Comcast installs spyware as part of their "Transition Wizard"

Post by Joel Whitburn, Jr » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 02:26:29

> seen in comp.dcom.telecom:

> Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 22:51:18 GMT

> Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
> Subject: "Transition Wizard" Package Includes Spyware

> 7-8-03

> Brian Roberts President, CEO
> C/O Comcast
> 1500 Market Street
> Philadelphia, PA 19102

> Dear Brian,

> I wanted to make you aware of an error that was committed by Comcast
> when it misrepresented the nature of its "Transition Wizard," to every
> Attbi customer who was being migrated from Attbi to Comcast.

> The piece of software which your company implored everyone on the AT&T
> system to download, in your company's description, was to make the
> transition smoother. However, unannounced, but also contained in the
> wizard, was another bit of code (software) which purposefully
> attacked/affected every one of your new customer's browsers.

> Microsoft tech support called it "virus like," as did Joanne in your
> customer service facility in Denver. Every computer/internet expert
> (many in Boulder) informed me that Comcast intended to use this new
> add-on as a spy to report, possibly for marketing goals, on people's
> browsing habits.

> While your customer service department and tech support department
> act/acted like Bevis

It's spelled "Beavis." I hope you spell-checked B4 you sent this in...

Joel

Post by Bruc » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 00:38:25

>> seen in comp.dcom.telecom:

>> Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 22:51:18 GMT

>> Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
>> Subject: "Transition Wizard" Package Includes Spyware

> Lot's of rhetoric without any substance. Sort of like a Presidential
> address.

> Show me the Weapons of Mass Destruc..., er, a... spyware. Just don't
> rant and rave about something that you imagine might be there. Let's
> have some real evidence.

> The Transition Wizard installed no spyware. There was the option to
> install the Comcast support software along with the Transition Wizard.
> It includes remote access capabilities that you can activate when
> speaking with support, and it includes back-up software. But it
> doesn't include any spyware.

> That said, I wouldn't install these programs on my machine, but not
> because there is anything evil about them. I don't need them. I don't
> need the overhead. I don't need them taking up space on my hard drive.
> But there are other users out there that can and do benefit from these
> programs.

> But "spyware"? Nope. Not there. Richard Harris either doesn't know
> what spyware is, or he doesn't know what the Transition Wizard really
> installed or how it really worked. Perhaps he's basing his accusations
> on someone else's unfounded rant. But it's not based in fact.

I agree, and I'd like to see the evidence.  One thing the Transition
Wizard did, though, that their tech support told me it wouldn't, is it
branded my dad's Outlook Express.

Bruce

Post by Claude J Orteg » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 03:34:09

> >> seen in comp.dcom.telecom:

 <snip>

Quote:

> > But "spyware"? Nope. Not there. Richard Harris either doesn't know
> > what spyware is, or he doesn't know what the Transition Wizard really
> > installed or how it really worked. Perhaps he's basing his accusations
> > on someone else's unfounded rant. But it's not based in fact.

> I agree, and I'd like to see the evidence.  One thing the Transition
> Wizard did, though, that their tech support told me it wouldn't, is it
> branded my dad's Outlook Express.

> Bruce

Fixed by doing a search in regedit for the string 'provided by Com'. Two
strings found, [ Outlook Express & Internet Explorer] removed the excess,
goodby branding.
--
Claude

Post by Bruc » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 05:15:28

>  <snip>

>> > But "spyware"? Nope. Not there. Richard Harris either doesn't know
>> > what spyware is, or he doesn't know what the Transition Wizard
>> > really installed or how it really worked. Perhaps he's basing his
>> > accusations on someone else's unfounded rant. But it's not based in
>> > fact.

>> I agree, and I'd like to see the evidence.  One thing the Transition
>> Wizard did, though, that their tech support told me it wouldn't, is
>> it branded my dad's Outlook Express.

>> Bruce

> Fixed by doing a search in regedit for the string 'provided by Com'.
> Two strings found, [ Outlook Express & Internet Explorer] removed the
> excess, goodby branding.

Ah, thank you.  I'm assuming that it didn't also set your IE to use a

Bruce

Post by Claude J Orteg » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 07:42:05

> >  <snip>

> >> I agree, and I'd like to see the evidence.  One thing the Transition
> >> Wizard did, though, that their tech support told me it wouldn't, is
> >> it branded my dad's Outlook Express.

> >> Bruce

> > Fixed by doing a search in regedit for the string 'provided by Com'.
> > Two strings found, [ Outlook Express & Internet Explorer] removed the
> > excess, goodby branding.

> Ah, thank you.  I'm assuming that it didn't also set your IE to use a

> Bruce

Just checked, and it didn't change the proxy setting that I have set. [
proxomitron].  :-)

--
Claude

1. "Transition Wizard" Package Includes Spyware

[...]

act/acted like Bevis and Butthead at every turn of my attempting to
unravel my computer and consumer problem, it seems QWEST was/is
seizing this opportunity by offering fantastic deals to all Comcast
telephone subscribers and soon internet subscribers.

All Comcast had to do was admit their mistake and honestly attempt to
right it. Instead the problem grows (look at the internet chat-rooms
and newspaper articles in the next week) and the company's credibility
plummets day after day on the internet. Don't you folks understand,
you are like a utility, trust is essential! Comcast destroyed that
trust and does not want to fix it.

I demand all customers be notified of the problem, immediately, and a
fix of some sort be offered to all. You need to hire some people whose
heads are out of the sand. Finally, I would like to see a public
apology for Comcast's betrayal of the public trust.

Richard Harris

CC by Mail

      to Boulder City Council
          BBB
          Denver Post

2. question on matrix of K_Loeve?

3. Comcast "Rust" or Comcast "Tarnish" service?

4. What do You think about that?

5. Comcast Web Based "Support" Problem --- Do Not Install Any Software from Comcast!!!!!!

6. process has 90+% of cpu

8. Possible to use full screen DDraw and keep menu bar up?

9. How Do I Install a PCMCIA Card Modem with not using the "Hardware Wizard"??

10. """seeking telecom consultant per diem basis""""

11. Confused by the term "Rom Monitor", "RXBOOT", "Bootstrap"

12. "ignored", "deferred" vs "drops"

13. modems from "Cardinal," "Zoom," and "Evertex"