than 199$?

Post by Todd D. Perlmutte » Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00


That was part of my point.  Also of note is that when M1 recently had a
"tech" chat online with some of their "product" managers, they blatantly
ignored my questions asking when they were going to move toward the
newer modem standards.  Since the message was *specific* to Mass,
and that a non-answer is as good as 6-8 months in the tech sector,
I pegged next summer for M1 customers in Mass.

Todd




>>Make sure your MSO is MCNS compliant first though.  We are the first
>>MSO in the nation to launch MCNS in commercial rollout and this MCNS
>>does work.

>MediaOne in New England (see the Subject line) is presumably *not* MCNS
>compliant, since the only modem they'll allow customers to buy for
>themselves is the one that's identical to the ones they install.

>--

>GTE Internetworking, Powered by BBN, Burlington, MA
>*** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups.