Program to monitor connection performance

Program to monitor connection performance

Post by John Nava » Thu, 20 Dec 2001 01:53:48

[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems.cable - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

>Is there a decent program for monitoring (and logging) the perfomance
>of my cable service?  I'd like something that provides a record of
>each downtime occurrence.

pingplotter

--
Best regards,
John Navas     <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>

Post by John Serafi » Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:45:51

>[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems.cable - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

>>Is there a decent program for monitoring (and logging) the perfomance
>>of my cable service?  I'd like something that provides a record of
>>each downtime occurrence.
>pingplotter

Is there something similar available for non-rentware OS's?

--
John P. Serafin  |  Operating a bicycle is more like driving than riding.
jps at pobox com |  Operating an automobile is more like riding than driving.

1. Solicitation of Interest: Program to Monitor Netgear/Linksys DSL Connections

Well, the title is a bit awkward, but I've put together a simple
program to monitor the state of my Netgear RT311's PPPoE
connection to the internet, and drop the connection, then
reconnect if the connection is dead.

Background:

For some reason, the Netgear does not always detect a dropped
PPPoE connection with my DSL provider (Bellsouth).  This is
obviously frustrating, because it seems to drop the connection
at the worst times, like when I'm not at home to manually
reconnect.

Solution:

I've written a program, tentatively titled "CheckUp," that will
test the state of my connection to the world every 20 minutes or
so, and if not connected, log into the router via telnet, drop
the connection, exit the telnet session, then issue a new
internet connection request, then test to see if the new
connection works.  All this activity is written to a log file
for reference purposes.

The program seems to be working, and I noticed earlier that the
connection was indeed dropped overnight, but reconnected without
problem.

I have only a few hours into this, and I'm quite a novice
programmer, but I would be willing to polish it up a bit if
there is enough interest out there from others for such a
program.

Before it can be released to the public, I'll need to, at a
minimum, develop the ability to customize the password that the
router uses (since I doubt you all use the same password I do)
and to write up a simple user routine.  For now, it is a simple
VB program that I have set with the Windows 2000 system
scheduler to run every 20 minutes.

Also, it is hardwired right now to use the command sequence of
the Netgear RT311.  I had the Linksys BEFR41 for awhile, so I
could probably implement the command sequence for that one as
well, if there is enough interest.

Solicitation:

Please let me know via a response in this thread if you have an
interest in such a product.  Since I'm still cutting my teeth,
so to speak, this would be a freeware venture.

Thanks,

-Curt

Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

2. JOB-US-VA-MD***Developers

3. Statscout 2.5 Network Performance Monitor & LAN Traffic Monitor released

4. A musican's method of selecting speakers

5. C++ fonts in emacs

6. Uploading/Downloading - !* It Won't Work on some BBS's *! Help??

7. Network Analysis and Performance Monitoring ???'s

8. Network Performance Monitor update

9. How to track/monitor router performance

10. Does monitor port affect performance between other ports?